Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #106
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
What I'd probably like is a Iliad sized eInk Palm TX. A multipurpose device that has a killer reading app. Color would be nice but I can be happy with grayscale. To duplicate some of the TX functions on the Kindle I tried Google calender but making entries with the Kindle results in 30+ duplicate entries on the Google calender. At least I can view my calender on the Kindle. I converted my contact list into a .PRC file but I can't make entries.

The main reason I purchased the TX was for the large screen for reading and the TX was not that much less than the Kindle! I never was completely happy with reading on the TX, constant page turns, eye fatigue, and can't read outside but I liked it far better than toting around pbooks. The eInk screen is the best for me but I'm still searching for my perfect device. I realize that the controlling factor is battery size, the more functionality the larger and heavier the battery.

A dedicated reader is fine for now but one day I hope to have a PDA-like device.
I think I need to subscribe to your newsletter...that's exactly what I dream about.

First, I want to replace my TX with a good reader, but ultimately I want a PDA with a decent-size screen. I don't want a small laptop or even a UMPC, I want a reader that's easier on the eyes and with some notetaking, personal organization and, at most, easy text entry abilities.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #107
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
A dedicated reader is fine for now but one day I hope to have a PDA-like device.
Funny... I pretty much think of it in the opposite way.

I'd be good with a small b/w device for straight reading of books. In fact, for just books, I'm good with a PDA. For periodicals like magazines, I'd want a larger device, and I'd want color. So in terms of Astak's products, I might want the smaller device now, and hold out for a larger color device in the future (or once more magazines go online).
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #108
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

I'd be good with a small b/w device for straight reading of books. In fact, for just books, I'm good with a PDA. For periodicals like magazines, I'd want a larger device, and I'd want color. So in terms of Astak's products, I might want the smaller device now, and hold out for a larger color device in the future (or once more magazines go online).
There are actually a lot of magazines online already. But most are for online reading only. Check this page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free...Online_Reading

In particular check http://issuu.com/
Dale
Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #109
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
Query: eink is a technology developed, I think, by Philips and Sony. How can this company produce eink screens, as seems to be implied, quite easily? Wouldn't it need a license and, if so, how can it be sure to get it?
Since you asked, here's a brief history lesson

Electrophoretic displays were first developed in the 70's, at MatsushiIta Electronics. However they were abandoned because of various problems.

A group at MIT's Media Lab developed a means to solve many of those problems and spun out to form E Ink in 1998. Philips partnered with E Ink to develop and manufacture the displays used in the Sony Librie, however Philips has gotten out of the display fab business, and licensed/sold the electrophoretic backplane technology to PVI, who is currently the sole* production manufacturer of the bare panels used in the Sony PRS, Amazon Kindle, Bookeen, etc. So anyone is free to buy displays from PVI provided they jump through whatever hoops PVI requires of their customers. This company is simply buying screens from PVI attaching them to whatever embedded computer they chose, and putting it all in a nice package**.

*Irex being a Philips spinout has a different OEM for their backplanes (I'm not sure who it is).
** Gross understatement of the work and effort required to produce an ebook.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #110
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
TallMom, I don't understand how you can say that the TX is not that much different from the Kindle, the screen is much much smaller and for me at least there is a world of difference, which is why I don't mind carrying the Kindle around in my hand (as it does not fit in a pocket).
I don't think I said that but I would like to have a combo of a Kindle/Iliad and a TX.

Quote:

Right now I carry around a cell phone, PDA, and a reader (mostly the Kindle). Since I refuse to carry a backback or a large purse my small purse is over full. But the reading experience with an eInk reader is so superior to the PDA I'm willing to carry around an extra device .....for now.

That's why I never went with a smartphone such as the Treo, too bulky for a cellphone and too small a screen, at least for me, for a PDA.

I really want to see the Astak devices.
Advert
Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #111
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
Quote:
I think I have arthritis in my right thumb because of all the scrolling on my TX. And while color would be wonderful, it is on my list of things I'm willing to forgo. (Granted, my TX also doubles as my baby-pictures-shower-offer -- coming soon twice the kids, triple the action!) If I would want a larger-than-6" device it would be fore PDFs, but I'm happy to go smaller if there's an acceptable work-around.

I like the freedom of surfing on the TX (although, I admit it is a bit of an extravagance, I can accompany my toddler in her alloted TV-viewing time without having to shoot myself...unless it is Arthur or Yo Gabba Gabba, but I digress), but even with the TX I still could use much more screem space.

And to digress further , after playing with my friend's OLPC XO, I think an LCD screen with an XO-like ebook mode would read nearly as well as eink, would do color when necessary and be much cheaper. Color eink is, of course, inevitable, but I'm talking about what I'd be willing to pay for now.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #112
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester View Post
I think I have arthritis in my right thumb because of all the scrolling on my TX.
Now that is why it's important for readers to have page-flip control(s) for whichever hand you're holding the device with. It doesn't have to be thumb-buttons either, but could be other fingers too (or nose or elbow or whatever body parts you manage to poke the device with (now stop thinking dirty)).
Old 04-16-2008, 05:14 PM   #113
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Seamus, thanks for the history lesson, I needed it. What you say then makes me doubt the claims now made by Astak of being able to produce a large amount of readers at their price point: one of their partners may well be a screen manufacturer but can it produce these screens, and can it get rights from PVI?

TallMom, sorry if I misunderstood, but that's how I read the following sentence you wrote: "The main reason I purchased the TX was for the large screen for reading and the TX was not that much less than the Kindle!"

Last edited by radleyp; 04-16-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #114
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Seamus, thanks for the history lesson, I needed it. What you say then makes me doubt the claims now made by Astak of being able to produce a large amount of readers at their price point: one of their partners may well be a screen manufacturer but can it produce these screens, and can it get rights from PVI?
One of Astak's partners is PVI. see the wiki

Dale
Old 04-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #115
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
You're right, I should have checked that. It will be interesting to see what happens here, since if these devices appear at these prices, Amazon and Sony will not, to say the least, be happy. It looks 1) as if PVI is going into competition with its main customers and 2) possibly seriously overcharging them.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #116
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Astak/PVI connection was only briefly touched on, more than anything the comment is on DaleDe's diligence getting the detail in the Wiki, than anything else.

There is a recent item (like, today, actually) on PVI doubling their production capacity, that could have some bearing on the price drop, or anticipated price drop in the panels that Astak seems to be anticipating.

One thing's for sure, if Astak does manage to bring out devices as cheaply as they're claiming to expect, then Sony, Bookeen, iRex, et. al. will be feeling some pressure to drop their prices too. Hopefully that'll be because the costs drop.

We've been speculating around here for two years (that I've been a party to) about what happens when the economies of scale start to kick in on e-ink, maybe we're reaching some sort of transition point where that's starting to have some effect.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #117
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
TallMom, sorry if I misunderstood, but that's how I read the following sentence you wrote: "The main reason I purchased the TX was for the large screen for reading and the TX was not that much less than the Kindle!"
I meant pricewise. A TX is $300 and a Kindle $399.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM   #118
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I meant pricewise. A TX is $300 and a Kindle $399.
I knew what you meant.

Just for comparison I created this image of a 8.5x11 sheet. The grid represents where the text would appear with a one inch margin all around. Each of the colors represents a different diagonal screen measurement while keeping the 8.5x11 aspect ratio for diagonals of 4", 5", 6" & 9.7". The 4" diagonal is roughly the size of my Palm TX.

This may be of no help to others but it helps me understand the relation between the various sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen-4-5-6-9.7.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	12221  
Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #119
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Just for comparison I created this image of a 8.5x11 sheet. The grid represents where the text would appear with a one inch margin all around.
Cool. It might be useful to add 8" since that seems to be another popular size.

But for me, I'm "least unhappy" with the current 6" as a balance between a bit too small for reading on and uncomfortably large in my pocket.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd be fine with 9.7" as I carry my reader around in my bag and it would fit fine.
Closed Thread

Tags
astak mentor, e ink, e-book reader, idpg show, touchscreen, wireless