Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #91
syoggy
syoggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, NookColor, and Pocketbook IQ
Interesting... so i feel less cheated (not that I need another usb cable). My big question then becomes, has anyone connected the IQ via USB? I have tried several cables and both Mac and Windows systems and no love. My Droid connects like a champ every time.
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #92
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by syoggy View Post
Interesting... so i feel less cheated (not that I need another usb cable). My big question then becomes, has anyone connected the IQ via USB? I have tried several cables and both Mac and Windows systems and no love. My Droid connects like a champ every time.
Well, I do feel a little cheated. What if I was a user that had no additional USB cables at home? Here I just bought a device with no way to connect it to my PC to put ebooks on it. Come on, PocketBook, USB cables are cheap and you know it.

I have connected my IQ to my PC many times through USB. Never had any trouble. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Do a fresh reboot and connect the IQ. The first time I connected my IQ it did not work, either. But that may have been before I installed the November 20 firmware...I don't remember.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #93
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I'm really beginning to see the differences between a capacitive screen and a resistive screen. Capacitive is the way to go, no doubt about it. I get tired of pressing the screen firmly on something I want to open, only to have the IQ do nothing. Or maybe it highlights what I wanted to select, but doesn't launch any action. Then I have to press it again and hopefully this time it'll do what I want. I'm beginning to get frustrated with the screen.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #94
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
I'm really beginning to see the differences between a capacitive screen and a resistive screen. Capacitive is the way to go, no doubt about it. I get tired of pressing the screen firmly on something I want to open, only to have the IQ do nothing. Or maybe it highlights what I wanted to select, but doesn't launch any action. Then I have to press it again and hopefully this time it'll do what I want. I'm beginning to get frustrated with the screen.

Indeed... but not everyone has 300$+ to shell to get a tablet with a capacitive screen or else, we would probably all have Galaxy Tabs
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #95
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
I'm wondering if there are any comments on battery life?

M.
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #96
syoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
Well, I do feel a little cheated. What if I was a user that had no additional USB cables at home? Here I just bought a device with no way to connect it to my PC to put ebooks on it. Come on, PocketBook, USB cables are cheap and you know it.

I have connected my IQ to my PC many times through USB. Never had any trouble. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. Do a fresh reboot and connect the IQ. The first time I connected my IQ it did not work, either. But that may have been before I installed the November 20 firmware...I don't remember.
True enough. Thanks for the tip, I will try a fresh reboot and see if that makes a difference.
You mention a November 20 firmware... How does one tell what firmware version is installed? I see only Eclair under About Device.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #97
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
Indeed... but not everyone has 300$+ to shell to get a tablet with a capacitive screen or else, we would probably all have Galaxy Tabs
No kidding! The capacitive screens really add a lot to the price of the device. I could pay $200 for a capacitive IQ, but not the $500 I see for the Galaxy Tab. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myle00 View Post
I'm wondering if there are any comments on battery life?

M.
Between 4-6 hours. I usually get 5. Less if I am using the wifi and Internet heavily, more if I'm only doing ereading with wifi off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoggy View Post
True enough. Thanks for the tip, I will try a fresh reboot and see if that makes a difference.
You mention a November 20 firmware... How does one tell what firmware version is installed? I see only Eclair under About Device.
I don't know of a definite way to see the version, unfortunately. It'll say Eclair whether you have the pre-retail or retail (Nov. 20) version of firmware. If the device was shipped on or after November 20, it's likely you have the retail (Nov. 20) firmware installed.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #98
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Not having successfully installed the Nov. 20 upgrade, I'm not sure about this, but I saw a couple of new apps in the upgrade--DolphinBrowser, Opera Mini, and RockPlayer. If those are present, whether you actually installed them or not, then perhaps you have the Nov. 20 upgrade? Also, there appears to be a English-English dictionary which should show up in your Dictionaries with no action on your part beyond installing the update. I know it didn't come with an Eng-Eng dictionary, so if you have one that you didn't put there, I would think you've got the update.

And there's supposed to be another one coming out tomorrow. It's supposed to fix some more bugs, but beyond that I don't know what's included. I believe that Eclair refers to the Android version, which has not been updated on IQ as of yet.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #99
Palladin
Connoisseur
Palladin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, 350 & Pocketbook IQ
Home page is white; yellow with nov 20 firmware ( and it comes with 1913 Eng dictionary). I can't wait for 2.2, I do not know how anyone ( Apple ) can be happy without flash.

Last edited by Palladin; 11-28-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Palladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #100
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Not having successfully installed the Nov. 20 upgrade, I'm not sure about this, but I saw a couple of new apps in the upgrade--DolphinBrowser, Opera Mini, and RockPlayer. If those are present, whether you actually installed them or not, then perhaps you have the Nov. 20 upgrade? Also, there appears to be a English-English dictionary which should show up in your Dictionaries with no action on your part beyond installing the update. I know it didn't come with an Eng-Eng dictionary, so if you have one that you didn't put there, I would think you've got the update.

And there's supposed to be another one coming out tomorrow. It's supposed to fix some more bugs, but beyond that I don't know what's included. I believe that Eclair refers to the Android version, which has not been updated on IQ as of yet.
I'm looking at my IQ now and it has the Nov. 20 firmware. I don't see any of those apps you mentioned. I do not have any Eng-Eng dictionary, either. I have a Webster 1913 English, English-German, and what appears to be Russian or Ukrainian dictionary. Unless I deleted one when removing the bundled books maybe?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #101
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
hmm. Did you install the Webster 1913 yourself? That could be the Eng-Eng dictionary as opposed to English - German or Russian - anything. The name of it in the dictionaries folder in the Nov 20 update is English - English but it could well be the Webster 1913. I am pretty sure it originally came with German-English and Russian-something, but no plain English dictionary. The dictionaries are in their own folder, so removing books should not have affected them. You can hook up the IQ to your PC and take a look in the various folders and see what's there.

I don't know about the apps--maybe they need to be installed instead of just sideloaded? Do they show up in the file manager? How about if you explore using your PC?
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:19 PM   #102
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
hmm. Did you install the Webster 1913 yourself? That could be the Eng-Eng dictionary as opposed to English - German or Russian - anything. The name of it in the dictionaries folder in the Nov 20 update is English - English but it could well be the Webster 1913. I am pretty sure it originally came with German-English and Russian-something, but no plain English dictionary. The dictionaries are in their own folder, so removing books should not have affected them. You can hook up the IQ to your PC and take a look in the various folders and see what's there.

I don't know about the apps--maybe they need to be installed instead of just sideloaded? Do they show up in the file manager? How about if you explore using your PC?
We have the same dictionaries. If I hook my IQ to USB and browse the Dictionary folder I do see the English_English.txt dictionary as you do. However, Android or the PocketBook software displays it as Webster 1913 on the IQ's screen when pressing Dictionary on the home screen. I have attached a screenshot.

You know what, I do recall some apps sitting in the "app" directory when viewing it via USB. I deleted them all. I do think I saw "rock" something in there when I was deleting them. I think you're right about that, they were in the app folder. They are not installed apps, you are seeing the .apk files, which are installer files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IQ_Dictionaries.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	62004  
Old 11-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #103
kalle17
kalle17 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302, PocketBook IQ701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
We are checking the software for big errors right now. If it does what it should do, it will be up by monday and that's looking good so far.
Are there any news?
kalle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 AM   #104
syoggy

Figured out a way to get .apk files onto the IQ if you have an Android phone. Get Astro Filemanager (which is a good one) from the market place, and use the backup feature to back up the apps you want to have on the IQ. Connect your phone and IQ to a computer and you can then copy to the sdcard on the IQ and install using the file manager.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #105
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Just what I've done with my Galaxy S
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote