Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #91
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am so confused. I just put some books with the enhanced setting into my calibre via K4PC and it worked fine in there. Now I only use my calibre as a storage so to speak of my de-drm-ed books, I read them on my kindles, now Voyage by pulling them in through the cloud. So I have the enhanced settings and a stored copy in my calibre. I don't care if that copy is mobi, az3 or whatever it is. I just want to have a backup in case of who knows.
So its it still working or not, or will that stop. Befuddled is my middle name.

I have margins as I always had by the way, before and after re-downloading some books. No change there on my Voyage. There is hyphenation, but thankfully not a lot. I remember when the Scribd app updated a while ago and suddenly not only did i have huge margins, there was hyphenation going on in almost every other line.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #92
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are plenty of DRM free books with enhanced typesetting. This one is free:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMLL63O

I downloaded it for sideloading, unpacked it, didn't see anything special but as people point out maybe you have to deliver directly. I have not tried copying it off of the device to see what is going on.
Although that book downloads as a DRM-free azw3 file for sideloading, if you send it directly to your Kindle the kfx file appears to have some sort of DRM.

Some strings from the file header:

DRMION
ProtectedData
amzn1.drm-key.v1.903e8a5d-459e-4011-bd4b-c961100a002b
amzn1.drm-voucher.v1.019d0cfc-3674-432a-8bdb-cbe906e2de38
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #93
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are plenty of DRM free books with enhanced typesetting. This one is free:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00IMLL63O

I downloaded it for sideloading, unpacked it, didn't see anything special but as people point out maybe you have to deliver directly. I have not tried copying it off of the device to see what is going on.
And this confirms that the error that I got has nothing to do with DRM--I got the exact same error trying to open this book as I did with the other one I tried.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #94
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have taken a quick look inside some kfx files on my Kindle and I see that it is a significantly different format from previous Kindle formats. None of the existing software or "tools" can handle this as they are now.
When you say you are looking inside, do you mean you're looking at raw binary? I take it "existing software or tools" includes KindleUnpack, Alf and Calibre?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #95
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is starting (maybe) to get like the B&N situation.
You mean... not allowing people to download their books from a web browser or old devices and DeDRM them?

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #96
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
When you say you are looking inside, do you mean you're looking at raw binary? I take it "existing software or tools" includes KindleUnpack, Alf and Calibre?
Yes and yes.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #97
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My Paperwhite 3 and my Voyage 1 are both fine. The typesetting is working, the margins are fine, the new font is okay. I must be blessed.

Last edited by patrickt; 08-11-2015 at 05:43 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #98
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
My Paperwhite 3 and my Voyage 1 are both fine. They typesetting is working, the margins are fine, the new font is okay. I must be blessed.
Yes--everything works perfectly for books that are downloaded directly to the Kindle from Amazon and read on that Kindle. What we're trying to do is figure out a way for people to create books with the enhancements that can be sideloaded to the Kindle. So far, we're not having any luck.

Shari
Old 08-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #99
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
In my case, only books with hyphenation have the wide margins at the narrowest setting. I've downloaded books with advanced typesetting enabled, that do not have hyphenation for whatever reason, and the margins are normal.

So it seems to either be a bug or my PW3 (if no one else has this specific issue).
I'm going to reset the device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #100
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Apparently it's a problem with those two books I re-downloaded. I found a book with advanced typesetting enabled, with hyphenation. The margins are normal.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #101
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Restricting sideloaded books... I can't decide whether or not this is a good business decision.

On one hand, I will not buy a Kindle like this; on the other, if I had a Kindle, I would be a lot more inclined to buy from Amazon.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #102
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Restricting sideloaded books... I can't decide whether or not this is a good business decision.

On one hand, I will not buy a Kindle like this; on the other, if I had a Kindle, I would be a lot more inclined to buy from Amazon.
Books can still be sideloaded onto any Kindle, they just can't be in the .kfx format. Since that format is ONLY available to people who can download directly from Amazon to their Kindle, there really isn't a problem. I can still choose to download a book from Amazon to my PC and load it onto my Kindle using the USB Cable.

Shari
Old 08-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #103
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Am I correct in saying that if you want to save/store your books and have the new typography settings, you need to download 2 files? One directly to Kindle and a second by way of K4PC/USB to remove DRM?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #104
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes and yes.
<sigh> and <sigh>

Thank you for the info.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #105
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Am I correct in saying that if you want to save/store your books and have the new typography settings, you need to download 2 files? One directly to Kindle and a second by way of K4PC/USB to remove DRM?
Yes, at least for now.