Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-29-2023, 07:08 AM   #91
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kobo Aura 1, Kindle DXG, Kindle PW2
Regarding finding covers without ASIN, the feature was not removed: this was done via searching and scraping Goodreads. But the site has changed now and the data is no longer in the page, the page is now just an empty shell and book information is fetched asynchronously via JavaScript. It won't be trivial to scrape this new version and it will be even more fragile, bound to break at any point. The effort is beyond what I'm willing to maintain in my spare time and I'm inclined to simply delete the (now useless) scraping code. If somebody misses the feature very strongly and doesn't want to put ASINs in the metadata, then they can submit a pull request or fork the plug-in.
lbschenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:16 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
AFAIR, the ASIN was inserted into the identifier list when I downloaded metadata from Amazon which is getting iffier these days with the anti-DDOS precautions most web sites seem to be using. I'm finding myself having to use a web browser to grab the ASINs and manually insert them before the metadata download step.
I'm having to also insert the asin in the ID and then the plugin will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2024, 12:03 AM   #93
mytrivo
mytrivo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite signature edition
I'm trying to find out if this is a "me" problem or an "everyone" problem.
I have the Kindle Hi-Res cover plugin installed, but it's no longer retrieving them. It was working last week. I've made sure I have the mobi-asin id number, but I'm still only getting the small Amazon.com cover.
mytrivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 06:32 AM   #94
BigGeeNotts
BigGeeNotts began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD 10th Gen, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrivo View Post
I'm trying to find out if this is a "me" problem or an "everyone" problem.
I have the Kindle Hi-Res cover plugin installed, but it's no longer retrieving them. It was working last week. I've made sure I have the mobi-asin id number, but I'm still only getting the small Amazon.com cover.
I have the same problem as well but mine stopped working yesterday. Have reinstalled the plugin.

I also tried using https://www.ereader-palace.com/get-h...kindle-ebooks/ way as I think the plugin uses this method and it doesn't work either, so I can only assume that Amazon has changed the URLs
BigGeeNotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:27 AM   #95
iupiter
iupiter began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color
It's down for me too for at least a week
iupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2024, 11:17 AM   #96
lbschenkel
Enthusiast
lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lbschenkel has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Thank you for reporting the breakage. I have done some experimentation and I could find out a new working URL:
Code:
https://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/{asin}.01.MAIN._SCRM_.jpg
I have published a new version: 0.5.1. The old URLs were removed from the plug-in because they no longer seem to work.
Old 02-04-2024, 11:45 AM   #97
GeniusJ
Connoisseur
GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeniusJ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
Thank you for reporting the breakage. I have done some experimentation and I could find out a new working URL:
Code:
I have published a new version: 0.5.1. The old URLs were removed from the plug-in because they no longer seem to work.
Thank you for this new version. Downloading Kindle high-res covers now returns a MUCH faster result!
GeniusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 11:32 PM   #98
mytrivo
mytrivo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
Code:

Thank you so much for the new version. It works wonderfully.
mytrivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:49 PM   #99
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
I still get incorrect covers when downloading metadata (Edit Metadata, download metadata and covers). All my plugins are up to date as is Calibre. Is this unrelated to this plugin? I don't see a separate thread addressing this.
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:22 PM   #100
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I just tested 27 books where I supplied the ASIN in the ID field and all of them downloaded the correct cover when I clicked Edit metadata => Edit metadata individually => Download covers so I don't think that any issues are due to this plugin.

However I always use Edit metadata => Edit metadata individually. Download metadata and covers is something I avoid like the plague since it has always returned too many mismatches much as does Edit metadata in bulk.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:16 PM   #101
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do check the Identifiers entries. are correct (or none, if you use Get covers in the MDE.
Search the Internet plugin: (has a covers section)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 08:36 PM   #102
Ma'am-I-Am
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@DNSB
For me, the mismatched covers using this operation is very recent - say, within the last month or two (I didn't keep a record). I *love* that it's one-click. Doing covers and metadata separately is a pain although I have used the cover download for individual books.
I'd really like the one-click version fixed if possible. I haven't changed any preferences, so I figure it's the plugin or Calibre if it's not a plugin.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:05 PM   #103
Ma'am-I-Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do check the Identifiers entries. are correct (or none, if you use Get covers in the MDE.
Search the Internet plugin: (has a covers section)
Sorry, I don't know what MDE means.
Here's something that just happened.
I have a retail .azw3 - literally bought it myself - which has the right cover and mobi-asin as provided when I added the book (I also use Extract ISBN on every book). However, it has no description in the Comments. I like to have the description. Right-clicking the book, Edit Metadata, Download Metadata and Covers, results in a totally different book. This is actually extreme; it rarely happens to me, but has been happening more frequently lately I think.

Using Edit Metadata, Edit Metadata Individually, Download Metadata returns 4 results, one of which is correct. Choose that and I get the correct cover (which I had anyway, but still).

Something is wrong.

In Preferences, Advanced, Plugins, Preferences, there's a non-configurable plugin called Metadata Download 1.0.0. Perhaps that needs to be updated?
Old 02-12-2024, 10:33 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One item is that I've noticed when downloading metadata from Amazon, even using the ASIN often gives me multiple results and trying multiple times will not return the same collection of images each time. In the attached images, the Kindle Hi-Res cover in the second image matches the one on the ebook on Amazon (ISBN-13: 979-1259912985).

MDE is MetaData Editor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brave_new_world_cover_01.png
Views:	49
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	206354   Click image for larger version

Name:	brave_new_world_cover_02.png
Views:	50
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	206355  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-12-2024 at 10:35 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 10:36 AM   #105
lbschenkel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'am-I-Am View Post
@DNSB
For me, the mismatched covers using this operation is very recent - say, within the last month or two (I didn't keep a record). I *love* that it's one-click. Doing covers and metadata separately is a pain although I have used the cover download for individual books.
I'd really like the one-click version fixed if possible. I haven't changed any preferences, so I figure it's the plugin or Calibre if it's not a plugin.
The way that the Calibre plug-in API works is that plug-ins are invoked for a single book only. When you're downloading in batch, what's happening is that Calibre is invoking the plug-in multiple times, once per book, and aggregating the results. This happens transparently to the plug-in and it means that if you're seeing different results when doing a batch download, this is likely to be happening on the Calibre side.

That being said, one explanation could be that when you do a batch download, because the plug-in gets called in quick succession and then it hits the Amazon servers in quick succession as well, Amazon might not be liking that and is blocking/throttling some requests which never complete, and you only see partial results.

My suggestion is trying in smaller batches and seeing if it changes anything. If even small batches (2, 3 books) don't work, I don't really know what's going on in your case.

Last edited by lbschenkel; 02-13-2024 at 10:39 AM.