Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2023, 03:13 PM   #1156
qkqw
Connoisseur
qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This thread has some info on how to set up syncing with rclone: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348430
qkqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:56 AM   #1157
lumping-sugar66
Enthusiast
lumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Hello everyone.

I just started dipping my toe in the vast feature set of NickelMenu, and it's awesome!

One thing I'm trying to figure out is whether the lock-protection can be enabled via NickelMenu or not.
I want to create a "Privacy Mode" item that would both enable screensavers so that the cover is hidden and also engage a password until I toggle it back off.

I want to use this in public environments where I don't want people unlocking the device without me noticing, but passwords are cumbersome to use in normal times so an easy way to turn it on and off would be awesome.

---

As a side note, while the device is sleeping, is it in any way possible to add some additional info that page? Just like NickelClock forcing the clock information onto the page, I want to put some basic text there saying something like "If found, please return to <Name Here>"

Thank you!
lumping-sugar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2023, 03:46 PM   #1158
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think you can toggle the screensaver on and off, since the feature is enabled not by a configuration option but by having a screensaver folder with images in it. You can use a screensaver to accomplish your second goal, though. Prepare an image with the "If found..." text you want, place it in the screensaver folder, and use that instead of the book cover when the device is off or sleeping.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #1159
lumping-sugar66
Enthusiast
lumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I mean, this works for the screensaver bit:
Code:
menu_item :main    :Toggle screensaver  :cmd_output :500 :quiet :test -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
     chain_failure :skip :3
     chain_success :cmd_spawn :quiet :mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver
     chain_success :dbg_toast :Screensaver on (Wallpapder Mode)
     chain_always  :skip :-1
     chain_failure :cmd_spawn :quiet :mv /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver /mnt/onboard/.kobo/screensaver_old
     chain_success :dbg_toast :Screensaver off (Cover Art Mode)
It just moves the screensaver folder to screensaver_old back and forth. So that's a toggle right there! It's not an elegant solution but I'm happy with it.

As you suggested, I have screensaver images with text in them right now. But I'm more curious about the lock option.

If you (or anyone) can point me in where the pin settings are stored in the kobo filesystem I can write something up. Whether that's in an sqlite db or some config file I don't mind. I did my best to search the root filesystem but couldn't find anything.
lumping-sugar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 06:01 PM   #1160
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, the firmware is smart enough to notice whether the folder exists without having to reboot in between? That's neat.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2023, 06:02 AM   #1161
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Would it be possible to use Nickelmenu to spawn somethings(s) that would search and replace something in the (Kobo) config file?

I would like to modify the light level if possible.

Last edited by John F; 11-26-2023 at 06:04 AM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:30 AM   #1162
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Would it be possible to use Nickelmenu to spawn somethings(s) that would search and replace something in the (Kobo) config file?

I would like to modify the light level if possible.
Modify the light level how?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:01 AM   #1163
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Modify the light level how?
I'm not sure, that is why I am asking.

I'm not a unix/linux person. Maybe something like SED could be used to edit the Kobo config file. I am not asking to actually change the visible light level, just the entry in the Kobo config file.
Old 11-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #1164
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure, that is why I am asking.

I'm not a unix/linux person. Maybe something like SED could be used to edit the Kobo config file. I am not asking to actually change the visible light level, just the entry in the Kobo config file.
I could be wrong, but I would have thought that changing the entry would change the light level.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:45 PM   #1165
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I would have thought that changing the entry would change the light level.
I could be wrong, but I would guess it depends on how the entry is changed.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:58 PM   #1166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Would this not do it? I know it doesn't touch the config, but it does turn the light on and off to whatever value you want. I've not tried decimal points such as 3.5 to see if that works.

Code:
menu_item : reader : Frontlight On : cmd_spawn : ioctl /dev/ntx_io 241 -v 3
menu_item : reader : Frontlight Off : cmd_spawn : ioctl /dev/ntx_io 241 -v 0
Old 11-26-2023, 01:58 PM   #1167
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't know if you would need to reboot or not. Would going to sleep and then woken be enough?

I would manually experiment with the config entry and see if it suits your needs and then try to find a way to do it with NickelMenu. If it doesn't, you don't need to find a way to do it.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:17 PM   #1168
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't know if you would need to reboot or not. Would going to sleep and then woken be enough?

I would manually experiment with the config entry and see if it suits your needs and then try to find a way to do it with NickelMenu. If it doesn't, you don't need to find a way to do it.
Jon, please reread my posts. I know I can modify the entry with a PC. I want to be able to modify it with Nickelmenu. If modifying the entry also changes the physical/visible light level, that would be a plus.

Do you know how to change the entry in the config file using NickelMenu?
Old 11-26-2023, 02:27 PM   #1169
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, please reread my posts. I know I can modify the entry with a PC. I want to be able to modify it with Nickelmenu. If modifying the entry also changes the physical/visible light level, that would be a plus.

Do you know how to change the entry in the config file using NickelMenu?
I do not know how to do so using NickelMenu.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:40 PM   #1170
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Out of curiosity, why would you want to change the setting in the config file without changing the physical light level as well? I suppose you could launch vi and use that to edit the file using a NickelMenu entry but not sure if that could work since NM seems to launch a background process and I don't think Kobo pre-installs fg or equivalent.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel