Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #91
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
I don't have any greasy fingerprints on my 900 screen. I do seem to get them on the matt black surround though.

I wash my hands before using it, and I agree the old fingernail use minimises any marks. Although I use my fingernail because I am too lazy to extract the stylus.

Are the people out there who have to eat fried chicken whilst reading? I would not recommend a touch screen for you!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #92
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
My 505 arrived today and is currently charging. I love love love the look and feel of it. Lets hope I like reading from it.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #93
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Have fun reading on it. It's a great device
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #94
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I'm sure you love it.
It's really a great device
The look and feel is awesome compared to other plastic devices.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #95
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traye View Post
My 505 arrived today and is currently charging. I love love love the look and feel of it. Lets hope I like reading from it.
I'm sure you will. Do I remember right that you already had a reader before getting the 505? I will be interesting to see which one gets most use in a couple of months.

Congrats again
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #96
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Thanks folks! I just posted in another thread that I've had it for a couple of days. It only arrived yesterday and it seems longer because I haven't put it down.

TGS, you are correct! I have an iriver story. I MUCH prefer the 505 so far. I'm afraid my iriver hasn't had a look in.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #97
Keef
Enthusiast
Keef began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Reader
I just ordered the 900. Being able to download books right from the E Reader is an important feature for me. Now that the price dropped to $349, it is even more appealing.
Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #98
virplay
Enthusiast
virplay began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really dont know what to do buy or not the prs 900

I read in some forums, and everybody talks about glare and contrast problems.

I read some books on a prs 600 touch, and the glare and bad contrast problems are there and sometimes difficult to read.

Is the 900 same as the 600 contrast and glare difficulties?

Any help?

Any pict to watch the prs 900 screen to help me?

And what about the nook? The screen seems like the kindle2, good contrast

Thx (sorry for my english)
virplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #99
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Basically each person has other priorites when it comes to E-Readers.

I started with the PRS-505 and it was/is great. But i always wanted a bigger screen and the dictionary. PRS-900 also adds pan&zoom for PDFs which are important too for me.

Now that i own a PRS-900 i love it. Although i can't use 3G (non-US) i'm fine with that; not important for me. Due to Apple and others the PRS-900 is cheaper than ever.

Personally i recommend the PRS-900.
Go get one, and you'll love it.

If you need games, internet, color....that's another story and device.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #100
virplay
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Basically each person has other priorites when it comes to E-Readers.

I started with the PRS-505 and it was/is great. But i always wanted a bigger screen and the dictionary. PRS-900 also adds pan&zoom for PDFs which are important too for me.

Now that i own a PRS-900 i love it. Although i can't use 3G (non-US) i'm fine with that; not important for me. Due to Apple and others the PRS-900 is cheaper than ever.

Personally i recommend the PRS-900.
Go get one, and you'll love it.

If you need games, internet, color....that's another story and device.
the 7" is ok, but the glare and the bad contrast in the 900 is there. Well is what I read in many forums, users returning back their 900 cause that problem and they cant read well.
What can u say about it?

Last edited by virplay; 06-15-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 AM   #101
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by virplay View Post
the 7" is ok, but the glare and the bad contrast in the 900 is there. Well is what I read in many forums, users returning back their 900 cause that problem and they cant read well.
What can u say about it?
Sony 900 definitely has less glare than Sony 600.
But it's no Sony 505 either.
For me, Sony 900 still is one of my best units. The features by far outweigh the glare. But if you compare Sony 900 to, let's say, nook or Sony 505, you can't overlook the glare. It's there - for some it's a showstopper, I'm perfectly fine with it though.
And it's still one of the most elegant/beautiful readers out there.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #102
virplay
Enthusiast

Thx. Glare and contrast are still there I like the 900 but not sure yet. Do you have any good high res pic of the 900 with a text? Just yonder the glare. Thx
Old 06-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #103
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Don't you have a store nearby where you can compare the 300 to the 600? This makes the difference most obvious. I have the 600 (used the 505 before), and yes, the 505 was much better. But like mgmueller states, the 600/900 has advantages neither the 505 nor the 300 has. So for me it was a no brainer, even though I would have preferred the display of a 300/505. I think a picture will only give a brief impression, but to really see the difference you need to see the real deal.

I can try to make a picture with the same text on my 505 and 600 tonight if this would help though (but this takes about 8 hrs as I'm at work right now).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #104
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by virplay View Post
What can u say about it?
Right, the glare is still there ; don't have a 600 to compare with.
Still having the 505 i prefer the 900. The glare is sometimes annoying but the better features and the size of the 900 outweigh or me.

It would be best to compare them at a store near you.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #105
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
the size of the 900 outweigh or me
The size of 900 frustrates me.
I want a bigger ebook reader and preferable from Sony herself, I love my 505 to bits.
Why do I want bigger?
With my current 6", when I go to Large fonts size, I don't like the layout. 2-3 words per line. If I had a bigger screen it would help. However, 900's 7" is absolutely useless for that It has exactly the same width as 6". No, I don't want to read in landscape mode

SONY, my dear me please!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glare, sony 300, sony 505, sony 600, sony 900