Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #91
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Um, no. The *book* may be formatted with too-large margins, but the ereader just displays what the book tells it to.
Most of my books have very tiny (2pt) margins, and if they don't, I reformat them.

But that is exactly the issue. while you have to reformat the books, my reader adjusts it automatically for me as I like. The less hassle I have, the better for me. If you don't mind formatting, good for you!

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #92
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
But that is exactly the issue. while you have to reformat the books, my reader adjusts it automatically for me as I like. The less hassle I have, the better for me. If you don't mind formatting, good for you!

cheers,
kaas
Well, that is a nice feature, I admit, but it's not what you originally said. If my margins are too large it's the book's fault, not the reader's. The Sony does not have large default margins, it doesn't have default margins at all. I think the Kindle might, but I'm not sure.

It's a *rare* book I have to reformat. Nothing wrong with the reader.

The Pocketbook 360 is a *very* nice device, but you don't have to sell it by posting misinformation about other devices.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #93
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Hi khalleron,

I understand what you are saying. While it is true that large margins are a books fault, and not produced by a reader, it is not always possible to reformat. I am buying about 90% of my books, which come protected courtesy of DRM. As cracking is too much a hassle for me, the option to format does not exist...

cheers,

kaas

p.s.: I know the 505, as I had one for nearly two years. I would not switch back.
p.p.s.: I am not selling the pocketbook. I have no affiliation to pocketbook but truly like the product. Something that I couldn't say about the PRS 505 or the Cybook Gen3.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 AM   #94
gpsygirl
gpsygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Kaas, I'm curious about what you like better with your pocketbook than you did with the 505? I'm just shopping for the right device for me and am curious about your experience. Also wondering if you have had any trouble adjusting to a smaller screen.
gpsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #95
kaas
Muncher of ebooks

Actually, my Sony took ages to change Font sizes. It often froze when opening largish PDF files (about 5MB), and was slow to open books or repaginate them. Also no dictionary, which is a huge benefit if you read in different languages than your own.
While it is a nice device, it is also an aged device with a slow processor and -in my opinion- not enough ram. The build quality of the 505 clearly is superior to the pocketbook, as it has a metal body, but that wasn't really important fro me.
I had no issues at all adjusting to the smaller screen (especially as I have no margins on the pocketbook) and have not once regretted the change...

cheers,
kaas

Last edited by kaas; 11-20-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #96
gpsygirl

Thanks, you're getting me very excited. I don't care about a metal body one way or another either, but felt a little concern over the smaller screen. In general I like small, super portable things, and I think the case cover snapping on is a fabulous idea that makes it even easier to slip the reader into anything and take anywhere.

I just want to make sure it's the best one. Yes, I realize there are different readers for different people of course, but that is why it's so valuable to get other people's reactions and experiences. Especially as this will be a gift (I know he's getting me a reader, and he'll get whichever one I say I want ) and so returning or changing to another reader quickly won't be an option.

Thank you again, and to all who are adding to the discussion!!
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #97
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
yes, this is all adding to the anticipation, i'm just waiting for my 360 to turn up.
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #98
ctkierst
Enthusiast
ctkierst began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook IQ
While I love my new PocketBook 360, I did run into a few problems that I thought I'd mention.

1) I had to upgrade my Mac (iBook G3) to be able to connect to it (it was due for an upgrade, but this pushed up the necessity level),
2) I haven't yet figured out the correct format for the micro SDHC card that will let both the Mac and the ereader see the card and its contents,
3) most of my epub files (and yes, they're DRM-free) will not display, though other reader software (and my iPhone) will display them.

The last two items have been reported to customer service, and they're looking into it, but I haven't received an answer yet.
ctkierst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #99
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I ordered my 360 yesterday and it shipped yesterday. WOW! It took me weeks to decide on the color and - against my usual inclination- I went with ivory. I'm a little worried about how the finish will hold up over time but I can use the reader as a guinea pig. I'll report on the resiliency of the finish over time as the months rolls by.

I have a 505 that I may have a hard time leaving behind. I love the Lightwedge and will struggle with using a headlamp to read the 360 in the dark but oh, well...

I'll report on my impressions of the 360 after I've had a chance to play with it for awhile.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #100
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkierst View Post
2) I haven't yet figured out the correct format for the micro SDHC card that will let both the Mac and the ereader see the card and its contents,
Not 100% sure but I think FAT32 would be pretty safe.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #101
gpsygirl

Interesting things to take note of ctkierst, as I have a mac also. Please keep us updated on the solutions and further issues.

Yes Katelyn, there doesn't seem to be a great light for it yet, does there? It seems like it would be difficult to attach a mighty bright or something of that sort to it...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #102
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Can anyone comment about the support from the manufacturer in the US? For example, I see a "latest firmware for the 301" link in the www.pocketbookreader.com website, but no update for the 360. The same goes for the FAQ.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #103
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctkierst View Post
While I love my new PocketBook 360, I did run into a few problems that I thought I'd mention.

1) I had to upgrade my Mac (iBook G3) to be able to connect to it (it was due for an upgrade, but this pushed up the necessity level),
I do not understand.
My Mint Linux (an Ubuntu clone) has absolutely no problem accessing the microSD card or connecting to the PocketBook. The reader appears to the computer as a standard USB external disk (or a card reader or an memory key) - in other words a standard umass device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #104
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Can anyone comment about the support from the manufacturer in the US? For example, I see a "latest firmware for the 301" link in the www.pocketbookreader.com website, but no update for the 360. The same goes for the FAQ.
My experience has been good. Response time is very quick and with a good attitude. They also host several dictionaries and other programs that will work on the Pocketbook series. The pocketbook 360s are shipping with the most current official firmware. The experimental firmwares that some of us have been trying out are available elsewhere on this forum. They are experimental betas and that probably explains their absence from the website.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #105
coredump
Enthusiast
coredump began at the beginning.

So, I will close the deal on the 360 tomorrow. What color is best? The engravings on the cover of the ivory model are kinda girlie, while the same engravings on the black model are more symetric.
BUT I read somewhere that the white model is easier in the eyes, is that true?
coredump is offline   Reply With Quote