Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #106
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
We have the same dictionaries. If I hook my IQ to USB and browse the Dictionary folder I do see the English_English.txt dictionary as you do.
Those are likely *not* .txt files.
The file manager is mis-identifying the Pocketbook .dic format as a "text document". My PC does the same thing with my PB360.

If you want more dictionaries, just go to the dictionary threads here; there's a couple dozen available. Some very nice ones, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #107
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Those are likely *not* .txt files.
The file manager is mis-identifying the Pocketbook .dic format as a "text document". My PC does the same thing with my PB360.

If you want more dictionaries, just go to the dictionary threads here; there's a couple dozen available. Some very nice ones, too.
Oh ok, that's probably the case. I tend to keep a paper dictionary handy rather than using a built-in dictionary. Well, I did that with my 301+, anyway. Since the IQ has a virtual keyboard, it may be just as easy to load the dictionary app.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #108
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Exclamation Pestering

I have a few requests from IQ owners and some questions.

First, can someone post a video of them writing a note with a stylus, I want to see how fast you could write that way.

Can someone please display page two and three of the following pdf (from national academy of sci.) http://www.pnas.org/content/101/14/5081 click on the "full text (pdf)" on the right - it's free. Please display it whatever way you think would make it most readable because I want to see if I'd be able to read such pdfs on the device.

Questions: My last device was a treo so I'm not that familiar with Android etc. Does the fact that the device run Android mean I could install any app from their store, like I can install software on Win7? Are there any limits? Wouldn't that mean there should be some software that can recognize handwriting - like on palms? Would that also include a reader that can take proper notes with the books?

From more experienced users, seeing that the IQ has many issues listed in other posts, from history of such new devices and PB in particular, would you say these problems would persist for long or that eventually we'll have a kick ass device as much as the hardware allows? And what does 256mb of ram restrict?

I need someone to decide for me if I should buy a smaller color backlit short battery life bug heavy cheap IQ or a large b/w long battery life expensive possibly note taking 902/903! Trouble is I need to read color pdfs and the IQ is possibly too small while the 902/903 is b/w!

Thanks in advance!
M
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #109
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Android, as implemented on the Pocketbook IQ, is an open OS just like the Palm OS in the Treo and the PocketPC OS of its competitors. You can think of it as Java atop Linux. If you can find the installation file for a given application it will install and run, subject to the usual caveats of OS Version, screen resolution, and required hardware features.

Current Android tablets are roughly comparable to the last generation PocketPC PDAs, like the DELL Axim 51v models, but with larger screens and better internet support. Or an iPod Touch. Which is to say, you can do a *lot* but they are *not* PCs.

For example, you should be able to do some light photo-editing (if you find a suitable app) but no video editing. It can run Documents-to-go but not a full heavy duty office suite. (However, Softmaker of Germany *is* porting over their PocketPC Office Suite and it is *GOOD*. By next year you'll be able to do some light Word Processing, Spreadsheeting, and presentations on it and be able to round-trip MS OFFICE files. It is currently in Beta.)

In general you should find it about as capable as your Treo, maybe a bit more.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #110
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
(However, Softmaker of Germany *is* porting over their PocketPC Office Suite and it is *GOOD*. By next year you'll be able to do some light Word Processing, Spreadsheeting, and presentations on it and be able to round-trip MS OFFICE files. It is currently in Beta.)
Oh my. Look at that. O_O It looks *great*, but it's too much for my current budget, plus I would only need the PlanMaker. *grabby hands*
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #111
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
Questions: My last device was a treo so I'm not that familiar with Android etc. Does the fact that the device run Android mean I could install any app from their store, like I can install software on Win7? Are there any limits? Wouldn't that mean there should be some software that can recognize handwriting - like on palms? Would that also include a reader that can take proper notes with the books?
You don't have access to the official Android Market like you would on an Android phone. There are ways to download installation files from websites. There is also a way to get access to the Android Market through your PC. Installing downloaded apps is super easy. I don't know about any handwriting recognition apps, you'll have to check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00
From more experienced users, seeing that the IQ has many issues listed in other posts, from history of such new devices and PB in particular, would you say these problems would persist for long or that eventually we'll have a kick ass device as much as the hardware allows? And what does 256mb of ram restrict?
The IQ has issues now because it's a brand new piece of hardware running an OS that PocketBook hasn't worked with before. Not to mention the IQ is running some last-minute firmware that was released just as the IQs were shipped. PocketBook says they're going to be refining the IQ with further firmare updates. Only time will tell. It appears they've all but abandoned the 302, but kept up with firmware updates for their 301+ and 360. I hope they don't abandon the IQ.

The 256MB of RAM is specifically for the OS to use. It's not where you store your ebooks or videos or mp3s or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00
I need someone to decide for me if I should buy a smaller color backlit short battery life bug heavy cheap IQ or a large b/w long battery life expensive possibly note taking 902/903! Trouble is I need to read color pdfs and the IQ is possibly too small while the 902/903 is b/w!
No one can do that for you but you. I wouldn't say the IQ is bug-filled. It's just not refined and the features haven't been implemented. I have experienced only two crashes of the PocketBook ereader software on the IQ. Otherwise it's been fairly smooth sailing for me for a new, first-gen, unrefined firmware model from PocketBook.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #112
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Home page is white; yellow with nov 20 firmware ( and it comes with 1913 Eng dictionary). I can't wait for 2.2, I do not know how anyone ( Apple ) can be happy without flash.
Just got my IQ and am really excited about it.
Been following this thread for a while now, since I decided to buy it.
Anyone have the Nov20 firmware yet? Mine was shipped on Nov 28 (bought from the PB website) and it has a white home screen. So am assuming it does not have hte Nov 20 firmware...

Am now going to experiment with this
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #113
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
The nice people at pocketbook service gave me a link. I was hoping it was Android 2.2. Instead it was the nov 20 (yellow home page) firmware in Russian. I was not able to reinstall my old nov 20 version in English, but I was able to change the language to English and it works almost as well. They also told me they expect the 2.2 firmware next week, so I am more anxious than ever....

The more I use it the more I like it. The reading is better than I expected. Being able to change it from day to night mode, changing the fonts size and brightness, works well. It compensates for the no eink screen; Plus, I like the dictionary.

I like the newspaper app really well and I am sure there will be more apps to like, but I have stopped checking them since many don't work without Android 2.2.

The best thing about it is I was able to sit in front of an Apple store and use their wifi while my family played inside. If Pocketbook had sent me a few extras I could have sold them on the spot.

Reading and waiting.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #114
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHeFiRsTiDioT View Post
Just got my IQ and am really excited about it.
Been following this thread for a while now, since I decided to buy it.
Anyone have the Nov20 firmware yet? Mine was shipped on Nov 28 (bought from the PB website) and it has a white home screen. So am assuming it does not have hte Nov 20 firmware...

Am now going to experiment with this
Since yours was shipped out after Nov. 20, then you do indeed have the Nov. 20 firmware. Welcome to the IQ club!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #115
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
The nice people at pocketbook service gave me a link. I was hoping it was Android 2.2. Instead it was the nov 20 (yellow home page) firmware in Russian. I was not able to reinstall my old nov 20 version in English, but I was able to change the language to English and it works almost as well. They also told me they expect the 2.2 firmware next week, so I am more anxious than ever....

The more I use it the more I like it. The reading is better than I expected. Being able to change it from day to night mode, changing the fonts size and brightness, works well. It compensates for the no eink screen; Plus, I like the dictionary.

I like the newspaper app really well and I am sure there will be more apps to like, but I have stopped checking them since many don't work without Android 2.2.

The best thing about it is I was able to sit in front of an Apple store and use their wifi while my family played inside. If Pocketbook had sent me a few extras I could have sold them on the spot.

Reading and waiting.
They just can't get their act together, can they? Firmware delays after delays, and then they give you the wrong firmware! Geez. But they actually said the next firmware is Android 2.2? That's impressive, I admit. Let's hope it all goes well for us once it's released.

Could you tell me some more about this newspaper app? What is it and where can I get it?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #116
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Can someone please take pictures of the IQ with the pdf that I linked above. Depending on how it displays I'll probably decide whether to buy the IQ or another device.

Thanks,
M
Old 12-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #117
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Can someone please take pictures of the IQ with the pdf that I linked above. Depending on how it displays I'll probably decide whether to buy the IQ or another device.

Thanks,
M
I can try it tomorrow if you can wait; it's now after midnight where I am.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #118
myle00
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
I can try it tomorrow if you can wait; it's now after midnight where I am.
Thanks, no rush.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #119
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:

Thanks,
M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1095.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	757.9 KB
ID:	62133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	849.0 KB
ID:	62134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	852.0 KB
ID:	62135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1098.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	62136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	62137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	62138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1101.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	62139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1102.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	62140  
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #120
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Well, that's weird. The forum software turned the vertical pictures sideways! The first four pictures should have shown up vertical on the forum. Download them and flip them vertical on your PC to see what's it's like reading PDFs vertically. The remaining five pictures are from holding the IQ sideways.

Reading PDFs with the IQ vertically was hard. The wods and pictures were too tight together. But holding the IQ horizontally made the PDFs very easy to read.