Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #106
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tested the pinch to change font size a couple of times then disabled it in Settings. I don't change font sizes that often and, in my limited testing, I found that I couldn't control the font size change with any degree of precision.
Yeah, for me pinch for font size was similar to how the power button on my Pixel can also be used to pull up the camera. I never used it on purpose. It only happens accidentally and irritates me.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #107
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tested the pinch to change font size a couple of times then disabled it in Settings. I don't change font sizes that often and, in my limited testing, I found that I couldn't control the font size change with any degree of precision.
Me too. The circle is too small for me to really judge what I'm getting.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2022, 11:45 PM   #108
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocketbook, kobo aura h2o, kobo forma, kobo libra color
I wish that when you pinched for font size change, the circle size would change with it.
As is, the size feedback is poor.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:08 AM   #109
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
In two minds about the pinch to adjust font size myself.
Tried it once, seemed slow and coarse, so disabled it.
Then I tried it again and it was faster and more accurate, no idea why.
It may be useful with a book with outrageously large or small font that I need to normalise before fine-tuning the size.
But I have Bookerly font, the same size all the time and stick to that, so only need to adjust when the book's CSS fights me on it
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:24 AM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
In two minds about the pinch to adjust font size myself.
Tried it once, seemed slow and coarse, so disabled it.
Then I tried it again and it was faster and more accurate, no idea why.
It may be useful with a book with outrageously large or small font that I need to normalise before fine-tuning the size.
But I have Bookerly font, the same size all the time and stick to that, so only need to adjust when the book's CSS fights me on it
You do realize that when you change the font size, the next eBook you open after that will keep the same size setting which will most likely be too large or too small. It's best to edit the font size in the CSS of the eBook so the main font size is the default of 1em.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2022, 04:50 AM   #111
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do realize that when you change the font size, the next eBook you open after that will keep the same size setting which will most likely be too large or too small. It's best to edit the font size in the CSS of the eBook so the main font size is the default of 1em.
Yes indeed.
Sadly I do try to avoid editing CSS if possible - and before too long find to my cost that I shouldn't have been lazy, and end up editing CSS before transferring books, then get lazy again and stop doing it - and so it goes on
Old 07-31-2022, 04:54 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Yes indeed.
Sadly I do try to avoid editing CSS if possible - and before too long find to my cost that I shouldn't have been lazy, and end up editing CSS before transferring books, then get lazy again and stop doing it - and so it goes on
But if all you are doing is fixing the text size, that's very easy and takes very little time.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:27 AM   #113
Ned
Ebook reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if all you are doing is fixing the text size, that's very easy and takes very little time.
I have already set up a standard minimal CSS to paste into my books that does all I need, but I'm not always as clinically rational as I would like to be.
Sometimes, I just don't bother and usually regret it.

Oh for a world where everyone behaved rationally and logically

Last edited by Ned; 07-31-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:05 AM   #114
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Further, the new pinch-feature could be nice but I get mixed results: sometimes the preview of the changed font is not shown at all (just a white circle), or the font change reaction on pinching is very slow. Both noticed on the Libra 2. I assume some additional tweaking is needed for the future.
I know "pinch to change font size" used to be a feature of older Kobo firmware releases, and as I recall, it has never worked particularly well, which I suspect is why it was removed in the first place. I don't know why they brought it back now.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #115
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One one of my readers, I almost dropped my reader and caught it with the screen causing my fonts to go all wonky. I guess it was the Nook, but I could swear it was my Aura.

Anyway, I hated pinch to change font size. It was a feature I would never use and only caused problems when I activated it by accident.
The Kobo Aura used a two finger swipe to change the front light brightness, but if your finger tips were just the right distance apart, it would register as a pinch instead. Very annoying.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:30 AM   #116
mdeluca
mdeluca began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Pinch to Change Font Size not available in Libra 2

Updated to 4.33.19759, and pinch to change font size is not available, and this option doesn't show up on Reading Settings page. "Add Dictionary" (which is also part of the new firmware) is present.

This has also been discussed on Reddit , where some Libra 2 owners are saying they have pinch to change font size and others say they don't - and Kobo support says it's only supported on Libra 2 for PDFs (not ePubs).

Any information here about what may be going on?
mdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 10:47 AM   #117
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I know "pinch to change font size" used to be a feature of older Kobo firmware releases, and as I recall, it has never worked particularly well, which I suspect is why it was removed in the first place. I don't know why they brought it back now.
From memory, it was only on the Aura. It might have been removed because it didn't work well and was only on the one device that was no longer available. Bringing it back now is probably because people have asked for it. It has been mentioned as a lack in the forum. And maybe Kobo think the newer devices can handle it better. But, it's just as likely that there is someone new at Kobo in a senior enough position to that has forced it through.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:11 AM   #118
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, it's just as likely that there is someone new at Kobo in a senior enough position to that has forced it through.
Luckily some old hand at Kobo then probably sneaked in the option to disable it as an anticipation that it will not be to everybody's taste. I'm using that option now.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:17 AM   #119
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
If it were quantized it would be far more useful. As it is now, it is difficult to achieve a reproducible font setting repeatedly.
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:27 AM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeluca View Post
Updated to 4.33.19759, and pinch to change font size is not available, and this option doesn't show up on Reading Settings page. "Add Dictionary" (which is also part of the new firmware) is present.

This has also been discussed on Reddit , where some Libra 2 owners are saying they have pinch to change font size and others say they don't - and Kobo support says it's only supported on Libra 2 for PDFs (not ePubs).

Any information here about what may be going on?
On my Libra 2, pinch to change font size does work with ePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-31-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release