Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-02-2022, 03:50 AM   #1036
LuisNeto
LuisNeto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello. First of all: thank you, @davidfor, for developing this plug-in.

I have just installed and experimented with the plug-in and my Kobo Libra 2, and I have a question: can it retrieve annotations/highlights from books purchased through the Kobo store which do not exist in my Calibre Library?
LuisNeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 AM   #1037
Cacofiend
Cacofiend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi. I can't seem to browse any of the annotations. They're imported from Kindle to PC, but then I can't view them.

I have them: https://i.gyazo.com/b5072ca9178bbb58...ef2cd42e6a.png

The annotation browser is empty: https://i.gyazo.com/3582fa321051fe2b...6c7a9a5d7a.png

And if I open any book with annotations, they're not displayed in the book itself either.

What am I doing wrong?
Cacofiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 05:41 AM   #1038
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisNeto View Post
Hello. First of all: thank you, @davidfor, for developing this plug-in.

I have just installed and experimented with the plug-in and my Kobo Libra 2, and I have a question: can it retrieve annotations/highlights from books purchased through the Kobo store which do not exist in my Calibre Library?
For Kobo devices, annotations are only fetched for books on the device that match to books in the library. The annotations are stored in a custom column for the book. Without a match, there is nowhere to put them.

You can add the book as as an empty book (use the author and title) or download it from the Kobo store and add the epub, or use the Obok plugin (part of the DRM tools) to add it from the Kobo desktop. Whichever you do means there will be something in your library to match with the device and then store the annotations. It also gives you something to track the book such as when you bought it or read it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 05:45 AM   #1039
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofiend View Post
Hi. I can't seem to browse any of the annotations. They're imported from Kindle to PC, but then I can't view them.

I have them: https://i.gyazo.com/b5072ca9178bbb58...ef2cd42e6a.png

The annotation browser is empty: https://i.gyazo.com/3582fa321051fe2b...6c7a9a5d7a.png

And if I open any book with annotations, they're not displayed in the book itself either.

What am I doing wrong?
That isn't how the plugin works. The plugin fetches the annotations and adds them to a column for each book. It does not integrate in any fashion with the calibre annotations. That might change in the future, but, probably nor for Kindles.

For the record, this plugin was create a long time before the annotations was added to the calibre viewer. The first post in this thread describes how the plugin works. If how the plugin works ever changes, that post will be updated.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:42 AM   #1040
Cacofiend

So currently there is no way this plugin can simply list the annotations? And you can't jump between them? If you want to see what notes you left for yourself, you have to scroll through the entire book to find them (which will probably take a long long time)?

It's just so weird that I have to ask this.

Is there any other plugin that does what I'm looking for?

I can't even check if this plugin works, because I can't find a single note in my books. Because there's no search function.
Advert
Old 05-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #1041
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So currently there is no way this plugin can simply list the annotations? And you can't jump between them? If you want to see what notes you left for yourself, you have to scroll through the entire book to find them (which will probably take a long long time)?

I can't even check if this plugin works, because I can't find a single note in my books. Because there's no search function.
If the plugin is configured properly, the annotations for a specific book will be trasferred either to the Comments section or a custom column used for annotations in calibre.

Edit: I use a custom column and sorting on that column moves the annotations to either the bottom or top of the list.

At least that's how it works here.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-02-2022 at 01:38 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #1042
Cacofiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If the plugin is configured properly, the annotations for a specific book will be trasferred either to the Comments section or a custom column used for annotations in calibre.

Edit: I use a custom column and sorting on that column moves the annotations to either the bottom or top of the list.

At least that's how it works here.
Yes, on my screenshot I have them in a custom "annotations" column, but I have a hundred annotations in one book, and the column only displays a single line. You can hover over it, but it'll display a hover element. This can't be used to browse them.

As for comments, I don't see how I can open them and browse them as comments. Could you post a screenshot?
Old 05-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #1043
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Yes, on my screenshot I have them in a custom "annotations" column, but I have a hundred annotations in one book, and the column only displays a single line. You can hover over it, but it'll display a hover element. This can't be used to browse them.

As for comments, I don't see how I can open them and browse them as comments. Could you post a screenshot?
Did you try the Find Annotations option in the plugin's menu? A click and hold for a second or so on the Annotations column opens the Edit "Annotations" dialog though I've never had more than 4 or 5 entries for a single book (I use annotations to mark items that I want to correct such as typos, misuse of punctuation, etc.) so not sure how much text it will show. Not to mention that I remove annotations after the corrections are made.

As for Comments? They show in the Book Details pane under the Comments: heading. You can edit the comments as part of the Edit metadata individually option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view_from_calibre_gui.png
Views:	124
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	193588   Click image for larger version

Name:	view_from_metadata_editor.png
Views:	131
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	193589   Click image for larger version

Name:	editing_from_annotations_column.png
Views:	128
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	193590  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 10:17 PM   #1044
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

The plugin is working as designed. I will repeat an important statement about the plugin:

Quote:
For the record, this plugin was create a long time before the annotations was added to the calibre viewer.
I thought that and the rest of my statement made it clear how the plugin worked and why it worked that way.

And honestly, it can "simply list the annotations". They are listed in the column the annotations are fetched to. Which means you don't scroll through the book to see them, you look at the metadata for the book. But, if you want to look at the context of the annotation, you will need to open the book separately.

And no, there are plugins that add annotations to the calibre annotations. If there was, I would have mentioned it. And honestly, as you have a Kindle, I doubt there ever will be. There might be one for Kobo devices with epubs, but, that will happen when I have more than a few moments of time to sit down and write the code.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #1045
icanhardlyread
icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icanhardlyread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
David, I'm not sure if you just missed my previous post or didn't want to address it (which would also be fine).

To add on to my previous post, I feel somewhat confident that once I've located it, I can contribute code to fix the problem I mentioned, but due to all the moving parts involved between different source formats being delivered to the device as KEPUBs via the KoboTouch Extended driver and this plugin reading the location of a highlight, it'd be massively helpful if someone with previous knowledge of the code involved could point me towards likely culprits. Even knowing whether it makes more sense to start my search with the driver or this plugin (let alone specific scripts) helps.
icanhardlyread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #1046
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
First thanks for the plugin and sorry for my spelling mistakes, I'm not fluent in English.

Well, for some reason that I don't understand I get the message "Unknown" in the field where the number referring to Location/Page should be.
So, out of curiosity, I deleted the My Clippings. I changed my Kindle's language to en_US. I redid the annotation on the Kindle and used the puglin again, well... it looks like it worked! In place of "Unknown" I get the correct information regarding the location of my annotation. What happened?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle in en_US.png
Views:	120
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	193707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle in pt_BR.png
Views:	109
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	193708  
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #1047
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
First thanks for the plugin and sorry for my spelling mistakes, I'm not fluent in English.

Well, for some reason that I don't understand I get the message "Unknown" in the field where the number referring to Location/Page should be.
So, out of curiosity, I deleted the My Clippings. I changed my Kindle's language to en_US. I redid the annotation on the Kindle and used the puglin again, well... it looks like it worked! In place of "Unknown" I get the correct information regarding the location of my annotation. What happened?
It means the words used for matching the lines with the location in it is different than what I have for your language. Can you send me a copy of your "My Clippings.txt"? And tell me which annotation it was and what language you were using. You can attach the file here, or if you prefer, upload it somewhere and send me a PM with the link.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #1048
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle language: pt_BR

Annotation:
"É o meio de um dia de semana, em alguma estação do ano qualquer."

Page: 6
Attached Files
File Type: txt My Clippings.txt (213 Bytes, 92 views)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:54 AM   #1049
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
Kindle language: pt_BR

Annotation:
"É o meio de um dia de semana, em alguma estação do ano qualquer."

Page: 6
It is the word "página". Previously, it had a capital "P". I have added this, but, also changed the search to being case insensitive. The attached beta has the fix. I'll release it when I have confirmation that it works.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Annotations-beta.zip (680.8 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-10-2022, 12:48 PM   #1050
DenS
Connoisseur

Thank you very much! it worked very well

Tags
sampleexportingapp