Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #91
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
@theducks,
<<Calibre has a CONSISTENT interface.>>

Calibre has a commendably consistent interface, given its open architecture and flexibility. And as for real working value and supported features, it and its army of plug-in coders blow everything else off the map.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #92
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
@theducks,

Calibre has a commendably consistent interface, given its open architecture and flexibility. And as for real working value and supported features, it and its army of plug-in coders blow everything else off the map.
Consistent, yes - but I do agree with the earlier criticism that the little "this button has a pulldown menu" arrow is very easy to miss if you're not looking for or expecting to see it. I missed it for quite a while in the "review downloaded metadata" window.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2017, 04:03 PM   #93
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
@Diap,
<<It's all open source, though. So feel free to fork the github repo, and make it as user friendly as you want. I truly won't mind.>>

In our modern world, everything is open source...
We don't live in the same world, obviously
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #94
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
@theducks,

True, but "consistent" doesn't necessarily equal "good".

In the case of this plugin, it is rather poor. When you access the menu and click on the option the menu collapses and you don't see the effect. You have to reaccess the menu to see that the option is now checked. Also, when you click on the main button there is absolutely no indication of the state of the option. Again, a bad thing that could cause you to make a massive change you did not intend.

The plugin should abandon the drop down and move the option for operating on the current file or all files to either a check box or option list in the plugin's main dialog. That way it is easy to see the current state, easy to change the current state, and makes the presence of the option obvious.

The little "menu" arrow does indicate that there is some option, but doesn't indicate what option(s) are available. The user has to explore the menu on the off chance that some option may be available that will affect their useage.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #95
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
If you don't mind, some of us like the plugin design as is.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 01-24-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #96
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
True, but "consistent" doesn't necessarily equal "good".

In the case of this plugin, it is rather poor. When you access the menu and click on the option the menu collapses and you don't see the effect. You have to reaccess the menu to see that the option is now checked. Also, when you click on the main button there is absolutely no indication of the state of the option. Again, a bad thing that could cause you to make a massive change you did not intend.

The plugin should abandon the drop down and move the option for operating on the current file or all files to either a check box or option list in the plugin's main dialog. That way it is easy to see the current state, easy to change the current state, and makes the presence of the option obvious.

The little "menu" arrow does indicate that there is some option, but doesn't indicate what option(s) are available. The user has to explore the menu on the off chance that some option may be available that will affect their useage.
Patches welcome. I don't care enough to change it. Maybe someone who does care enough will donate their time and share it with everyone.

Just curious how you deal with not knowing what options are available on calibre's drop-down menus (on the main menu) before you click them?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2017 at 05:32 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #97
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

Just curious how you deal with not knowing what options are available on calibre's drop-down menus (on the main menu) before you click them?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My biggest issue with the UI is that even after you've become experienced with the plugin, you don't know the current state of the option without opening the menu. This adds an extra step when you first use the plugin in a particular editing session. It is quite unsafe to click the button without first opening the menu to check the current state. This, added to the fact that you have no confirmation that you've actually clicked accurately enough on the menu to toggle the state rather than missing slightly and just collapsing the menu with no change, makes the UI design unnecessarily difficult to use reliably.

A visible control in the main dialog would be far better design. That way every time you open the dialog you can clearly see the current state of operation. You would also have reliable visible indication that you actually toggled the current setting.

A visible control in the main UI is the method used by calibre's editor's Find & Replace panel so such UI would be quite consistent with other established calibre UI.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #98
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is quite unsafe to click the button without first opening the menu to check the current state.
Actually, given the checkpoints and the visual diff ... nothing this plugin does can accurately be labeled as "quite unsafe" (unless you choose to skip the diff and option to revert, and ignore the available checkpoints after discovering a problem). *shrug*

Quote:
This, added to the fact that you have no confirmation that you've actually clicked accurately enough on the menu to toggle the state rather than missing slightly and just collapsing the menu with no change, makes the UI design unnecessarily difficult to use reliably.
That sounds a little paranoid to me. If you click anywhere on the submenu (it changes color when the mouse is in the right place), and the submenu goes away, then you've toggled the state. You can't click on the submenu without SOMETHING happening (you've toggled the state or opened the tag config dialog). You could miss entirely, I guess, but how likely is that?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 PM   #99
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have any idea what you're all on about, what menu, what drop down. Can someone post a screen shot please?

Note: because I avoid using a mouse, I don't use toolbars, this is what I see in the Plugins menu

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	154470

If I had to criticise anything it's that I have to work out via elimination where the options come from. IMO the DET options should be grouped in a flyout menu

Aside - one of the reasons I stopped using calibre's library mgt toolbars (without icons even) is that I could never intuit why some buttons had drop downs and others didn't. No need to explain why, I know why, but IMO the rationale is obscure - i.e. non intuitive.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM   #100
dwig
Wizard

Quote:
... You could miss entirely, I guess, but how likely is that?
Likely enough that it happens to me 2-4 times a week in one program or another. I miss my click either because I aimed wrong or I nudged the mouse while pressing the mouse button. Maybe its old age in general or an early early sign in Parkinson's. Either way, it happens and it is a concern when the UI leaves no visual confirmation.

The only advantage to the current UI is that it is the way the plugin is currently coded and effort would be necessary to change it. I fully understand reluctance to make a change. I spent a long time in the software business designing functionality & then related UI, resolving user issues with existing functionality & UI, and designing the quality assurance systems to verify that code works as designed.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #101
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't have any idea what you're all on about, what menu, what drop down. Can someone post a screen shot please?
View->Toolbars->Plugins Toobar (Looks like you've got none of the toolbars checked)

Visible tools icons are configurable in Preferences->Toolbars->Bookwide tools from third party plugins
Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #102
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Likely enough that it happens to me 2-4 times a week in one program or another. I miss my click either because I aimed wrong or I nudged the mouse while pressing the mouse button. Maybe its old age in general or an early early sign in Parkinson's. Either way, it happens and it is a concern when the UI leaves no visual confirmation.
I've been baffled by the complaints because every application I use daily either has a drop-down attached to a toolbar button or a menu item used to indicate a option. The latter has been part of the user interface for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure it was included in original the CUA specs that have been the influencing UI design for the last 30 years.

For the menu item, a lot do have have an action when the check is changed (in Firefox, View->Toolbar - clicking one displays or removes a toolbar), but as many don't (in Firefox, View->Zoom->Zoom Text Only - clicking changes the option but affects what happens the next time you change the zoom level)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #103
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
View->Toolbars->Plugins Toobar (Looks like you've got none of the toolbars checked)

Visible tools icons are configurable in Preferences->Toolbars->Bookwide tools from third party plugins
Due to injury I find using the mouse difficult (to click or to hover), so I regard toolbars, particularly must-click iconic toolbars, as a waste of space.

IMO if the DET functions are to have drop down menus on toolbar icons, then the equivalent menu items should have flyout menus.

If an icon is not well-known or bleedin' obvious then an icon's purpose is often difficult to intuit; a'la Sigil's power-plugs that look like granny's flat-irons. In this instance, it would help if the order in which the plugin tools are shown in the menu and on the toolbar were the same.

Does Sigil's Tag Mechanic, which what I normally use to fix spans etc, have this drop down issue. I don't show tool bars in Sigil either.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #104
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
IMO if the DET functions are to have drop down menus on toolbar icons, then the equivalent menu items should have flyout menus.
So far as I know, the Tool Plugin framework gives me no control over the Plugin menu behavior (at least it didn't at the time the plugin was created—that could have changed since). The configuration option would indeed exist in both places (fly-out menu and toolbar dropdown) if it did.

EDIT: actually, it looks as if I can easily add the configuration option to the plugin menu. I'll get that change made. Just be aware that even though there'll be a fly-out menu on the plugin menu entry, it will still be the same terribly inefficient, horribly unintuitive, (not to mention impossible to find) check-box that's on the Toolbar's dropdown menu. But at least you'll have all the options without having to use the Toolbar.

Quote:
If an icon is not well-known or bleedin' obvious then an icon's purpose is often difficult to intuit; a'la Sigil's power-plugs that look like granny's flat-irons.
Still on about not knowing what a power cord (the plug end) looks like, eh? What flat-iron ever had two prongs sticking out the side?

Quote:
In this instance, it would help if the order in which the plugin tools are shown in the menu and on the toolbar were the same.
Reorder the icons in the Toolbar (through the Editor's Toolbar preferences) to match the order they show up in the menu then. I, as a plugin developer, have no control over the latter (looks alphabetical to me). You, as a user, have control over the former.

Quote:
Does Sigil's Tag Mechanic, which what I normally use to fix spans etc, have this drop down issue. I don't show tool bars in Sigil either.
No. Sigil's version has no separate config for choosing which files the plugin operates on. The html files that are selected in the Book Browser when the plugin is launched are the ones that are affected. The very first bolded list-item in the Sigil equivalent's support thead states:

Quote:
1) This plugin operates on the Text files selected/highlighted in Sigil's Book Browser, so make sure you highlight the files you want to work with before launching the plugin.
I know written instructions aren't cool anymore. That everything that's not immediately intuitable (by all sentient creatures) by merely glancing at a UI is deemed an interface failure in this day and age, but ... . I'm still a firm believer in RTFM (however poorly written, insufficient and inconvenient that M may be).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #105
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
So far as I know, the Tool Plugin framework gives me no control over the Plugin menu behavior (at least it didn't at the time the plugin was created—that could have changed since). The configuration option would indeed exist in both places (fly-out menu and toolbar dropdown) if it did.
Just FYI. Editor plugin items can show a submenu for both a Tool button and a Plugin menu item. A few of my own have a Config option which shows up in both places.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Accidentally edited instead of quoted ... oops!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote