Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #106
Thedragongod
Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: iPad
space dragons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Writers are always warning each other to stay away from cliche elements like elves and dragons. But the truth is, I LOVE dragons. Almost any dragon, in any form, as long as it's neither imbecilic nor smart-mouthed. All other things being equal, I'm more likely to buy a book with dragons in it than one without.

What about you guys?
[self-promotion removed - moderation]

To answer your question: I say YES, but only if you are a risk taker. I took a risk when I decided to write about space dragons, but I've been with them in my imagination for years.

Last edited by dreams; 10-19-2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: [self-promotion removed - moderation]
Thedragongod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #107
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i like dragons lol. they've got to be aloof and look at humanity as a pest though or even just be wild predators ala the movie Reign of Fire. i dont want warm and fuzzy dragons.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #108
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I'm so not a fan of dragons. Especially the talking variety. It makes me feel like I'm in a children's book or something. Talking dragons? Seriously? *sigh*

One of the things that's cool about fantasy is that you can make stuff up. There's no catalog of existent mythological creatures that you're forced to pick from. So why dragons all the time? It's formulaic. And it's a formula that never worked for me even the first time I read it.

If there are going to be dragons, I don't want them doing any more than being a mute cameo. Seriously, come up with something new. But I am so sick of dragons that even a very subtle mention of dragons makes my brain tick over, and I swear I can't remember the next 3 pages after "dragons" first appears because my head has decided based on that word that whatever comes next is not important.

Elves... I like elves. But I'm starting to get sort of tired of the LotR-style ones, which are everywhere, because the characters are always the same. The reason I'm getting tired of them is the same reason Superman is boring.

Superman is too perfect. There's nothing wrong with him. Yeah, there's kryptonite, but it's so predictable and I don't mean allergies, I mean his personality. There's nothing gripping about his personality. He's a Boy Scout in leggings. That's boring.

A lot of elves in modern fantasy are too perfect as well. They got the looks, the brains, the magic, the pretty handwriting, and everyone hates them because they're just soooo perfect. It's sort of like the premise of any high school drama. And it's boring.

I like seeing gritty elves. In fact, I'm going to take this opportunity to ask for recommendation of books with messed up, evil/antihero, badass elves.

Give me some personality. Give me something I can relate to. I'm tired of "teenage dream" elves.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? My problem with both of these things are related. In both cases, my problem is that the author is writing "stick characters" - flat, unengaging characters - because it's easier to do and they care more about the action than the characters.

In the case of dragons, they're avoiding having to develop characters at all by using an absurdity as a distraction, and in the case of elves they're just embuing them with a character type that's been trotted out so many times it should really just be shot. Why?

Because it's an easy way to avoid spending time on the characters when you'd rather talk about the world or the action. And a LOT of fantasy writers do this. I HATE this. I want characters AND world/action. If the characters suck why should I care?

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-18-2011 at 11:44 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #109
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
There is no refreshing, new twist that an author can come up with for dragons... it's been done.
While I agree that most plots (with or without dragons) have been done, and often done to death, I come across concepts/characters/plots that are new or refreshing to me.

Tea with The Black Dragon by R. A McAvoy for instance is not your usual run of the mill dragon story.

I am pretty dragon neutral but if a book is good a dragon or two is often a bonus.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #110
Thedragongod
Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Thedragongod is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
I'm so not a fan of dragons. Especially the talking variety. It makes me feel like I'm in a children's book or something. Talking dragons? Seriously? *sigh*

One of the things that's cool about fantasy is that you can make stuff up. There's no catalog of existent mythological creatures that you're forced to pick from. So why dragons all the time? It's formulaic. And it's a formula that never worked for me even the first time I read it.

If there are going to be dragons, I don't want them doing any more than being a mute cameo. Seriously, come up with something new. But I am so sick of dragons that even a very subtle mention of dragons makes my brain tick over, and I swear I can't remember the next 3 pages after "dragons" first appears because my head has decided based on that word that whatever comes next is not important.

Elves... I like elves. But I'm starting to get sort of tired of the LotR-style ones, which are everywhere, because the characters are always the same. The reason I'm getting tired of them is the same reason Superman is boring.

Superman is too perfect. There's nothing wrong with him. Yeah, there's kryptonite, but it's so predictable and I don't mean allergies, I mean his personality. There's nothing gripping about his personality. He's a Boy Scout in leggings. That's boring.

A lot of elves in modern fantasy are too perfect as well. They got the looks, the brains, the magic, the pretty handwriting, and everyone hates them because they're just soooo perfect. It's sort of like the premise of any high school drama. And it's boring.

I like seeing gritty elves. In fact, I'm going to take this opportunity to ask for recommendation of books with messed up, evil/antihero, badass elves.

Give me some personality. Give me something I can relate to. I'm tired of "teenage dream" elves.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? My problem with both of these things are related. In both cases, my problem is that the author is writing "stick characters" - flat, unengaging characters - because it's easier to do and they care more about the action than the characters.

In the case of dragons, they're avoiding having to develop characters at all by using an absurdity as a distraction, and in the case of elves they're just embuing them with a character type that's been trotted out so many times it should really just be shot. Why?

Because it's an easy way to avoid spending time on the characters when you'd rather talk about the world or the action. And a LOT of fantasy writers do this. I HATE this. I want characters AND world/action. If the characters suck why should I care?

[promotional reference deleted - MODERATOR].

I find poetry stories to have better-developed characters than Novels. Go into a bookstore and browse the fantasy section. You'll see nothing but vampires, dragons, and the word "blood" everywhere. I've written about space dragons and I'm disappointed with fantasy books these days.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-19-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Thedragongod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #111
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders and the Rain Wild Chronicles are two good trilogies that center around dragons.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #112
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #113
silvan4now
Groupie
silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silvan4now ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
hehe dragons and i say yes. this is mainly because they are the main reason the good guy saves the prices :P
silvan4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If there are going to be dragons, I don't want them doing any more than being a mute cameo.
Same here.

Quote:

Elves usually bore me, regardless... so your request is particularly difficult for me, but I can't resist a few suggestions:

Shawn Oetzel's Dying Moon. An elf in a gritty, LA detective, noir-ish story.

Michael A. Stackpole's Once A Hero. They're elves. They're not really good, they're not really bad, but they're definitely not Peter Pan-ish.

I hear Chris Evan's Iron Elves Trilogy is quite gritty, but I've no first hand experience.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #115
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Hell. Yes.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #116
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I heart dragons.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #117
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I heart dragons.
I love their hearts. On a BBQ. Medium-rare. Yum!
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #118
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Elves usually bore me, regardless... so your request is particularly difficult for me, but I can't resist a few suggestions:

Shawn Oetzel's Dying Moon. An elf in a gritty, LA detective, noir-ish story.

Michael A. Stackpole's Once A Hero. They're elves. They're not really good, they're not really bad, but they're definitely not Peter Pan-ish.

I hear Chris Evan's Iron Elves Trilogy is quite gritty, but I've no first hand experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”
Thank you! I'll check those out.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #119
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Everything's Better With Dragons! (WARNING: that link goes to TV Tropes.)

Unfortunately, some stories are insufficiently good that even they cannot be ameliorated by the presence of dragons and/or use them in an inappropriate manner such that they might as well have no dragons in the first place because there's just no helping some tales.

Conversely some stories are very good indeed, even though they seem to lack apparent dragons to the untrained eye. You may safely assume that they do indeed contain stealthy invisible dragons lurking in the margins* and making everything better, much as medieval maps noted that they did†.

* ObNancyKress: "Occam's Razor… isn't the only way to shave."

† As did, apparently, the occasional "serpents of such great magnitude that they can swallow up a cow whole".

Last edited by ATDrake; 10-19-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Everything's better with smileys!™ And fix footnote placement.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #120
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i like dragons lol. they've got to be aloof and look at humanity as a pest though or even just be wild predators ala the movie Reign of Fire. i dont want warm and fuzzy dragons.
This is inline more-so with what I like. I actually prefer the way Martin has been doing dragons in ASoIaF so far. I prefer my dragons not speak.

Elves... nah.

Zombies are ok but they better not be fast. Zombies are slow shambling creatures.

Last edited by Grimm; 10-19-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote