Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #91
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Then why don't you tell me what help to use?

Anyway, what is called Kobo dithering is simply put into a 4*4 dot grid and this is displayed according to a given pattern - the resolution is visible ca 0.3 mm for a 300 dpi screen (75 dpi), ca 0.5 mm for the 10.3 screen (~55 dpi) - in my eyes a horror.

Stop talking techno-gibberish, please.

What Kobo (and other modern e-ink devices) do is https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-459955126. As you can see preprocessed images using ImageMagick are still better than in device HW dithering, but dithering makes a huge impact over original, non dither, images.

You could argue that you don't need dithering because you don't use images, you preprocess them or whatever, but please don't insult other people intelligence talking about stuff you have no idea.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #92
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bigme 3/3, Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Ki/Ko 0/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
What Kobo (and other modern e-ink devices) do is https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-459955126. As you can see preprocessed images using ImageMagick are still better than in device HW dithering, but dithering makes a huge impact over original, non dither, images.
You're being ridiculous if you think something like this happens from Kobo with images in purchased books on their devices - which are, if not in color, often in 256 shades of gray.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #93
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Either (A) pay a professionally qualified translator to render your "advice" from your L1 into English, or (B) accept that silence is golden.
You've got to be kidding.
Because there are guys who are not able to understand normal language, you demand professional translation?

If someone doesn't want to understand me, or can't understand me, that's not my problem.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-09-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #94
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
You've got to be kidding.
Because there are guys who are not able to understand normal language, you demand professional translation?

If someone doesn't want to understand me, or can't understand me, that's not my problem.
You used Google Translate as your excuse for the incomprehensible gibberish you were posting. If you are now saying it was not the fault of the machine translation, but are conceding that what you are posting is in fact intrinsically quatsch, then I applaud your sudden honesty. Leaving only the question of why you continue to feel compelled to keep sharing content no one can understand. Tschüss
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #95
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
You used Google Translate as your excuse for the incomprehensible gibberish you were posting. If you are now saying it was not the fault of the machine translation, but are conceding that what you are posting is in fact intrinsically quatsch, then I applaud your sudden honesty. Leaving only the question of why you continue to feel compelled to keep sharing content no one can understand. Tschüss
If someone is not able to understand a Google Translate translation, that is not my problem either - that speaks very much for inability to think along, but I do not care either.

But I hope that there are some here with at least some intelligence - it's a fact, you can only understand up to your own level, everything above is incomprehensible.
Advert
Old 06-09-2021, 05:52 PM   #96
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
In addition, I am completely independent of the book provider, which is often fixed in branded devices (kindle).
You are independent of the ebook provider (say, Amazon) because you can install the Amazon Android app on an e-ink tablet where it will be a poorer experience than just using an e-ink Kindle?

That does not seem like a good trade off to me.

I read books purchased from Amazon on a Kobo and a Nook. So I am also independent of the ebook provider, but I benefit from reading on software that was designed for e-ink screens.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #97
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You are independent of the ebook provider (say, Amazon) because you can install the Amazon Android app on an e-ink tablet where it will be a poorer experience than just using an e-ink Kindle?

That does not seem like a good trade off to me.

I read books purchased from Amazon on a Kobo and a Nook. So I am also independent of the ebook provider, but I benefit from reading on software that was designed for e-ink screens.
Huge flexibility gain. I can do stuff like read the newspaper from the PressReader app, read books and magazines from Libby, read comics from Comixology or Marvel Unlimited, use the digital versions of textbooks I've acquired that can't be liberated and the device is actually fast enough to handle PDF well unlike slower devices from Kobo or Amazon. Web browsing to grab something off Project Gutenberg or archive.org isn't an extreme chore on device either because of extra speed and better browser. Lots more to read than just what Amazon and Kobo sell.

Software works better than you think. In reading apps you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference I think.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #98
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
If someone is not able to understand a Google Translate translation, that is not my problem either - that speaks very much for inability to think along, but I do not care either.

But I hope that there are some here with at least some intelligence - it's a fact, you can only understand up to your own level, everything above is incomprehensible.
So now you're resorting to childish insults.
You seem to think that you are the OP and that we're discussing your issues (which are many).

This will continue pointlessly until it is locked.

I can't see any moderator on this thread. If there was, I'd request that it be locked before becoming more acrimonious.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #99
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No, that speaks to the quality of the translation. It could also speak to the quality of the input. As you don't supply your original language version, there is no way for us, or someone who speaks that language to validate the translation.

And you have never mentioned how you read the replies. Are you using Google translate for that? Or are you doing the translation yourself.
Quote:
So, basically, you are saying that you are the only intelligent person in the room? I find it very amusing that you think that you are the only person here capable of understanding these concepts. Or is your name Sheldon?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:00 PM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Huge flexibility gain. I can do stuff like read the newspaper from the PressReader app, read books and magazines from Libby, read comics from Comixology or Marvel Unlimited, use the digital versions of textbooks I've acquired that can't be liberated and the device is actually fast enough to handle PDF well unlike slower devices from Kobo or Amazon. Web browsing to grab something off Project Gutenberg or archive.org isn't an extreme chore on device either because of extra speed and better browser. Lots more to read than just what Amazon and Kobo sell.
For all that stuff, I prefer a tablet or my Surface. They are faster and have larger screens and color.

Also, sticking to the OPs inquiry, none of that was mentioned.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:57 AM   #101
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And you have never mentioned how you read the replies. Are you using Google translate for that? Or are you doing the translation yourself.
I use Google Translate in both directions.
Quote:
So, basically, you are saying that you are the only intelligent person in the room? I find it very amusing that you think that you are the only person here capable of understanding these concepts.
What makes you think that?
I have no idea who reads or understands my posts.
If there is agreement, I don't expect an answer, and since there are very few answers, and they come from only a few, it means:
- I am in the filter with those who do not answer,
- there is little interest in the topic,
- there is agreement with my posts,
- the user does not like to answer for some reason.
A mixture of these is certainly true - but I don't care about it.
Quote:
Or is your name Sheldon?
As an Austrian, do I need to know what is meant by this?
Quote:
Muß ich als Österreicher wissen, was damit gemeint ist?
Old 06-10-2021, 01:05 AM   #102
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, I hardly ever read Amazon books - just some from Kindle Unlimited now and then - and for reading I prefer 7.8 inches and have no intention of settling for smaller.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:10 AM   #103
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
So now you're resorting to childish insults.
The post to which you replied contains facts that can be proven at any time and can only be understood as an insult by those who for some reason feel affected by it.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-10-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:31 AM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You're being ridiculous if you think something like this happens from Kobo with images in purchased books on their devices - which are, if not in color, often in 256 shades of gray.
Can you explain what you mean here? Which of the images that @pazos linked to is not something you would expect on a Kobo device? Or are you meaning that Kobo would produce the worst looking one of them? Or do they produce better results than this?

Or are you just saying that the test is useless because it is artificial?
Old 06-10-2021, 01:53 AM   #105
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I use Google Translate in both directions.
So, you, writing in colloquial German, expect Google Translate to a produce perfect translation for us to read. Then you expect Google Translate to produce a perfect translation of our colloquial English.
Quote:
What makes you think that?
Um, because you said it? What else could that post mean? You said that people only understand up to their comprehension. As you clearly believe you understand, then you are stating that no one else is as smart as you.

And I do agree with @BookCat. It is a childish insult. But, of course, as you are fond of pointing out, it must be the translation at fault and our lack of comprehension that the translation is at fault.
Quote:
I have no idea who reads or understands my posts.
If there is agreement, I don't expect an answer, and since there are very few answers, and they come from only a few, it means:
- I am in the filter with those who do not answer,
- there is little interest in the topic,
- there is agreement with my posts,
- the user does not like to answer for some reason.
A mixture of these is certainly true - but I don't care about it.
While I partly agree with that, with the argument going on, the fact is that no one has agreed with you. As there is such solid disagreement with you, I would expect someone that did agree with you to come forward and state so. Especially as there is a language issue, I would expect that someone who agreed with you would chime in to help sort that out.
Quote:
As an Austrian, do I need to know what is meant by this?
Don't worry, it wasn't a very good joke.

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen