Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you delete a copy of the Koran?
Yes 67 54.92%
No 55 45.08%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #106
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Psychoanalysis could give you far better insights.
Or not.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #107
suelange
Connoisseur
suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!suelange is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
I wouldn't and in fact, I'd love a copy. I'm reading the Book of Mormon at the moment. Would love to read the Koran after that.
suelange is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #108
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Psychoanalysis could give you far better insights.
I don't place much stock in Freudian psychoanalysis. Freud deserves credit for getting people to think in new ways about mental illness and for bringing it out of the closet, but his theories were pretty shaky in my opinion. There's more to human beings than simply the sex drive, and I don't think the Oedipus complex plays as big a role in human behavior as he does.

Neither do I accept the metaphysical underpinnings of the world's sacred texts, but I find things of value in all of them.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #109
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
And just because a few crazed Muslims like to throw fatwa, doesn't mean that all Muslims agree.
Methinks that they protesteth not enough!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #110
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't place much stock in Freudian psychoanalysis. Freud deserves credit for getting people to think in new ways about mental illness and for bringing it out of the closet, but his theories were pretty shaky in my opinion. There's more to human beings than simply the sex drive, and I don't think the Oedipus complex plays as big a role in human behavior as he does.

Neither do I accept the metaphysical underpinnings of the world's sacred texts, but I find things of value in all of them.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #111
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar!
Exactly!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #112
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suelange View Post
I'm reading the Book of Mormon at the moment.
Ahh. Mark Twain's "chloroform in print." I can understand how members of the Latter Day Saints church find it of interest, but I couldn't get past the first few pages.

I'm impressed by how many people on this board have the patience to read through what seem to me the most boring of books.

Right now, I am reading a related title, No Man Knows My History: The Life of Joseph Smith, by Fawn Brodie, who published in 1945 and was ex-communicated in 1946. Now there is a one super-readable library book (not available for my Kindle).

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #113
Emmaleigh
Enthusiast
Emmaleigh began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
No, I would not delete it. What would that accomplish except a moment of hoity-toity? These are words from a book upon which a large portion of the world has based their beliefs, and while I certainly do not believe the same that doesn't discount the importance of studying it.
Emmaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #114
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
How about:

Would you burn every religious book if 100% guaranteed to get rid of religion once and for all and for good?
I was going to say I'd consider it if it got rid of organised/forced/obligatory religion (but in a more flippant manner), but giving it more thought I don't think I would. Getting rid of them all would add some kind of authority to them for starters; and it's people who interpret, reinterpret and misinterpret them to suit their own needs, consciously or sub-consciously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post
Frankly, if you are a Westerner, there are a lot of things in the Qur'an which simply aren't going to make sense if you don't have some knowledge about pre-Islamic Arabia. For example, you won't have an understanding of the idioms used, you won't understand how the split between Sunni and Shi'a happened, and you won't know the importance of the spoken word to this culture (which is important to understanding how Islam spread and why there are still Qur'an recitation contests to this day). I could go on about these kinds of things for pages and pages.
There are currently three Muslims in my team at work, two of whom are very happy to expound at length about their religion, its history, interpretations and so on - what makes this genuinely fascinating to me is that one is a Sunni (as is the less verbose one) and the other is a Shi'a. It takes me back to encountering the children of Catholics and Jews at school for the first time and seeing the differences between the non-Christianity I was brought up (*) with and the upbringing given by more religious families.

(* (my nanna and aunt both professed to be CofE, but raised me (unintentionally, I suspect) as a pagan agnostic) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am far too busy buying copy after copy of Dan Brown's books and deleting every one of them. And I will keep buying and deleting his books till he learns his lesson and quits writing them!

... OMG... what have i done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I am against all book burnings, unless it is for the purpose of keeping warm and there is nothing else to use, i.e. wood. And religious texts would be the last to be burned, no matter what religion.
Ditto. Except the books that I would burn last would be the ones I was most fond of. The ones I was least fond of would go first, regardless of any religious content.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #115
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The topic's idea has never been about deleting a file. The OP hoped that we will digress to discussing political issues...I am very tempted to say
OP (me!) most certainly did not want digression to political matters.
I'm happy to hear peoples views and opinions on this matter. It's an awkward thing for me, the idea of deleting anything - let alone books.
It makes me hesitate to download the Koran just in case someone decides I'm evil for deleting it later on to make space for something more readable - for instance, just to ensure that it is not publicly known that I'm reading a religious text that attracts negative attention here. (Think about how many times one has handed a liseuse to a stranger to demonstrate it.)
It doesn't sound like an especially good read and I feel ambivalence towards religious texts in general, so your opinions are of interest to me!
I once had a great satirical novel written from God and Satan's perspective respectively and that got negative attention once upon a time - people mistook it for the Bible!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #116
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I once had a great satirical novel written from God and Satan's perspective respectively and that got negative attention once upon a time - people mistook it for the Bible!
One of my favorite books is The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. So funny and engaging! (And insightful, of course. I mean, it is C.S. Lewis) I don't know if you've read it yet, but if you haven't, you should definitely take a look. Sounds like something you might be interested in.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #117
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One of my favorite books is The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. So funny and engaging! (And insightful, of course. I mean, it is C.S. Lewis) I don't know if you've read it yet, but if you haven't, you should definitely take a look. Sounds like something you might be interested in.
Borders.com.au have it for AUD$19.90 - may be the next book I get
Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 AM   #118
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I read that nearly 40 years ago. It's an interesting book; written from the point of view of a demon named Screwtape who is advising his nephew on the finer points of tempting souls to damnation. Christian apologetics to be sure; but done with a light hand and an entertaining style.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-16-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #119
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
It makes me hesitate to download the Koran just in case someone decides I'm evil for deleting it later on to make space for something more readable - for instance, just to ensure that it is not publicly known that I'm reading a religious text that attracts negative attention here. (Think about how many times one has handed a liseuse to a stranger to demonstrate it.)
It doesn't sound like an especially good read and I feel ambivalence towards religious texts in general, so your opinions are of interest to me!
I have trouble picturing a situation where someone would know that you had a Koran on your reader and deleted it, and feel offended by it. But of course if you don't want to read it in the first place, it's simpler not to put in on your reader or your hard drive.

I have several books on my reader I feel mildly ashamed for reading, or that might lead to misconceptions about my beliefs. I would not choose these books to demonstrate my reader, but I wouldn't hide the fact that they are there. I have created folders, one is called "religion" and has the Bible and other texts in it (not the Koran I think but it may end up there at some point, though I don't really plan on reading it). Another is called "romance" and has all the trashy stuff, and some not trashy at all but still romance. If someone wants to see my reader, I will just navigate to another folder and a book I'm not reading (don't want to lose my place), and show it to them.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 AM   #120
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am far too busy buying copy after copy of Dan Brown's books and deleting every one of them. And I will keep buying and deleting his books till he learns his lesson and quits writing them!

... OMG... what have i done?
It's all fun and games till someone ends up with an empty bank account, a rich Dan Brown and nothing else to show for it..