Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #106
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
For the love of all that's holy, can some moderator PLEASE lock this thread so those with a pathologic need to "get the last word in" can't anymore?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #107
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
For the love of all that's holy, can some moderator PLEASE lock this thread so those with a pathologic need to "get the last word in" can't anymore?
IF you do not like the thread. DO not read it. quite simple. There are many threads at MR.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #108
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
For a while there was some good info in this thread and I was learning a few things that I didn't know before about Calibre (which I love BTW), but the cattiness that has resulted and the back-and-forth arguing is getting to be detrimental. That kind of behavior is detrimental to the boards as a whole IMHO and being told simply "not to read it" doesn't solve the problem. I am not the only one who has asked that this thread be closed.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #109
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
That kind of behavior is detrimental to the boards as a whole IMHO and being told simply "not to read it" doesn't solve the problem.
After your last post I gave you Karma for having the pathologic need to "get the last word in". Now it looks like the karma was well deserved.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #110
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I'm dual booting windows and linux. Installing calibre on the two OS, and on the same library will most likely conflict right ?
It shouldn't, unless you run both boots at the same time. I have my library on my external HD, so I can run it both on my laptop and and home. Unless, naturally, Calibre does things different on Linux than on Windows, folder-wise.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #111
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There IS a problem there, with the way calibre manages files. What if, instead of fighting like idiots, we worked together to find a solution, and get these vital changes into calibre done ?
Wouldn't that just make everyone happier in the end ? People like me will be able to use calibre, you won't have support whining and pestering anymore.

So, enough with fighting, let's find a solution and end this once and for all.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-02-2010 at 03:29 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #112
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
I'm dual booting windows and linux. Installing calibre on the two OS, and on the same library will most likely conflict right ?
Wrong.
I have Calibre installed on a tri-booting Windows/Fedora/Ubuntu PC, and all three share the same library. Try it out, you'll be amazed at how easily two installations of Calibre manage the same library.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:10 AM   #113
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
There IS a problem there, with the way calibre manages files. What if, instead of fighting like idiots, we worked together to find a solution, and get these vital changes into calibre done ?
Wouldn't that just make everyone happier in the end ? People like me will be able to use calibre, you won't have support whining and pestering anymore.

The solution, as has been said before, would be you coding the behaviour you want and submitting it as a patch, which Kovid, as he has said multiple times before, won't dismiss. A few ways of working around what you perceive to be a problem without the need for some new code have also been suggested.
So, the options are rather simple: Either you accept that nobody currently developing has any interest in changing the way Calibre works and go looking for something else, or you start modifying Calibre the way you'd like it to behave, or you use Calibre with what facilities there are now.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #114
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

It's a problem only for you and a few others.
It's already been told you, but I will repeat it:

I am a coder, and I know enough python to work on Calibre if I want. To make me work on a software, though, I must either be paid or be interested in adding that feature. In this case, I'm not paid by anyone, and I'm not interested in that feature.
That feature is not vital, despite what you say, because it's interesting for you only, and more importantly my life doesn't depend on it (the very definition of vital).
I will submit code to Kovid only the day that I find that Calibre lacks a feature that I really want, and today is not that day.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 AM   #115
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
for you only
Given the number of people complaining about this, I guess not.
Even some now happy with calibre said they had to adapt.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #116
Lo Zeno
Addict

I also want to add one consideration:

Calibre uses the folders' structure as his database, which (probably, I'm not sure) is what allows two Calibre installation (for example in a dual-booting Windows/Linux PC) to share the same library. If you make a change (add a book, edit a title, change author...), it is reflected in the folders' and files' structure, so when you boot into the other OS and re-open Calibre you'll see the change "ported" to the other installation immediately.

If Calibre were to change the way it works, for example by using some sort of database interface to index and tag its files and to keep its metadata organized, it would (again, probably, since I haven't yet looked deep enough into its code) lose this nifty feature, because any change made to your ebooks, say, while using Calibre in Windows would cause data corruptions and disalignment once you open Calibre in Linux.

So, it would (probably) lose a feature that many like me love, to add a feature that a few others like you want.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #117
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
I also want to add one consideration:

Calibre uses the folders' structure as his database, which (probably, I'm not sure) is what allows two Calibre installation (for example in a dual-booting Windows/Linux PC) to share the same library. If you make a change (add a book, edit a title, change author...), it is reflected in the folders' and files' structure, so when you boot into the other OS and re-open Calibre you'll see the change "ported" to the other installation immediately.

If Calibre were to change the way it works, for example by using some sort of database interface to index and tag its files and to keep its metadata organized, it would (again, probably, since I haven't yet looked deep enough into its code) lose this nifty feature, because any change made to your ebooks, say, while using Calibre in Windows would cause data corruptions and disalignment once you open Calibre in Linux.

So, it would (probably) lose a feature that many like me love, to add a feature that a few others like you want.
I quite see your point. That's also why the first step is to figure out how to change things, in a way that will satisfy every one. And causing the less breakage.
It seams the simple way to get this working is user defined setting for library template. At install, just asks the user the template to use for the library, and use it.
Then you set the same template for both OS, and voilà.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #118
Lo Zeno
Addict

Quote:
Given the number of people complaining about this, I guess not.
Even some now happy with calibre said they had to adapt.
Then contact them via MP, work out a solution with them, submit it to Kovid. He won't reject it, he's happy when people submits new features that don't break how Calibre already works.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #119
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Zeno View Post
Then contact them via MP, work out a solution with them, submit it to Kovid. He won't reject it, he's happy when people submits new features that don't break how Calibre already works.
Work out a solution with them ? Hey, what about the rest of calibre users ?
Kind of stupid to go code stuff, then have your code rejected because it breaks stuff other actually cares about.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #120
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Well, I think that it might work. Give it a try.
I am dualbooting as well. Except I haven't booted into windows more than 5 times during the last two years. And since they screwed KDE I am not using FreeBSD as much as I used to. Nowadays I spend most of my time in Mint Linux.

I was resisting using of Calibre as my book cataloging tools for a long time. Directories worked well enough for me, until there were too many of them ;-) in various places, with various formats, with conflicting info.
But, since all other solutions were worse than Calibre I gave it a *serious* try.
OK. The Calibre GUI isn't exactly my cup of coffee. The GUI still isn't customizable and I can't make toolbar button for the functionality I want. But they made quite a lot of improvements lately.

With the introduction of Regular Expressions for many operations inside Calibre I just couldn't resist using it any more.

I still access folders with books occasionally. Just open right panel and click on "Click to open" and the folder/directory with the book will be opened to you.

When I select books I want to load into my reader or just "pull out" of the "Calibre Black Box Storage (TM)" I simply select the books, right click and select "save to disk". You can go wild with possibilities here. You can construct any directory structure you wish for book output. There are even *optional* directories, so if you have series info the books are put into series folder, if the series field is empty, the folder isn't created.
And with the new Metadata plugboards, combined with custom columns, combined with power of Regular Expressions the sky is the limit!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote