Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 AM   #106
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Last time I looked, my Kindle hasn't done the update. I haven't done anything to my kindle (hacks or anything) So where's the update?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #107
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
The email from Amazon says something automatic self-update within the next few weeks. It also provides a link if you want to manually download and install the update. Have you gotten an email from Amazon?
This is the manual update link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...324680&#manual
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #108
khoaha
khoaha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
netfront.ini file for firmware 2.2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusano View Post
I have played with my Kindle a little bit too much and it seems that I have changed some files, causing update 2.3 to fail. In particular I get:

ota_install: C def : patch : patchinfo="/opt/amazon/ebook/config/netfront.ini":checksum failure

Would somebody be so kind and upload netfront.ini (version 2.2.2).

Thanks
Here is the netfront.ini file in the 2.2.2 firmware. Just change the extension to .ini.

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: txt netfront.txt (11.3 KB, 369 views)
khoaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Forgive the question, but have you got the wireless turned on? When I turned on my wireless yesterday, after receiving an e-mail from Amazon about the update, my Kindle updated itself within the hour.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #110
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby View Post
Last time I looked, my Kindle hasn't done the update. I haven't done anything to my kindle (hacks or anything) So where's the update?
You could try checking that wireless on and then in the settings menu force a synchronize and update. I don't have my unit here so I am not sure about the exact name but you should be able to find it.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 AM   #111
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I've been leaving my wireless on since I learned about the update yesterday morning and I haven't got it yet. I don't have any hacks installed (I'm happy they exist but I'm too lazy to do anything about it :-) so I think it just takes longer for some Kindles than others. I'm guessing Amazon doesn't want to do too many Kindles in parallel (maybe their data plan with the cell phone company has some sort of maximum bandwidth agreement?) so those of us who happen to be farther down in the queue have to wait a while.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #112
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I imagine they are hoping by slowly rolling out the updates that the more tech savvy of us will download it ourselves and save them some money.

I know that is what I would do if I were one of those bean counters.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #113
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
The new update is currently not a part of the reset file. If you simply do a factory reset you will have 2.0 and not 2.3 on your Kindle2. Make sure you have a copy of all your ebooks currently on your machine. I just did a factory reset this morning and had to download 2.3 all over again. This is for those who want to go back.

Download off Amazon (I have a MAC) and put file on your Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 12.49.28 PM.png
Views:	198
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	40155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 12.48.44 PM.png
Views:	203
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	40156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-26 at 12.53.14 PM.png
Views:	212
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	40157  

Last edited by pagansoul; 11-26-2009 at 12:55 PM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
If you simply do a factory reset you will have 2.0 and not 2.3 on your Kindle2.
That's for the US Kindle. For the international version, it will be 2.2.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #115
LeegleechN
LeegleechN began at the beginning.

In reply to my own question of how to see logging output, you can do it by running ";dumpMessages" in the search bar. This will copy the log into the documents directory, so you can read it directly on the Kindle.
LeegleechN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #116
dusano
dusano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoaha View Post
Here is the netfront.ini file in the 2.2.2 firmware. Just change the extension to .ini.

Good luck.
Thanks. It has helped. I've successfully updated my Kindle.

Greetings
dusano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #117
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive the question, but have you got the wireless turned on? When I turned on my wireless yesterday, after receiving an e-mail from Amazon about the update, my Kindle updated itself within the hour.
I've been leaving my wireless turned on...still waiting for the update.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Have you done a "Check for new items"? That appears to be what triggered the update for me.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #119
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Why not just do it manually? That's what I did.

Works fine, last's a long time.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #120
Trilby
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you done a "Check for new items"? That appears to be what triggered the update for me.
I've done that several times since the announcement...and nothing. I'm wondering if it's because where I am the signal isn't all that great, so I'm going to bring my Kindle with me when I go into town today, the signal is a lot better there.