Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-06-2023, 11:09 PM   #1066
Geremia
Addict
Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!Geremia rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Calibre
automerge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by komali_2 View Post
[*] In that menu, click "Merge All Groups." Remember, this option is only available if you are using the "Find Duplicates" plugin with my changes (available at github link above, or maybe when you're reading this, merged into the main plugin).
I wish your commit was merged into master. An auto-merging feature is desperately needed.
Geremia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:58 PM   #1067
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia View Post
I wish your commit was merged into master. An auto-merging feature is desperately needed.
That will never be in my interest to do so. I think it is the single most dangerous thing you could do to corrupt your library (I have other words for it but they may offend).

If you have yourself in a situation where you are creating so many duplicates that you feel you need to automate resolving them then go back and take a good hard look at how you got into that mess in the first place and change your workflows.

Automated merging has a 99% chance of making the problem even worse for you, not better. There are way too many reasons how this goes wrong - remember duplicate groups in many situations are not "guaranteed" duplicates, they are suggestions. There are no guarantees unless you have been meticulous about each book added to your library whether the book actually is what the metadata indicates it is - and if you were a meticulous person then you would not even be in the situation of thousands of duplicates. Let alone when you start doing any sort of non-exact searches with all the false positives it will find.

The plugin can make no determinations as to which of the items in the group it should merge into. One may have "better" metadata. One might have a better format conversion of the book.

So automated merging is the equivalent of "close your eyes and hope for the best". That is not a behavior I want to encourage by adding it as a feature to the plugin, because inevitably people will come here after it goes wrong for them and complain about why the plugin could not figure it all out for them to prevent it.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2023, 11:32 PM   #1068
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
That will never be in my interest to do so. I think it is the single most dangerous thing you could do to corrupt your library (I have other words for it but they may offend).
corruption as in database corruption, or "severely eff'd up data" corruption?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:45 AM   #1069
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
corruption as in database corruption, or "severely eff'd up data" corruption?
Data. Lost books, lost metadata, metadata pointing to the wrong books.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:59 AM   #1070
random733
random733 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is there any working version with the auto merging feature? komali2s version (1.8.5) here unfortunately does not work with the latest Calibre version (linux and windows) - keeps requiring a reboot without the plugin being fully installed.

I understand the concerns about the dangers to the integrity of the library. But I think you can manage the risk with a backup. And in the end, everyone is responsible for actually using this function (which is also explicitly declared as dangerous).
random733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2023, 10:05 AM   #1071
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by random733 View Post
Is there any working version with the auto merging feature? komali2s version (1.8.5) here unfortunately does not work with the latest Calibre version (linux and windows) - keeps requiring a reboot without the plugin being fully installed.

I understand the concerns about the dangers to the integrity of the library. But I think you can manage the risk with a backup. And in the end, everyone is responsible for actually using this function (which is also explicitly declared as dangerous).
How much time does doing this manually from the results take?
Even previewing versions of a 'dup', only takes a couple of minutes to resolve (merge, dump one or let stand).

If you are having to process very many results after your initial culling, I would say you need to rethink your process.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #1072
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I find it rather interesting to wonder about how people are obtaining their ebooks that would cause so many duplicates. My thoughts tend to meander in the direction of downloading multiple collections of ebooks which suggests copyright violation in bulk.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:23 PM   #1073
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I find it rather interesting to wonder about how people are obtaining their ebooks that would cause so many duplicates. My thoughts tend to meander in the direction of downloading multiple collections of ebooks which suggests copyright violation in bulk.
Before I started using Calibre, I had slightly sloppy file management practices and ended up saving eBooks in several different folders. If I were to import those folders to Calibre I'd end up with quite a few duplicates.

But seeing as I have a brain injury and most people don't, the "collections of pirated eBooks" feels more likely.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:27 AM   #1074
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Before I started using Calibre, I had slightly sloppy file management practices and ended up saving eBooks in several different folders. If I were to import those folders to Calibre I'd end up with quite a few duplicates.

But seeing as I have a brain injury and most people don't, the "collections of pirated eBooks" feels more likely.
I had a similar experience with duplicates when I first started using calibre and was adding my collection of ebooks in a directory structure to calibre. However, since I only had one calibre library, when I imported the contents of a directory, calibre whined about my adding duplicates based on the book title.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:43 PM   #1075
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And we probably only built (added books) the Library ONCE.
I move a nested folders worth at a time, then Archived that folder so it wold not be done again.
Repeated, fixed
until there was only THE Calibre library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:03 PM   #1076
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
I hate to ask if this is redundant, but I finally updated from a much older version to find that the advanced features is not included. Are we not doing this anymore? I am trying to match an identifier that isn't showing matched in one library but is showing them in another.

I am trying to make sure that all my ebooks that I have sent to Amazon after editing are matching up with what I have in my library. Amazon has a special id for those docs and I have called it "stk mobi-asin" I have a special library with those books and I can't seem to get the plugin to match with it. This is a new problem.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #1077
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=30
Old 01-31-2023, 01:38 PM   #1078
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
One way I sometimes get duplicates is when I download the latest version of an eBook and the name in the eBook is changed so I don't get flagged about a possible duplicate.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:06 AM   #1079
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One way I sometimes get duplicates is when I download the latest version of an eBook and the name in the eBook is changed so I don't get flagged about a possible duplicate.
I've had the same type of situation but of them when the new version has extraneous junk in the downloaded book title (does anyone really think that adding : A Novel to the book title is useful?) but it doesn't happen en masse to the point where I would want to accept the potential issues of a automated mass merge. Very few people would like to have their ebook library omeletted.

How are you finding the duplicates if the title has changed? The ones I've found have been when I've edited the metadata and run Find Duplicates on both my intake and main libraries afterwards.

"On ne saurait faire d'omelette sans casser des œufs"—François de Charette

Last edited by DNSB; 02-01-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #1080
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've had the same type of situation but of them when the new version has extraneous junk in the downloaded book title (does anyone really think that adding : A Novel to the book title is useful?) but it doesn't happen en masse to the point where I would want to accept the potential issues of a automated mass merge. Very few people would like to have their ebook library omeletted.

How are you finding the duplicates if the title has changed? The ones I've found have been when I've edited the metadata and run Find Duplicates on both my intake and main libraries afterwards.

"On ne saurait faire d'omelette sans casser des œufs"—François de Charette
Sorting by author when I know I've downloaded it before works. If not, sometimes finding by similar titles can work if the change is not too different.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross library duplicates, in library duplicates