Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-05-2022, 06:11 PM   #91
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Ok. I'm still waiting on Windows to finish its Updates... it decided to restart on me and do its thing - one thing I do not miss from not using Windows as my main OS
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:26 PM   #92
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the following message_:

Code:
C:\Users\David\edl>edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u boot.img 65414
Found EDL 9008
ce 42 bf 1f
00 00 00 00 e1 d0 14 00
d4 0e ee 56 f3 19 46 65 57 41 09 a3 92 67 72 4a e7 94 41 34 cd 53 cb 76 7e 29 3d 3c 40 49 79 55
Sending prog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf........................................................................................................................................................................ Ok
Firehose detected
Wrote config... Ok
Wrote request... Ok
Receiving header... Ok
Partition is not an Android image
You need to supply a sector count
I'm guessing the sector count is the number at the end of the command?
Advert
Old 03-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #93
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yeah, this was the iffy part. It works fine by me.
That whole partition is 100 Megs but the image is probably less than 20 Megs.
I was trying to be clever.
It could be that that slot is empty too.

If you haven't done anything since you loaded the loader (and eveything worked) you can just do additional commands. Just leave off the "/lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf"

Code:
edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u boota.img 65414 8000
(Notice that I changed that to boota)

Then you can try the bootb with the automatic first:

Code:
edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u bootb.img 162918
And if that doesn't work:

Code:
edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u bootb.img 162918 8000
The files with 8000 on the end should be 32 Megs.

You can test images with imgview.exe available at:
http://www.temblast.com/imgutil.htm

Code:
imgutil /v some.img
imgutil /l some.img
A basic check would be to look for "ANDROID!" as the first 8 characters of a file.

Last edited by Renate; 03-05-2022 at 06:41 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #94
readandread
Zealot

I check how large the stock boot.img and patched boot.img was that Casandra posted and what I used to root my device.

It's about 100MB. Does that change anything?
Old 03-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #95
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope. You can stick their boot.img in imgutil and it will tell you that there is 80 Megs of padding.
Advert
Old 03-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #96
readandread
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Nope. You can stick their boot.img in imgutil and it will tell you that there is 80 Megs of padding.
OK, I got a 32MB img file, but imgutil spits out this:

Code:
C:\Users\David\edl>imgutil /v boota.img
Error parsing cpio header

C:\Users\David\edl>imgutil /l boota.img
Error parsing cpio header
I also tried this command
Code:
edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u bootb.img 162918 8000
afte restarting the device and got the same error from above.

Last edited by readandread; 03-05-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #97
Renate
Wizard

Yeah, I can guess that they are using some sort of compression on the ramdisk that I haven't implemented in imgutil. That's a different problem. Sigh. But it still identified it as an Android image.

I still don't know why edl with the automatic sizing (without the 8000) didn't work.

Do you have a hex dumper? Could you show me 0x00 to 0x40 (the first 64 bytes) of one of those 32 Meg files?

Here's a typical example, a 16 Meg image in a 64 Meg partition:
Code:
imgutil /v part09
Header:         596 (00000254)
Kernel:  12,516,122 (00BEFB1A) @ 00008000
Payload: 12,215,482 (00BA64BA)
DTB:        300,640 (00049660)
Ramdisk:  6,280,716 (005FD60C) @ 01000000
Second:           0 (00000000) @ 00F00000
Padding: 48,304,128 (02E11000)
You can also simply hand a file to Magisk for modification and it will tell you if everything is ok.

If you really want the full 100 Megs just change 8000 to 24576.

I'm beginning to think that those images are not the "old" standard ANDROID! images. That would explain everything. imgutil must have thought they were gzip standalone ramdisks when they were gzip standalone kernels.

If you have 7zip or other utility, try ungzipping one of the images.

Last edited by Renate; 03-05-2022 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #98
readandread
Zealot

OK, so here is one of the images. I tried opening one of the images yesterday, but couldn't - not even with 7Zip.

I also put the image in the Download folder to see if Magicx does anything with it. No luck.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #99
Renate
Wizard

Hmm, that's strange. It's all ARM32 instructions, but formless and it doesn't seem to be part of a kernel.

I downloaded my own boot.img and compared it to the copy that I put in and it was bit exact.

I just put a new version up, it's at the same link that I gave you. This will print out the GPT (in an easier way to read than your copy) do the numbers for boot-a and boot-b agree with what we were using? If not, try again using these numbers. First try with only the first number, then with both numbers.

(Yeah, it's kind of noisy always printing out the GPT, but I wanted to keep it simple.)

Last edited by Renate; 03-06-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #100
readandread
Zealot

I got the following

Code:
                                                                                                       C:\Users\David\edl>edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u boota.img 65414 8000                 Found EDL 9008                                                                                          ce 42 bf 1f                                                                                             00 00 00 00 e1 d0 14 00                                                                                 d4 0e ee 56 f3 19 46 65 57 41 09 a3 92 67 72 4a e7 94 41 34 cd 53 cb 76 7e 29 3d 3c 40 49 79 55         Sending prog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf........................................................................................................................................................................ Ok                                                                                                   Firehose detected                                                                                       Wrote config... Ok                                                                                      Requesting GPT header... Ok                                                                             Receiving GPT header... Ok                                                                              Requesting GPT entries... Ok                                                                            Receiving GPT entries... Ok                                                                              1  ssd  6  2                                                                                            2  persist  8  8192                                                                                     3  misc  8200  256                                                                                      4  keystore  8456  128                                                                                  5  frp  8584  128                                                                                       6  super  8712  1048576                                                                                 7  recovery_a  1057288  24576                                                                           8  recovery_b  1081864  24576                                                                           9  vbmeta_system_a  1106440  16                                                                        10  vbmeta_system_b  1106456  16                                                                        11  metadata  1106472  4096                                                                             12  onyxconfig  1110568  6144                                                                           13  userdata  1116712  13028819                                                                         14    0  1                                                                                              15    0  1                                                                                              16    0  1                                                                                              17    0  1                                                                                              18    0  1                                                                                              19    0  1                                                                                              20    0  1                                                                                              21    0  1                                                                                              22    0  1                                                                                              23    0  1                                                                                              24    0  1                                                                                              25    0  1                                                                                              26    0  1                                                                                              27    0  1                                                                                              28    0  1                                                                                              29    0  1                                                                                              30    0  1                                                                                              31    0  1                                                                                              32    0  1                                                                                              Wrote request... Ok                                                                                     Receiving boota.img........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Ok
Old 03-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #101
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
I got the following

Code:
 1  ssd  6  2
 2  persist  8  8192
 3  misc  8200  256
 4  keystore  8456  128
 5  frp  8584  128
 6  super  8712  1048576
 7  recovery_a  1057288  24576
 8  recovery_b  1081864  24576
 9  vbmeta_system_a  1106440  16
10  vbmeta_system_b  1106456  16
11  metadata  1106472  4096
12  onyxconfig  1110568  6144
13  userdata  1116712  13028819
14    0  1
15    0  1
16    0  1
17    0  1
18    0  1
19    0  1
20    0  1
21    0  1
22    0  1
23    0  1
24    0  1
25    0  1
26    0  1
27    0  1
28    0  1
29    0  1
30    0  1
31    0  1
32    0  1
Hmm, I have no idea why the second half of that came out garbage. Also, the way you pasted that came out screwy too.

So, as a sanity check, try to grab a recovery image.
Use a single number first and if it doesn't work try with two numbers.
Also try recovery_a and recovery_b.
Thanks.

Last edited by Renate; 03-06-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #102
readandread
Zealot

I tried with recovery and could open it in 7Zip, which I could do before with boot.img

Code:
C:\Users\David\edl>edl.exe /lprog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf /u recovery_a.img 1057288
Found EDL 9008
ce 42 bf 1f
00 00 00 00 e1 d0 14 00
d4 0e ee 56 f3 19 46 65 57 41 09 a3 92 67 72 4a e7 94 41 34 cd 53 cb 76 7e 29 3d 3c 40 49 79 55
Sending prog_firehose_life_ddr_patched.elf........................................................................................................................................................................ Ok
Firehose detected
Wrote config... Ok
Requesting GPT header... Ok
Receiving GPT header... Ok
Requesting GPT entries... Ok
Receiving GPT entries... Ok
 1  ssd  6  2
 2  persist  8  8192
 3  misc  8200  256
 4  keystore  8456  128
 5  frp  8584  128
 6  super  8712  1048576
 7  recovery_a  1057288  24576
 8  recovery_b  1081864  24576
 9  vbmeta_system_a  1106440  16
10  vbmeta_system_b  1106456  16
11  metadata  1106472  4096
12  onyxconfig  1110568  6144
13  userdata  1116712  13028819
14    0  1
15    0  1
16    0  1
17    0  1
18    0  1
19    0  1
20    0  1
21    0  1
22    0  1
23    0  1
24    0  1
25    0  1
26    0  1
27    0  1
28    0  1
29    0  1
30    0  1
31    0  1
32    0  1
Wrote request... Ok
Receiving header... Ok
Wrote request... Ok
Receiving recovery_a.img................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Ok

Last edited by readandread; 03-06-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:24 AM   #103
Renate
Wizard

Huh? Which you could do before with boot.img?
A quick check with imgutil /v or /l should print out nice stuff.
Recovery has a ramdisk so /l should print a lot. (Don't bother pasting.)

And how big is that recovery_a.img?
Like I said, it should be 20 Megs coming out of 100 Meg partition.

There's something screwy going on with what's happening to that table.
I'm printing out 48 partitions here nicely.

I put up a new version (at the same old link). You can see that it's the new one because it's 114,688 bytes. The command flags have changed a bit.
Code:
edl.exe /?
--- help info for the command line ---
edl.exe /u /g
--- print GPT table ---
edl.exe /u /precovery_a rec.img /t
--- get recovery and truncate it to minimal size ~20Megs ---
edl.exe /u /precovery_a rec.img
--- get recovery and leave it at 100Megs ---
edl.exe /u /p7 rec.img
--- you can go by partition numbers too ---
Edit: Going by the number of dots on your paste for recovery, it looks to be about 22.5 Megs. Surely a savings over 100 Megs?

Last edited by Renate; 03-06-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #104
readandread
Zealot

Quote:
Huh? Which you could do before with boot.img?
No, boot.img didn't work, but recovery is about 32MB and I can open it with 7zip.

A quick check with imgutil /v or /l should print out nice stuff.
Recovery has a ramdisk so /l should print a lot. (Don't bother pasting.)

I put up a new version (at the same old link). You can see that it's the new one because it's 114,688 bytes. The command flags have changed a bit.
Code:
edl.exe /?
--- help info for the command line ---
edl.exe /u /g
--- print GPT table ---
edl.exe /u /precovery_a rec.img /t
--- get recovery and truncate it to minimal size ~20Megs ---
edl.exe /u /precovery_a rec.img
--- get recovery and leave it at 100Megs ---
edl.exe /u /p7 rec.img
--- you can go by partition numbers too ---
[/QUOTE]

I did downloaded the new version.

I think I'm going to revisit this again once firmware 3.2.1 comes out to see if they changed the boot.img. If they don't and its the same form the previous one I can use the old prepatched boot.img after updating OTA.

Thanks for all the help here! Awesome support and greatly appreciated
Old 03-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #105
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
There is a loader named Qualcomm_662_loader.elf that finally worked for me when others did not work. I can't attach it here as Mobileread calls it an invalid file. I found it one night but did not note where I found it, sadly!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote