Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #91
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought that you weren't a fan of eInk screens, Nate. Don't you prefer LCD?
I'm going to plead temporary insanity on this one.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #92
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Thanks Tribble.

I dont know how iRex is doing it. But everybody waits for the 9.7" screens since months and then they come and say here is our 10.2" - ready to ship.

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #93
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Over all, I would have to say I am pretty impressed. I am most impressed at the price... I guess the question is, if the new reader starts around $650, does that mean a price cut is coming up for the Iliad?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #94
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Thanks Tribble.

I dont know how iRex is doing it. But everybody waits for the 9.7" screens since months and then they come and say here is our 10.2" - ready to ship.

Gogolo
Indeed, I guess they snickered evily everytime when they read 9.7 on the forums... :-)
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #95
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Why do the old iliad costs the same as the new one ... strange price calculations.

Anyway is there a comparison picture with a human hand (or the old iliad). On the picture it looks like the same size as the old one

Last edited by joblack; 09-22-2008 at 10:34 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #96
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Thanks Tribble.

Gogolo
Hehe, i cant wait to have one for myself. And the 9.7 screens are still not available. iRex was part of the development of the 9.7" screens with a bunch of other companies, but PVI seems to have problems in mass producing the screens. So now iRex has the larger screen, though still with a glass based layer. And Plastic Logic will probably have their reader with a flexible screen base out before the 9.7 aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #97
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Why do the old iliad costs the same as the new one ... strange price calculations.
Tell me about it. That was a surprise for me aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #98
tonyofla
Enthusiast
tonyofla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Any word yet on a possible firmware upgrade for the old (v2) Iliad?
tonyofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #99
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyofla View Post
Any word yet on a possible firmware upgrade for the old (v2) Iliad?
I hope since they have the 1000 out of door, which sure was the no. 1 project to date, they now have a bit more time for working on that...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #100
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Are the LED's on the side always emitting light (quite annoying)? Why do they have this cursor buttons on the left AND right? I hope you can disable them or you could accidentally press them.

Well, network is not that important ... perhaps if the device is faster as you mentioned, it could be fun surfing around and doing some other work (writing, ...) with it.

When will the Network and BluTooth Edition will be released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
- traveler Hub is gone.
- Network RJ45 is gone.
- charging via USB
- SDHC cards supported as far as i know.
- battery still not user replaceable.

One personal observation. The device seems quite a bit faster than the iLiad. And the new Software seems to be quite nice aswell. Had only time to play around for a few minutes unfortunately.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #101
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Any word on being able to easily export documents with markups? It was easy enough to get them on there before with a SD card, the problem was getting it off in a useable format.

I really hope they figured out a better way to organize the documents because taking a minute to get from one doc to another isn't going to fly in most business situations.

An upgraded OS for the old Iliads would be great
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #102
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I want to know about markup exporting as well!

The language on the iRex site is promising, but not conclusive:
Quote:
Experience how it feels to work efficiently and interactively in a digital, paperless workflow. With the iRex Digital Reader 1000 S you can make handwritten notes in your digital documents, just as you would with a conventional pen.
I can but hope that the iRex Marketing folks are aware that "workflow" isn't much use if stuff can only flow in.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #103
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Where the eink companies are missing the ball for corporate use is that the majority of corporate users are locked out of installing programs on their work computers. The device itself has to be able to convert the markups into a useable (ie pdf) format and export it, not a program on a computer. Its not much use to markup a document and then have to wait till I get home to get the changes exported. Once they figure that out then they will be able to make some headway in the business world.

Until then people will continue with the 10,000 pages printed per day or whatever their stat was
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #104
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
@junkyardwillie: I agree, but it goes even farer - the device has to be embedded into an existing workflow and document management structure, including DMS-databases. Bidirectional.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #105
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Thanks Tribble.

Gogolo
If that size of screen is out then I believe that Sony is going to announce a new reader. I love the look of the iRex (I think it's sexy) and would love a Mobi device; so I'll wait until Oct 2nd and decide but now the iRex is #1 on my list for a 2nd reader device.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote