Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #91
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Thanks for your efforts. I'll wait for a new version.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #92
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There was a new column _SyncTime added to the shelf table, which my mod is stumbling over. This _SyncTime is either empty or contains a date like "2016-09-02T13:50:09Z". I'll have to do some experiments how this affects syncing behaviour [whether I should set it, clear it, keep it], so as to avoid old bugs (sync doubling your shelves) coming back.

I'll also have to change some other things, add a debug log option [currently this is dumped to tmpfs which just wastes memory, it's a leftover I forgot to remove before release], and move the image files to a subdir so the cfg file won't be hidden under them. Finally the updated version should work for both 3.x and 4.x firmwares...

I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-02-2016 at 09:59 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Set _SyncTime to null and _IsSynced to "false". The firmware will update these when the user does an sync.

The trickier one is "_IsDeleted". In the KoboTouch driver, if _IsSynced is true, I set _IsDeleted to true as well. Then it gets deleted during a sync and the server deletes it and passes that on to other devices. If it is false, I delete the row.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #94
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The updated version should work for both 3.1x and 4.x firmware now. I more or less ended up ignoring the new _SyncTime column. Also there is a new 'logfile' option in the config file [by default not set], which will dump some info (list of files considered, SQL executed, SQL errors encountered).
Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #95
JohnD2
JohnD2 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The only thing that comes to mind is that the udev rule for some reason won't trigger on a Glo HD, if it uses different usb driver... Unfortunately I don't have a Glo HD to test with.
Indeed it doesn't get activated in the Glo HD.
What I see in the standard firmware tar is: \lib\udev\rules.d\kobo.rules
So I don't see a \etc\udev\rules.d

the file kobo.rules contains:
Code:
KERNEL=="mmcblk[1-9]p[1-9]", RUN+="/usr/local/Kobo/udev/sd"
KERNEL=="usb_host", RUN+="/usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug"
KERNEL=="fsl-usb2-udc", ACTION=="offline", RUN+="/usr/local/Kobo/udev/plug"
KERNEL=="usb_plug", RUN+="/usr/local/Kobo/udev/ac"
So perhaps on the Glo HD the file should be on that location to get activated ?
JohnD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #96
frostschutz
Linux User

So while connected to USB, and tapping the screen, doesn't give you an AutoShelf icon?

The location of the rules isn't the problem, it's the rule itself, I'm guessing.

Out of these rules the one I'm using is the fsl-usb2-udc. Not sure why I chose that one, it just worked for me.

I guess I'll have to add the usb_host rule as well (and then make sure that I don't have two instances fighting one another...).

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit:

Did some more testing with the usb_host rule. It's not usable because they also run when charging only, regardless whether you choose connect/cancel in the popup dialog. fsl-usb2-udc OTOH only runs when Kobo goes into PC connection mode. Not sure why it wouldn't work for some devices...

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-09-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:03 AM   #97
frostschutz
Linux User

I think there may be some confusion about this mod since you not only have to install it, but also enable it while connected to PC, by touching the screen. (You can choose whether to run AutoShelf or not every time you connect to PC. It only makes sense to run it if there already are new books in the database. That's after you copied new books on and Kobo updated its database).

Previously the AutoShelf icon would only be displayed after touching the display, there was no indication that AutoShelf was installed when not touching the display.

I've updated it so an icon will always be displayed (so you know that it's installed at all, and udev rule works), but it will only say "AUTOSHELF" (meaning it's enabled) after you touch the screen.

I also changed the way it detects whether the data partition is mounted. Previously it checked for /mnt/onboard/.kobo but this could exist even while unmounted, if someone mkdir'd it while unmounted. Now it looks for /mnt/onboard in /proc/mounts.

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-10-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #98
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
I agree that does not work in the Glo HD.

I have a aura H2O and works perfectly when I connect the reader to PC and I press on the screen: In the latest version I see the two icons (with and without the word autoshelf), but when connecting the GloHD not appear the icons.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #99
frostschutz
Linux User

Can you test this script on the Glo HD?

It logs which of the udev kobo.rules are running. Install it, then connect to PC a 3-4 times. If possible note down the exact time when you press the "Connect" to PC button.

There should be a .kobo/udevlog.txt, please post it after a few PC connections.

To uninstall afterwards, rename it to .kobo/udevlog-uninstall.txt and check there is a .kobo/udevlog-uninstalled-$date as confirmation it actually uninstalled.

Thanks for your help

Edit: removed attachment, no longer required for now

Last edited by frostschutz; 09-17-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #100
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Can you test this script on the Glo HD?

It logs which of the udev kobo.rules are running. Install it, then connect to PC a 3-4 times. If possible note down the exact time when you press the "Connect" to PC button.

There should be a .kobo/udevlog.txt, please post it after a few PC connections.

To uninstall afterwards, rename it to .kobo/udevlog-uninstall.txt and check there is a .kobo/udevlog-uninstalled-$date as confirmation it actually uninstalled.

Thanks for your help
The exact time when I press the "connect":

- 17:09:34
- 17:10:14
- 17:10:45
- 17:11:20
- 17:12:00
Attached Files
File Type: txt udevlog.txt (6.6 KB, 233 views)
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #101
frostschutz
Linux User

Thanks. (Please remember to uninstall it.)

The fsl-usb2-udc rule is only run once for "add", this should be during device bootup. Later on it didn't run again. So it seems this can't be relied upon and I'll have to find another way.

Without the fsl-usb2-udc event there simply is no notification as to when the "Connect" button is pressed. I'll have to inotify watch some file to receive the unmount event when Kobo unmounted the filesystem to be exported via USB.

And then hope the USB plug remove event is called instantly enough to still make things work on unplugging, where AutoShelf freezes nickel to modify the database before nickel checks it for collection and other changes.

I'll see what I can do.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:52 AM   #102
LuQQ
LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's not work on my new Kobo Aura One@4.0.7523
LuQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #103
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuQQ View Post
It's not work on my new Kobo Aura One@4.0.7523
Yes, see the few posts above yours. If you like to experiment, you could also run the udevlog above and post it... I assume the fsl-usb rules will be missing same as with surquizu's Glo HD.

Although these devices are all using the same firmware, there are more differences than you expect sometimes. Same udev rules not running on all devices is kinda unexpected for me.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #104
LuQQ
LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.LuQQ is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yes, see the few posts above yours. If you like to experiment, you could also run the udevlog above and post it... I assume the fsl-usb rules will be missing same as with surquizu's Glo HD.

Although these devices are all using the same firmware, there are more differences than you expect sometimes. Same udev rules not running on all devices is kinda unexpected for me.
The exact time when I press the "connect":
-23:18:41
-23:19:20
-23:20:10
-23:21:20
-23:22:50

Hope it can help you!
Attached Files
File Type: txt udevlog.txt (5.6 KB, 255 views)
LuQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #105
frostschutz
Linux User

Thanks. With any luck, I'll post an update over the weekend.