Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #91
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Assuming the underlying content is of the same quality, what annoys you more in business communication:
The occasional text-speak-like code and shorthand, or people that TRY to sound formal and business-like, and fail?
My problem is the opposite. I spend so much of my life writing in a formal business context that I find it very difficult to write "informally" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #92
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
EMF disturbance. Riiight.
Hey, I thought I'd try "nice" for a change.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #93
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
or have sentences contructed in needless complex ways, presumably because they think it sounds more "educated" or "professional."

ApK
Sometimes it is just stage fright, like Diap suggested. What one writes is officially 'on the record'. Nobody wants to sound (read) dumb. Nor do they want that dumbness replicated, forwarded, referred to, and god forbid, overtly pointed out. [He ended his sentence in a preposition, lol. He split his infinitive, rof.]

More often, the writer doesn't really know exactly what they're trying to convey. If it is muddled in their head, that's how it comes out on paper.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #94
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
More often, the writer doesn't really know exactly what they're trying to convey. If it is muddled in their head, that's how it comes out on paper.
A loong time ago when I was in training I had a manager who wouldn't listen to any proposal or issue presented to him verbally. He always said "go back and put it on paper". His view was that the exercise of putting it on paper and presenting a coherent argument or summary would show you whether your thinking was muddled or clear. He did his job, it was good training, and I have to say I agree with him. Discussions can be verbal but initial presentations or arguments benefit a lot from the discipline of having to write them down and then judge if they make sense.

(This presupposes that people actually read what they have written of course )
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #95
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Self-respect draining away?
/mortified beyond belief.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #96
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
/mortified beyond belief.
Don't be. I find it amazing that I can pick something tiny like that out of someone else's post, but miss the amazingly huge blunders I can make in my own. Brain apparently goes bye-bye while proofreading my own stuff. Must say something about what my self conscious thinks of my conscious' postings.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #97
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Don't be. I find it amazing that I can pick something tiny like that out of someone else's post, but miss the amazingly huge blunders I can make in my own. Brain apparently goes bye-bye while proofreading my own stuff. Must say something about what my self conscious thinks of my conscious' postings.
That's true for just about everybody. That's why it's best to have someone else edit/proofread your stuff, or at least come back to it after some time has passed, so you see what's actually on the page, and not just what you expect.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #98
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
That's true for just about everybody. That's why it's best to have someone else edit/proofread your stuff, or at least come back to it after some time has passed, so you see what's actually on the page, and not just what you expect.
But I had to post that as sort of apology.
As Dark Overlord of Evil Canada, I'm Evil enough to enjoy pointing out the shortcommings of others ( Bwah hah hah hah ha! ), but, unfortunately, I'm Canadian enough to feel the need to smooth over the hurt feelings ().

Damn my paradoxical nature!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #99
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
But I had to post that as sort of apology.
As Dark Overlord of Evil Canada, I'm Evil enough to enjoy pointing out the shortcommings of others ( Bwah hah hah hah ha! ), but, unfortunately, I'm Canadian enough to feel the need to smooth over the hurt feelings ().

Damn my paradoxical nature!
If you want any respect in the Dark Overlord community, you'll have to move to a country with a bigger and badder rep...or slaughter a quarter of your population.

And I believe that the PC term for short commies is "Little Persons with Marxist leanings".
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credibility, grammar, spelling, writing tips