Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #106
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Any plans for a larger jetBook? Portability isn't really an issue to me so I'd prefer a 6-9" size screen.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #107
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
galavanter, what is your firmware version?
I see that the latest 30f available on
http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php
When unzipped the 30f file, I get a CRC error. I went ahead and tried to flash it, but it failed. Did you get the CRC error? I think I'll try the download again before going back to 30e.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #108
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
When unzipped the 30f file, I get a CRC error. I went ahead and tried to flash it, but it failed. Did you get the CRC error? I think I'll try the download again before going back to 30e.
The file unzipped automatically on my Mac. I don't know what a CRC error is, but I didn't get one.

However the update fails repeatedly for me. After buying the jetBook, preloaded with 30e, I downladed and reinstalled 30e when I had an issue I thought it might correct. I had no problems reinstalling the firmware.

I am following the same instructions from Ectaco's forum (slightly better than the instructions on the download page) as I did with 30e.

I charged the jetBook overnight, thinking that might be the problem, but I still get a upgrade failed message every time after around 30 seconds into the transfer.

My SD card is a small 256 mb I had laying around. The 8gb in my Kindle isn't compatible. The instructions on the download page say one should have 100 mb free space but on the Ectaco forum they say 300 mb. Other than that I am following the instructions to the letter. I have a 2gb in the mail.

I guess I will try it using Windows in a bit.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #109
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Well, my jetBook arrived yesterday, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I have the font set to the default size, and my ancient eyeballs are quite comfortable with it. I stuck a 2 GB micro SD (i used a Micro so I can download files with my cell phone) and stuffed about forty books in it that I had previously de-DRMed. I opened the book I’m currently reading on my Sony, and did a search for one of the words on my current page. Walah! I was synchronized.

Da buggah fits in my trousers pocket, and that’s a HUGE plus. Now I can load up some professional references, Army Regulations (I work for the Army), general references and have them available whenever needed.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #110
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
The file unzipped automatically on my Mac. I don't know what a CRC error is, but I didn't get one.

However the update fails repeatedly for me. After buying the jetBook, preloaded with 30e, I downladed and reinstalled 30e when I had an issue I thought it might correct. I had no problems reinstalling the firmware.
I reloaded 30e with no problem. Guess I'll wait for 30g or the final release, which ever comes first. I finished a PDF book from Feedbooks this AM and have a couple Mobi books queued up to read next.
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #111
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Well, my jetBook arrived yesterday, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. I have the font set to the default size, and my ancient eyeballs are quite comfortable with it. I stuck a 2 GB micro SD (i used a Micro so I can download files with my cell phone) and stuffed about forty books in it that I had previously de-DRMed. I opened the book I’m currently reading on my Sony, and did a search for one of the words on my current page. Walah! I was synchronized.

Da buggah fits in my trousers pocket, and that’s a HUGE plus. Now I can load up some professional references, Army Regulations (I work for the Army), general references and have them available whenever needed.
Cool. You can save these documents in RTF format. I have a friend who use jetBook for the same purpose but He didn't paid for it because Army purchased several units for them (He is in Germany now) and loaded the unit with many instructons and manuals.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM   #112
smithno
Groupie

I just downloaded the 30f firmware again. They fixed the CRC error. I unzipped it with no problem and the jetBook is updating as I write this.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #113
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
I just downloaded the 30f firmware again. They fixed the CRC error. I unzipped it with no problem and the jetBook is updating as I write this.
I'm glad that this problem was fixed. It will be nice if you can compare jetBook
with EZ Reader (interface, screen, etc).
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #114
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Unless they pulled it right after you downloaded it you have reinstalled 30e, not f. I just downloaded it again twice after reading your post, figuring I'd give it another go.

Although the zip file reads 30f as it is downloading, when unzipped it is back to 30e.bin if you look in the firmware folder, with the same April 2 creation date. 30f.bin was April 21. Check your firmware version in System Settings so I can be sure I can still handle one Heineken.

Last edited by galavanter; 05-05-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #115
smithno
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Unless they pulled it right after you downloaded it you have reinstalled 30e, not f. I just downloaded it again twice after reading your post, figuring I'd give it another go.

Although the zip file reads 30f as it is downloading, when unzipped it is back to 30e.bin if you look in the firmware folder, with the same April 2 creation date. 30f.bin was April 21. Check your firmware version in System Settings so I can be sure I can still handle one Heineken.
I did not notice the files inside were 30e. Oh well, it gave me practice flashing the thing..
Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #116
galavanter
Zealot

Well they've renamed the file correctly now back to 30e. I guess it wasn't just us having a problem with the install.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #117
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Kris777 (or anyone),
I have asked a relative to check out the BB&B jetbook in the US for me. Fortunately, there is a store nearby to her and she has the -20% coupon.
Now, here's the question:
Seems the Jetbook in the UK and Europe comes with a 1-year INTERNATIONAL warranty - does the USA Jetbook also come with this?

My concern is that if the unit is defective in some way - can I exchange it without having to send it back to the US?
I know that nothing is 100% perfect - but have you jetbook owners had to return many units? I haven't noticed many grumblings regarding hardware...

Appreciate the assistance!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 AM   #118
galavanter
Zealot

There was no warranty info inside my jetBook box from BB&B. Scroll down here for warranty info from the US site:
http://www.ectaco.com/company/terms_and_conditions

You might want to post this question on Ectaco's forum:
http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-forums/show/45.page

The jetBook seems very well put together to me, but I understand your warranty concerns nonetheless. I hope you manage to get one soon, as you have been putting plenty of effort into it.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #119
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Thanks galavanter!
You don't know the half of it: I tried to order the EZreader from Frys, then I looked into European Hanlin sales sites (expensive), then I was going to buy the Sony 505...

Really, I'm not certain if I am so indecisive or if the state-of-the-technology in ereaders is just confusing! I love "toys", have an advanced degree in CS, teach IT technology at the university level - I would think that I should be quite sure of what I want! Of course, I do not have the option of actually seeing/using the devices.

All of the devices have pros and cons. The jetbook screen display (and refresh) seems quite good for a 5" device which is my main concern, and thanks again for your screen images. I'm very content for now with non-DRM mostly txt format books - so this is a great price-point to see if I really would use an ereader on a frequent basis.

I'll probably just take the (slight) risk - after all, there are all the wonderful knowledgeable people on this forum to help! I really do appreciate it.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #120
galavanter
Zealot

Yeah what the hell go for it. It's a nifty little paperback ereader. I like it so much my Kindle 1 is for sale in the Flea Market here (plug).

Last edited by galavanter; 05-06-2009 at 05:08 AM.