Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #91
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
So guys, I have traded in my Voyage which I bought at launch as the larger screen appeals to me. What I cannot decide is... which cover? Any thoughts on Leather versus Cork? Is the Cork there for Vegans or is it nicer.

I am tempted to pay for ads free so I can glimpse the cover of my book as I turn it on. Is the kids version any different or just a regular PW with a cover and charger bundled? In other words will it behave like an adult kindle if I got that.
Shades of Welles! Your Voyage is turning over in its grave!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #92
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a Kobo Aura H2O with a 6.8" screen and I would not go back to a 6" screen.

Last month I also bought the previous version (i reverted to the version) of KOBO AURA H2O (2 editions).
https://fr.kobobooks.com/collections...IaAiqXEALw_wcB

IMHO one of the best readers of books in terms of contrast and sharpness of the font (Which is crucial for me. Warm light is also great)
The rubberized body and quality construction is just an extra bonus for me.
PS: I don't need a better processor or more RAM, Wi-Fi 5GHz to turn the pages of the book

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-27-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #93
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
The Kindle wikipedia page has been updated and apparently the Paperwhite would have the same processor as the Oasis, double the RAM at 1GB. It matches what an infamous website has stated in one of their articles. I'm just wondering how they can be that certain?
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #94
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
IMO, it's more likely this is based on a Mediatek chip than the processor in the Oasis. But what do I know?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:06 PM   #95
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
The Kindle wikipedia page has been updated … It matches what an infamous website has stated in one of their articles. I'm just wondering how they can be that certain?
Wikipedia is edited by random members of the public and controlled by an opaque clique.
They are never certain.
Original research isn't allowed.
Ideally the person editing cites a book or web page or a high profile bage can be reverted. Likely someone has simply quoted the "infamous website", or an author from it has updated Wikipedia.

Yet curiously on average it's no more inaccurate than the Britannica. Which has mistakes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #96
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I know the collaborative aspect of Wikipedia, but still, I'm surprised it has already been updated before the release of the Kindle and I suspect it might be based on the infamous website's article.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:00 AM   #97
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I ordered the cork cover for 2 reasons : it seems to be a viable alternative to leather and it's water-resistant.
I went with Cork, too. Just...a change of pace. I have a boatload of leather covers and I thought the cork would make it more obvious. (I have so many devices, for the biz...)

I loved my Voyage. LURVED it. And then, the charging port just wouldn't charge. I tried to replace it (6 years later, to be fair) and eeeek!, they weren't making them anymore. So, idiot that I am, I got an Oasis, and God, I hate it.

For one thing, I'm a bony old thing, and the corner digs into my hand, the bottom fleshy part of the palm, something fierce. I don't want to hold it with two hands, dammit.

I would have needed this new device, probably, for testing anyway. BUT, I'm hoping it's a solid replacement for my LLLV (Late Lamented Loved Voyage).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:05 AM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I went with Cork, too. Just...a change of pace. I have a boatload of leather covers and I thought the cork would make it more obvious. (I have so many devices, for the biz...)

I loved my Voyage. LURVED it. And then, the charging port just wouldn't charge. I tried to replace it (6 years later, to be fair) and eeeek!, they weren't making them anymore. So, idiot that I am, I got an Oasis, and God, I hate it.

For one thing, I'm a bony old thing, and the corner digs into my hand, the bottom fleshy part of the palm, something fierce. I don't want to hold it with two hands, dammit.

I would have needed this new device, probably, for testing anyway. BUT, I'm hoping it's a solid replacement for my LLLV (Late Lamented Loved Voyage).

Hitch
This new Kindle is Amazon's version of the Kobo Aura H2O. The main problem with the new Kindle is that it's running Kindle firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:21 AM   #99
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This new Kindle is Amazon's version of the Kobo Aura H2O. The main problem with the new Kindle is that it's running Kindle firmware.
But Amazon has over 90% of the English language ebook market. We need to test on Amazon eInk. Though I mostly read & entirely proof read on a Kobo Libra.
Also some people can't be bothered with Download to PC, import to Calibre, create ePub, usb copy. Many people with Kindles use WiFi (or cell) for Amazon download even though they'd be better off with Download to PC and usb copy.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But Amazon has over 90% of the English language ebook market. We need to test on Amazon eInk. Though I mostly read & entirely proof read on a Kobo Libra.
Also some people can't be bothered with Download to PC, import to Calibre, create ePub, usb copy. Many people with Kindles use WiFi (or cell) for Amazon download even though they'd be better off with Download to PC and usb copy.
There are other shops to buy ePub. There is Kobo, Google, and eBooks.com. Also, Overdrive serves ePub. So there are plenty of sources for ePub.

I don't count Apple and B&N since they use different DRM.

But, if the code for the source ePub is simple enough, then there's really no reason to need to test on different Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #101
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
There are other shops to buy ePub. There is Kobo, Google, and eBooks.com. Also, Overdrive serves ePub. So there are plenty of sources for ePub.
I don't count Apple and B&N since they use different DRM.
Smashwords all DRM free ePub. Belinda Borrowbox is epub. Some Google and Amazon titles don't use DRM (Except KFX is all DRM).
Quote:
But, if the code for the source ePub is simple enough, then there's really no reason to need to test on different Kindles.
That's what you think!
KF7 only Kindles.
KF7 models that later got KF8
Kindles that always had KF8
167 dpi vs 300 dpi Kindles. There are some things (simple epub conversion) where the KK3 @ 167 dpi using KF8 is similar to the Kobo @ 300 dpi, but the 300 dpi PW3 is wrong!

Any existing style already tested on a kindle doesn't need tested with a new ebook from epub. But any new style or edit to a style needs tested.
We also check the Amazon retail downloads when a new/revised style is used in the epub. Amazon may not create the same KF7/KF8/KFX from the epub upload as Calibre creates.
We don't much care about KFX and only test an Amazon download.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-28-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:50 AM   #102
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Meh. 6.8 isn't that much of an upgrade over 6". I couldn't recommend it as an upgrade to someone with a 6". The price is nice, but if your PW is perfectly functional, it's not worth it.

And "advanced" users you can't install koreader anymore. Better to go with a Kobo. Shame the 8" Forma is so pricey.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #103
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Smashwords all DRM free ePub. Belinda Borrowbox is epub. Some Google and Amazon titles don't use DRM (Except KFX is all DRM).

That's what you think!
KF7 only Kindles.
KF7 models that later got KF8
Kindles that always had KF8
167 dpi vs 300 dpi Kindles. There are some things (simple epub conversion) where the KK3 @ 167 dpi using KF8 is similar to the Kobo @ 300 dpi, but the 300 dpi PW3 is wrong!

Any existing style already tested on a kindle doesn't need tested with a new ebook from epub. But any new style or edit to a style needs tested.
We also check the Amazon retail downloads when a new/revised style is used in the epub. Amazon may not create the same KF7/KF8/KFX from the epub upload as Calibre creates.
We don't much care about KFX and only test an Amazon download.
What he said ^.

And don't forget the "image larger than 50%, but not 100% wide," rendering glitches in PPWs, Voyages and whats-its from 2015-->>>???

Hitch
Old 09-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Meh. 6.8 isn't that much of an upgrade over 6". I couldn't recommend it as an upgrade to someone with a 6".
Well, I can! I think it’s the critical difference in an immersive reading experience. Nothing wrong with a 6” reader for out and about, but 6.8” I think really hits the sweet spot between evoking a real “page” and portability. And my own anecdotal evidence: I did a side-by-side with a 6” and a 6.8” screen to my sister, who could never quite get on board with 6”. Sold!

Quote:
The price is nice, but if your PW is perfectly functional, it's not worth it.
The price is very nice, especially if you can do a trade-in. (Although if you’re not in a hurry, I think waiting on BF could be better still - but perhaps not, given how new the device is. Me, I always wait on a sale price. ) But as always, people have different needs and preferences.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #105
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Well, I can! I think it’s the critical difference in an immersive reading experience. Nothing wrong with a 6” reader for out and about, but 6.8” I think really hits the sweet spot between evoking a real “page” and portability. And my own anecdotal evidence: I did a side-by-side with a 6” and a 6.8” screen to my sister, who could never quite get on board with 6”. Sold!

The price is very nice, especially if you can do a trade-in. (Although if you’re not in a hurry, I think waiting on BF could be better still - but perhaps not, given how new the device is. Me, I always wait on a sale price. ) But as always, people have different needs and preferences.
I'm sorry, what's "BF?"

Hitch