Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 05:26 AM   #91
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
At one strange corporate job, I had to take a personality test, and I was almost an exact match for Steve Jobs. Never knew what to make of that.
My condolences.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #92
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
1. too low resolution -it should be 150ppi at least (1200x720 for example)
2. glossy

these ar just my 2 cents the rest thing mentioned I can accept - it is not do it all device
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #93
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ings/#comments

Apple is starting to be a really creepy company.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #94
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I have a netbook and am thinking of getting an iPad to replace it. Stats and lists like the one below are never persuasive. The main question for me, always, is how a device fits into my life and my workflow and whether, in the absence of one piece of technology, another exists that allows the same functionality. New paradigms sometimes require new means to get to the same ends.

For example - number 1 says no USB. I rarely use USB keys at home to tranfer data...I prefer dropbox or hfs. There would be something similar for the iPad.

Number 5 says no Flash. I watch video, use Pandora, and play the occasional casual game. Otherwise, I have flash disabled on my netbook browser. While I may not be able to play the same games, there are games.

Number 6 says that I can only install apps from one place. As long as it has the apps I need (and it does) there is no loss for me here.

It's a computer, not a techno-political statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
The real top ten reasons not to buy an iPad:

1. No USB port(s)
2. No SDHC card reader built-in
3. Relies on iTunes
4. No file browser, no copy/paste
5. No Flash
6. Proprietary port instead of mini-USB
7. Can only install apps from one place
8. Way overpriced, Apple TAX in the extreme
9. Glossy screen instead of matte finish
10. Device has to be “authorized” to function
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #95
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
It's a computer, not a techno-political statement.
yes and no. You are "voting" with your wallet. If you support a company and its practices with your dollars then you are giving your approval to their way of conducting business (whether it is Apple, Microsoft, or U.S. Steel)..
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #96
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
RockdaMan: Agreed.

iPad has replaced my two netbooks. The key thing I can't do with iPad is Skype video. (When I'm abroad for months, I wanna see my young niece and nephew.) I do that on my laptop, which I also bring when away from home for long stretches.

For me, iPad has been a great addition, because of portability and form factor. YMMV.

I still use my laptop, but much less. I won't buy any more netbooks.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #97
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ings/#comments

Apple is starting to be a really creepy company.
Shrug. I don't need ratings on apps, music or movies, but maybe other people find 'em useful. Parents might find 'em handy, for instance.

Thanks for the link, though. I've been meaning to check out the Atomic browser for months and forgot. I just checked it out and bought it. It looks like a big step up from the preloaded Safari browser; well worth 99 cents.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #98
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
yes and no. You are "voting" with your wallet. If you support a company and its practices with your dollars then you are giving your approval to their way of conducting business (whether it is Apple, Microsoft, or U.S. Steel)..
No I'm not.

It's a business exchange...my money for the results of their research and work.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #99
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm a "serious" reader and have gotten used to charging my iPad daily. Works fine.

I edit for a living. I've spent months prepping for work daily by reading online for about an hour each morning on iPad; I get up to speed, take notes and go straight into a daily meeting. iPad also lets me catch up my e-mail on the go before work.

Reading also is my main hobby. I haven't watched TV in years. It takes me two to four hours to read a book, depending on content. I can easily read a book a day and still have a good amount of time to goof around on my iPad.

I was taking a long break from work when I got my iPad, and I did run outta battery power then, but I was using it for easily 10 hours a day.
Like you, I have both an iPad and a Kindle (actually, two, Kindles & a Sony). The iPad is a fantastic device, but for reading, I prefer a Kindle. But I love the iPad for word processing when I'm away from my computer, and the apps are fantastic.

What kind of editing do you do? Proof-reading?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #100
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
At one strange corporate job, I had to take a personality test, and I was almost an exact match for Steve Jobs. Never knew what to make of that.
You may be the next messiah.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #101
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Like you, I have both an iPad and a Kindle (actually, two, Kindles & a Sony). The iPad is a fantastic device, but for reading, I prefer a Kindle. But I love the iPad for word processing when I'm away from my computer, and the apps are fantastic.

What kind of editing do you do? Proof-reading?
No, I do more intensive editing. The six-figure kind, lol. I hire, train and supervise editors. I also edit, because that's the fun part.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #102
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No I'm not.

It's a business exchange...my money for the results of their research and work.
Believe what you want, but it's not just business.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #103
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
While I won't deny the existence of an "Apple cult", I'm starting to think there is also an "anti-Apple cult".
I think there certainly are people who are anti-Apple simply because it's Apple. I tend to think there aren't a lot of such people, though. There are rational reasons to like and dislike Apple products.

(The following is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.)

The iPad, specifically, has its good points. It's got a beautiful screen, and Apple obviously's gotten the UI as right as they could get it without a physical keyboard.

On the other hand, what I think they've gotten horribly, horribly wrong is the closed software ecosystem. Any company even trying to tell me what applications I am allowed to run on my computer is something that's not going to fly with me. Yes, of course you can jailbreak your iPad, but the point is you shouldn't have to. What business is it of Apple's what I run on my machine? To save themselves some money on tech support and reputation points vis a vis viruses they're going to lock down my machine so I can't install what I want? I don't think so.

And now they're trying to move that experience on to OS X proper by incorporating an App Store there.

Having said all that, if an iPad could be modded to run Linux, and I could afford it, I'd be all over it.

(As an aside, I have to admit that one of the criticisms I have of my Kindle is that it uses a modified, much more locked-down version of Linux. I'd like to see it opened up a bit more so that you could have things like a note-taking app, or even a full-fledged word processor that saved to Kindle format. )

Last edited by bhartman36; 12-27-2010 at 11:28 AM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #104
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Number 5 says no Flash. I watch video, use Pandora, and play the occasional casual game. Otherwise, I have flash disabled on my netbook browser. While I may not be able to play the same games, there are games.
It's not games that are the issue. Lack of Flash would stop me navigating some of my favourite websites, would prevent me from watching news clips on the BBC site, would prevent me using my paid subscription for Tennis TV, and the list goes on. Plenty of people need Flash, and, just as you've indicated for yourself, it's not really the games that they'd miss.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #105
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Yum, cupcakes!

I love digital cupcakes, lol.
I'd rather have Honeycomb.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote