Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2022, 01:54 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While having a KePub on screen, I tried the swipe to see previous books. I picked an ePub and I was switched to the ePub in RMSDK. Well done on that.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:33 PM   #92
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In both ePub and KePub, with Rakuten Serif, I searched for ffi and had a look and ligatures do work.
I also looked at this a bit more and I think you're right. The ligatures in this particular font aren't very distinctive anyway. Perhaps the missing tables aren't essential for ligatures to work.

What is noticeable to me is that kerning for Regular in kepubs is not right. Epubs look OK kern-wise. It looks like the "missing" GPOS kern tables are important to kepubs but not to epubs.

In addition, I think the "missing" tables are already in there somewhere because when I opened the Regular ttf with FontForge and regenerated the ttf without making any deliberate changes the GPOS/GSUB tables miraculously "reappeared" in the regenerated ttf. For someone who understands what they're doing it should be fixable. Whether it *will* be fixed by Kobo remains to be seen.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 04:51 PM   #93
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Why not just install Nickelclock to display the time and battery % at the top of your screen all the time? No need to tap anything then.
I have both the header and footer disabled to maximise the amount of space available for page rendering. I don't want to waste screen real estate on information that I only need periodically. I'd much rather have Kobo either move the position of the battery icon in the menu, or always show the battery percentage, instead of requiring a tap to display it.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:17 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I also looked at this a bit more and I think you're right. The ligatures in this particular font aren't very distinctive anyway. Perhaps the missing tables aren't essential for ligatures to work.

What is noticeable to me is that kerning for Regular in kepubs is not right. Epubs look OK kern-wise. It looks like the "missing" GPOS kern tables are important to kepubs but not to epubs.

In addition, I think the "missing" tables are already in there somewhere because when I opened the Regular ttf with FontForge and regenerated the ttf without making any deliberate changes the GPOS/GSUB tables miraculously "reappeared" in the regenerated ttf. For someone who understands what they're doing it should be fixable. Whether it *will* be fixed by Kobo remains to be seen.
There is a problem with kerning in the regular font. It's not showing up when I view the font at https://fontdrop.info. That's even after a generate.

My guess is that it's because of the GDEF table not being correct or missing.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-23-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #95
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Is it just me, or are the new fonts only showing up on some devices? I see them on my Libra 2 after updating, but not my Elipsa or Aura ONE.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
Is it just me, or are the new fonts only showing up on some devices? I see them on my Libra 2 after updating, but not my Elipsa or Aura ONE.
It's not an issue (IMHO) as Rakuten Serif (the regular version is broken) is broken and doesn't work properly.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:27 PM   #97
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
The new fonts are working identically on devices I have updated thus far: Sage, Elipsa and Libra 2. All are patched.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:58 PM   #98
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
On my Elipsa the font selection list is short and there's a scroll down arrow at its bottom which I had to click on in order to see the new fonts. Weird given that the Elipsa has a large screen and can show the entire list.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:30 PM   #99
Rid
Addict
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
They are on my Aura One
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:44 AM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
In both ePub and KePub, with Rakuten Serif, I searched for ffi and had a look and ligatures do work.
The most noticable and obvious one, 'fi'... no. Ligatures are not working.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:38 AM   #101
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara 2E, Tolino shine 5th Gen
(deletet, wrong thread)

Last edited by beedaddy; 09-24-2022 at 07:38 AM. Reason: wrong thread
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #102
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Have to say that once it's properly populated, the Recently Viewed list is pretty nifty. This is a nice UI enhancement and kudos to the Kobo devs for implementing it
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #103
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, the ligatures do not work. I read after posting last night and ffi doesn't work. Neither does fl or any of the other ones I know to look for.

As proof, see the attached images of the word 'insufficient' displayed in Rakuten Serif, Rakuten Sans (someone mentioned ligatures work there, they don't) Literata Book and Bookerly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rakuten Serif.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	196748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rakuten Sans.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	196749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Literata Book.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	196750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bookerly.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	196751  
Old 09-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #104
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
No, the ligatures do not work. I read after posting last night and ffi doesn't work. Neither does fl or any of the other ones I know to look for.

As proof, see the attached images of the word 'insufficient' displayed in Rakuten Serif, Rakuten Sans (someone mentioned ligatures work there, they don't) Literata Book and Bookerly.
I think Jon meant the font file itself has the ligatures, meaning the font is improperly configured as it doesn't show them.

Though his later claim that the font not showing up on devices because of it being broken in this way is also incorrect since that's obviously not intended behavior either. And, as has been mentioned on the forums, not everyone cares about ligatures.

Hopefully Rakuten/Kobo fix the issue in a future release. Though, as with every bug, people need to bring it to their attention to increase the priority of getting it fixed.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:08 PM   #105
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I think Jon meant the font file itself has the ligatures, meaning the font is improperly configured as it doesn't show them.
Having ligatures in the font files and saying they work properly for users of the current firmware are two different things.

Quote:
And, as has been mentioned on the forums, not everyone cares about ligatures.
Sure. But if the font was built with ligatures and ligatures have been enabled by the user with 'Optimize Legibility' and those ligatures still don't work, that is a bug regardless.

I think pinch to change font size is dumb and have turned it off. But I wouldn't argue with those complaining it doesn't work just because I personally do not like the feature.

Quote:
...Though, as with every bug, people need to bring it to their attention to increase the priority of getting it fixed.
How do I report? I looked through old threads, but only found outdated info.

I found this page: Rakuten Kobo/Submit a request/Contact Us. But the only options there are chat or call. Is that the correct place?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-24-2022 at 12:18 PM.

Tags
firmware, firmware release