Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #91
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
It will drop most likely after boox releases their competitor, right now it's an early adopter tax so to speak. I also do think it's expensive and this is coming from someone who payed 1250 for the N9 512/8GB. At 350 usd I would have waited and gotten it over the Mars hands down.

Last edited by rvcjew; 01-21-2019 at 06:09 PM.
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #92
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Manuel S View Post
The CPU RK3368 was released in 2015, it has 2GB RAM and 16 GB storage. Therefore the motherboard is really cheap, the finished is good but it is plastic, the only expensive things are the screen and the develop of the software, but 400 €?
Xiaomi could be subsidized, but how much? 50 €? It has 6 GB RAM, 64 GB storaged, latest Qualcomm CPU and Amoled display. Lei Jun (CEO of Xiaomi) said that Xiaomi products will have a margin of 5%, they don't sell with losses.

It can cost perfectly 340 - 350 € with profits, the problem is the level of production that is very low by now.
The price is mainly due to the screen - the cost is high due to lack of competition. E-ink charges $350 for the display itself --> https://shopkits.eink.com/product/10...play-es103tc1/

While the wholesale price will obviously be cheaper, E-ink (the company) has the monopoly on this type of screen, so they pretty much control the prices.

Amazon is probably able to negotiate better prices with them for kindle screens, but niche companies like Boyue or Onyx have almost no bargaining power.

Last edited by gimble; 01-22-2019 at 12:35 AM.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #93
Acaread
Acaread began at the beginning.

Device: None
Ordered from ereader.store this morning and my Mimas has already been handed to the carrier. Really looking forward to the device.
Acaread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #94
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
The price is mainly due to the screen - the cost is high due to lack of competition. E-ink charges $350 for the display itself.
It's a pity Pixel Qi didn't succeed. At least, it could have been a little competition, but its screens were too much grayish.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #95
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaread View Post
Ordered from ereader.store this morning and my Mimas has already been handed to the carrier. Really looking forward to the device.
I ordered the Boyue Likebook Mimas this morning from eReader.store. I'm in the US. When I received the shipping notice shortly after I received the order confirmation, I was surprised that the UPS email said the scheduled delivery date was this Friday, Jan 25th.

It must have been some kind of mistake though... I just checked the tracking page and now it's not showing an estimated delivery time at all. Darn, I thought I was going to receive it from Europe in record time.

I'm very excited to receive this device!

Last edited by blue_skies; 01-23-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: clarity
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #96
foro.carlos
foro.carlos doesn't litterforo.carlos doesn't litter

Device: likebook mimas
Thumbs up a little review

I received my Lifebook Mimas Today and it's pretty good. There's some caveats but the balance is good so far.

Just a quick review of what i like and what i don't

Good:
  • Screen is responsive and sharp (a little bit greyish but good enough)
  • OS is good with some caveats. You can change the default ebook reader which is mandatory for me
  • Notetaking is amazing. Very good app and very responsive.
  • The stylus works very well and the feeling on the screen is not like paper but it feels nice (a little bit sliddy but not in a bad way)
  • Deleting notes with the "rubber" in the pen its pretty good in the notes app (not that good in the PDF app )
  • The pdf experience is ok if you are reading (note taking in pdf is not perfect tho)
  • The front light is very good and uniform.
  • It's Android 6 so you can install apps I already setup some automations to download my books into it !!
  • Since it has SDcard I plan to have the whole Wikipedia OFFLINE in it with kiwix!! Isn't it great?!

Not that good:
  • PDF notetaking is kind of shitty mainly because the palm rejection don't work very well and theres no way to disable the touch layer (unlike in the notetaking app)
  • Fixed lock wallpaper. no random slideshow.. Maybe doesn't sound very important but i love other ereaders capacity to act as a slideshow frame
  • you can't wake up the device with the home button.. which is anoying since you have to find the tiny button in the upper side
  • Ebook reading app lacks customization options, it is pretty basic compared with moonreader or alreader (my favorite) but it doesn't matter since you can change the default app for epubs and such.
  • 430 grams is a little bit on the heavy side but i just weighted a couple of medium books and notebooks and they are around 500G each so.. well... it weights like a book.
  • The likebook case is very neat and it wakes the mimas automagically when you open it but.. it weights 200G. I would love a much lighter version of the case. Maybe ill try to improvise one out of a Moleskine.. and some velcro.
  • A black model would make the screen better.. but in white looks better i guess.

As you can see most of the caveats are firmware or software related so I'm pretty sure some feedback to Boyue could do the magic.

Very happy so far. Now i'll try some apps to test the stylus outside the system ones and try to root it to automate some stuff with Tasker. It would be very usefull if someone could handle me the Onyx boox reader and pdf APKs in order to test if they play well with this beauty.

If you have any questions or something just ask.
foro.carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #97
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
I received my Lifebook Mimas Today and it's pretty good. There's some caveats but the balance is good so far.

Good:
  • OS is good with some caveats. You can change the default ebook reader which is mandatory for me
  • The stylus works very well and the feeling on the screen is not like paper but it feels nice (a little bit sliddy but not in a bad way)
  • Deleting notes with the "rubber" in the pen its pretty good in the notes app (not that good in the PDF app )
  • The pdf experience is ok if you are reading (note taking in pdf is not perfect tho)
  • It's Android 6 so you can install apps I already setup some automations to download my books into it !!
  • Since it has SDcard I plan to have the whole Wikipedia OFFLINE in it with kiwix!! Isn't it great?!

Not that good:
  • PDF notetaking is kind of shitty mainly because the palm rejection don't work very well and theres no way to disable the touch layer (unlike in the notetaking app)
  • Fixed lock wallpaper. no random slideshow.. Maybe doesn't sound very important but i love other ereaders capacity to act as a slideshow frame
  • you can't wake up the device with the home button.. which is anoying since you have to find the tiny button in the upper side
  • Ebook reading app lacks customization options, it is pretty basic compared with moonreader or alreader (my favorite) but it doesn't matter since you can change the default app for epubs and such.
  • 430 grams is a little bit on the heavy side but i just weighted a couple of medium books and notebooks and they are around 500G each so.. well... it weights like a book.
  • The likebook case is very neat and it wakes the mimas automagically when you open it but.. it weights 200G. I would love a much lighter version of the case. Maybe ill try to improvise one out of a Moleskine.. and some velcro.
  • A black model would make the screen better.. but in white looks better i guess.

As you can see most of the caveats are firmware or software related so I'm pretty sure some feedback to Boyue could do the magic.

Very happy so far. Now i'll try some apps to test the stylus outside the system ones and try to root it to automate some stuff with Tasker. It would be very usefull if someone could handle me the Onyx boox reader and pdf APKs in order to test if they play well with this beauty.

If you find out a root method for the rockchip in batch tool please let us know as it should also work on the Mars.
Malcolm
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #98
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

Good:
Thanks so much for your review! I am happy to read your list of the good points above, and since the things that are negative for you probably won't be an issue for me... I am very optimistic that I will be satisfied with the Mimas.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #99
fradav
fradav began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o
Quote:

Good:

Not that good:

Congrats for your purchase.

Now the one million dollar question: how is the notetaking experience in OneNote?

Regards

Last edited by fradav; 01-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.
fradav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #100
phantasma
phantasma began at the beginning.

Device: Remarkable, KA1
How is the battery? There was some problem with the longevity that some reviewers mentioned in the YT comments..
phantasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #101
Acaread

I received an unit with a tiny dot in the casing above the display through which light shines through. Also, the display is bended outwards to the extend that when looking at it from an angle straight lines on the display appear to be bent. Does anyone‘s device also have this feature which had been reserved to the new iPad Pro as of now?
Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM   #102
rvcjew
Addict

Quote:
I received an unit with a tiny dot in the casing above the display through which light shines through. Also, the display is bended outwards to the extend that when looking at it from an angle straight lines on the display appear to be bent. Does anyone‘s device also have this feature which had been reserved to the new iPad Pro as of now?
I think that might have been a bonus add on from your courier. Hope seller gets it straightened out for you (no pun intended).
Malcolm
Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #103
Acaread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
I think that might have been a bonus add on from your courier. Hope seller gets it straightened out for you (no pun intended).
Malcolm
I sent out an email to Ereader store yesterday. They promptly replied that the bend was normal for this model since it does not have a glass display.

Currently I am undecided whether to ask for a replacement unit or for a refund. If owners of the mimas here encourage me to give it another try, I might.

Last edited by Acaread; 01-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #104
rvcjew
Addict

Quote:
I sent out an email to Ereader store yesterday. They promptly replied that the bend was normal for this model since it does not have a glass display.

Currently I am undecided whether to ask for a replacement unit or for a refund. If owners of the mimas here encourage me to give it another try, I might.
Can you post pics of the bend and the light leakage. Your saying you have a small hole above the display, as in the bezel?
Malcolm
Old 01-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #105
Acaread

https://imgur.com/gallery/1d3B5WX

The light point is a minor disappointment but the way the display is bent not. Even looking at it frontally one sees it clearly. My girlfriend noticed it immediately, too.