Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #106
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wow, that sounds brilliant !! post photos ? i'd love to see those.
Here we go with some collection samples.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea Urchin-Sponge-Crab Claw.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	18145

(Left to Right) One type of sea urchin, a sponge, and the lower half of a crab's claw.

Name:	Fossil wood - Sea Urchin - 2 Oyster Types.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	18144

(Clockwise) A piece of petrified wood from the ranch. A large Oyster, a Small Oyster (original carbonate), and another type of sea urchin.

Name:	Natilus - Upper Cretaceous.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	18146

A nautilus inside. The original outer shell is gone, but you can see the inner separations, and the indent in the side. Nautiluses are not common in the strata, ammonites (their cousins) are.

I like you new avatar, :leer:
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #107
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
aha, okay ! thanks. how is that formed ? sediment or inclusions ?

(i still don't get the jokes. maybe i need a nap. that sounds really tempting right now. perhaps i should make some tea instead. arg, work.)

What Pshrynk doesn't understand is that we aren't joking.
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM   #108
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Picture rock: avatar: salacity: just too much to think about.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #109
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Here we go with some collection samples.
pretty !! sea urchins are beautiful. do you have any ammonites ? if they look like nautiluses (nautili ?) they must be beautiful too.
Quote:
I like you new avatar, :leer:
heh. no leering, it's Art. and you can thank vr for it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #110
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Picture rock: avatar: salacity: just too much to think about.
ah. so in fact i didn't get the jokes because i am far too pure of heart.

(i could still do with a nap though.)
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #111
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
pretty !! sea urchins are beautiful. do you have any ammonites ? if they look like nautiluses (nautili ?) they must be beautiful too.

heh. no leering, it's Art. and you can thank vr for it.

Not the I've personally collected. Ammonites around here are Texas size, and I don't have the room. (I've seen and touched one over 1.5 meters across.) The nautilus in the picture is 15cm and weight about a kilo. I have some commercially collected ones that are small, but I was showing off what I'd collected...

Smart Doggie... Check you avatar thread for some real art (courtesy of Roty)
Old 11-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #112
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
LOL! Me too! They say I'm like a bird, because I have to see and touch everyone's jewelry. I hope you are still friendly enough with the GF that she can show you where the big shiny rocks are lurking. Let's talk ROCKS!
We are still friends, but she is in Texas. Other then the Smithsonian, perhaps, the nicest mineral collection I've seen was when I was down there with her and visited the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I was drooling over the Beryl's and such that looked like they came from Superman's fortress of solitude...
Quote:
You are close enough to NC to go pick up some fist-sized pretty amythests in NC. www.gemmountain.com
Probably 10-12 hour drive from me, heh. There was a Quartz mine upstate, in PA, but it has been shut down for a couple years now. I was actually going there one weekend and we had the remnants of a hurricane pass thru flooding most of the state. http://www.raytowneinc.com/CrystalPointDiamondMines.htm

Quote:
Next year, probably in the late spring, I'm going to take Faceting and Tim is taking Silversmithing at the lapidary college.
I have a few books on silversmithing. I have the GIA diamond course, bout it on faceting. I almost got ahold of a faceting machine, but was short that week. I do have a diamond bruting lathe, which is an interesting story in itself.

Quote:
We will probably go on a field trip with the rock club up to Franklin, hopefully sooner rather than later.
Remember to bring a good UV source, worlds largest source of fluorescent minerals. Also about the most diverse mineral deposit in the world, though some recent Russian digs have started to come up with a huge amount of unique material. http://www.franklinmineralmuseum.com/
Quote:
I've got a gorgeous cabachon pendant of picture rock, set in silver, that came from there. It's not the usual brown desert scene that comes from Oregon, but it is blues and greens, and it makes a fairy glade scene. I got the cab for $5 at a rock show, believe it or not! It's so unusual that I believe it would sell for upwards of $1000 or more - but they would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me!

Today, I'm wearing a brand new pendant that I didn't make because I can't facet. It's a rubellite, emerald cut, ~1 ct, 14k gold, that I found at Gem Mountain. You can get all sorts of sparklies out of the dirt there!
Some of those jaspers are amazing. I have a few little agate pieces. Some blue topaz, a trilobite , but mostly I just admire others. Haven't really gotten a collection going yet. Probably cause I drool over museum grade stuff and have a hard time settling for a thumbnail specimin of rhodolite, lol.

Me and the ex-g/f sometimes get on chat and start looking at sites like http://www.exceptionalminerals.com/ together. It's a good way to kill a night.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #113
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ummm... Anyone happy that we found Marc?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #114
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Did we find him?

-MJ
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #115
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
Did we find him?

-MJ
Him or a reasonable clone, yah.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #116
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Not the I've personally collected. Ammonites around here are Texas size, and I don't have the room. (I've seen and touched one over 1.5 meters across.)

Quote:
Smart Doggie... Check you avatar thread for some real art (courtesy of Roty)
"real" art ?? what have you got against surrealism ?? (think very carefully before you answer that...)
Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #117
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Quote:
Did we find him?

-MJ
Quote:
well that's all right then.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #118
mjh215
Guru

I meant rhodochrosite, not rhodolite...

-MJ
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #119
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I meant rhodochrosite, not rhodolite...

-MJ
OK, now I have to look up rhodochrosite. I betcha it's something pink!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM   #120
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Swaps? What (or who) are we getting for Marc?
Quote:
i can't think of anyone crazy enough to swap something for marc.
Quote:
Quote:
Well, *I*'m sure glad we found Marc. How can I continue to crush on him, if he goes missing? I would have swapped my entire collection for him. Sheesh. I'm lost without a crush-ee.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screaming mad adrian, unutterable silliness