Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #91
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Swaps? What (or who) are we getting for Marc?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #92
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
i can't think of anyone crazy enough to swap something for marc.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #93
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
would they do what ? and what are upper creataceous marine fossils ?
Sorry, I've collected ocean shell fossils from the age of Dinosaurs (the time of Tyrannosaurus Rex, to be exact. They are made of chalk. They include fossil sponges, scallops, oysters, sea urchins (sand dollars) and even part of a crab's claw. From another bed, now paved over. I got original oyster shells, not fossilized (some even had parts of the original striping left), Plus, down in South Texas, where my parent's ranch was before it got converted into a lake, there was lots of fossil wood. (That was from after the age of Dinosaurs.) I keep a small collection in my dining room, in a cabinet.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #94
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Sorry, I've collected ocean shell fossils from the age of Dinosaurs (the time of Tyrannosaurus Rex, to be exact. They are made of chalk. They include fossil sponges, scallops, oysters, sea urchins (sand dollars) and even part of a crab's claw. From another bed, now paved over. I got original oyster shells, not fossilized (some even had parts of the original striping left), Plus, down in South Texas, where my parent's ranch was before it got converted into a lake, there was lots of fossil wood. (That was from after the age of Dinosaurs.) I keep a small collection in my dining room, in a cabinet.
wow, that sounds brilliant !! post photos ? i'd love to see those.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #95
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post

Marc's just pickled, not a fossil.
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #96
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I saw a magazine a long time ago in Baltimore entitled "Cetacean". It was about local Baltimore folk music.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #97
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
DixieGal ; An ex-g/f of mine was a rockhound. She got me interested in it. I haven't gone on any digs yet, though I really should when I have the spare dosh. I'm maybe 2 hours from Franklin, NJ.

I like the unusual minerals, and the ones that are all gemmy and shiny

-MJ
LOL! Me too! They say I'm like a bird, because I have to see and touch everyone's jewelry. I hope you are still friendly enough with the GF that she can show you where the big shiny rocks are lurking. Let's talk ROCKS!

I'm lucky enough to be married to a guy who likes gemstones as much as I do. Which translates to a very nice jewelry collection. We like BIG stones, so we started rockhounding not too long ago. You are close enough to NC to go pick up some fist-sized pretty amythests in NC. www.gemmountain.com We are going on the fossil dig tomorrow, which is actually a charity event to raise money for the division where I work. Next Saturday, the holiday weekend, we plan to go to the aquamarine mine at Hogg Mine in LaGrange, Ga. I think it is their last day for the year, but I could be very wrong.

Right now, we are only tumbling rocks, wirewrapping pendants, and cabbing. Next year, probably in the late spring, I'm going to take Faceting and Tim is taking Silversmithing at the lapidary college. We both prefer gold, but the prereq is silversmithing 1&2 before you can register for goldsmithin.

And that's probably more than you cared to know. I just get sort of extra-happy when it comes to talking about rocks and gemstones. We will probably go on a field trip with the rock club up to Franklin, hopefully sooner rather than later. I've got a gorgeous cabachon pendant of picture rock, set in silver, that came from there. It's not the usual brown desert scene that comes from Oregon, but it is blues and greens, and it makes a fairy glade scene. I got the cab for $5 at a rock show, believe it or not! It's so unusual that I believe it would sell for upwards of $1000 or more - but they would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get it away from me!

Today, I'm wearing a brand new pendant that I didn't make because I can't facet. It's a rubellite, emerald cut, ~1 ct, 14k gold, that I found at Gem Mountain. You can get all sorts of sparklies out of the dirt there!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #98
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What are you going after? Maybe do some swaps?
Sure! Are you just into fossils, or do you like everything?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #99
zelda_pinwheel

what is picture rock ???
Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #100
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
what is picture rock ???
Too... many...jokes...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #101
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Tim has just given away, only a few days ago, a ginormous fossil scallop shell. It was not chalk, because it is local, but was instead plain old chert/feldspar. His co-worker is beginning to get interested in rocks, and in fact, is riding along with us tomorrow to the dig. Oh, and last night, I got myself a brand new long screwdriver with a rubberized grip from Lowe's(snazzy!) for digging out stubborn jewels. Oh Joy! I'm so excited to go dig in the dirt tomorrow!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #102
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Sure! Are you just into fossils, or do you like everything?
Just fossils. WHere I lve and travel, it's just sedimentary rocks. Mostly Cretaceous....
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #103
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Too... many...jokes...
what does it say about me that i can't see any of them ?

maybe if someone would TELL ME WHAT PICTURE ROCK IS i might get the jokes.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #104
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
what is picture rock ???
I couldn't find anything like what I've got, but this is an example. Can you see a desert landscape in this stone? Sand and rocks and horizon?

BTW, another name for picture rock is landscape jasper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cab1767_african_queen_picture_jas.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	18143  

Last edited by DixieGal; 11-21-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #105
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I couldn't find anything like what I've got, but this is an example. Can you see a desert landscape in this stone? Sand and rocks and horizon?
aha, okay ! thanks. how is that formed ? sediment or inclusions ?

(i still don't get the jokes. maybe i need a nap. that sounds really tempting right now. perhaps i should make some tea instead. arg, work.)

Tags
screaming mad adrian, unutterable silliness