Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #91
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
No, but it will overwrite modifications to core program files. But that's only done on startup. Everything you're talking about is just the download/preparation.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #92
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
As for KFMon, the install scripts can handle its install package from the main KFMon thread if you wish to update .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #93
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Ok will check kfmon thread.
Thanks for the input guys
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:58 AM   #94
KoboAuraOne
KoboAuraOne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
How to replace (delete) Nickel?

Hi! I succesfully installed Plato and KOreader, and I want to delete Nickel because I don't see the use of it anymore and it's proprietary software, is this possible? Can someone explain me how to do this and how to still be able to boot Plato (and Koreader, but only Plato is also fine)? I couldn't find anything on the web, thanks!
KoboAuraOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #95
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
You can't remove nickel, it is system software of sorts.

But, you can start using KSM (packages discussed here depends on having nickel), with it you boot in KSM, or, if you want, you can auto start whatever option (koreader, plato, nickel...).

In short, you need KSM to avoid using nickel, but you can't remove nickel completely.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #96
KoboAuraOne
KoboAuraOne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks!
KoboAuraOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #97
Arkeus
Enthusiast
Arkeus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So I just installed this using the second method, and it seemed to work....

But now I am stuck in a new format of book launcher (I guess kmon?) and I can't go to home anymore, so as far as I know neither Koreader nor Plato seems to exist? At least there is no 'home' button, 'quit' just does a reboot, and I can't find where Plato/Koreader would be.

Also, all of my books orders have been messed up (so I need to recall which books I was reading as 'last added is random')

EDIT: Actually, looking at screenshots, it seems it put me in Plato by default, with no option of leaving. ... How do I leave?

Re-EDIT: I guess 'quit' is supposed to be fore leaving, except it says 'Kmon: not spawning plato.sf : still running'

Last edited by Arkeus; 04-22-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #98
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Arkeus: which FW version are you running, and on which device? And which package did you install?

Yes, you seem to be stuck in Plato, which should never happen, because it shouldn't start without user input, and you should be able to exit it safely.

What happens if you hard reboot the device? (Generally achieved by holding the power button for a while, until the screen turns off, then waiting a bit, and eventually pushing the power button normally. See the Kobo FAQ for your specific device).

EDIT: Okay, I did manage to reproduce a boot straight into Plato on an initial install, which is definitely something new since FW 4.13, I'd say (and not at all the expected behavior, as I mentioned ).
But that did not prevent me from quitting Plato properly, though.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-22-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #99
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, I updated the packages with an updated version of KFMon that *should* workaround this new bit of shenanigan on FW >= 4.13.

I was only able to reproduce half of what @Arkeus experienced (namely, stuff getting auto-launched at boot on the first boot after new stuff is installed), so, this only fixes that bit of the equation.

Waiting for more info to figure out the rest .
Old 05-02-2019, 08:11 AM   #100
DamienCassou
DamienCassou began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Hi. Thank you for your one-click package. It's good that some people simplify these processes.

I've ran the install.sh script today for the first time after a factory reset of my Kobo Aura HD. I got the "Installation successful!" message. After I unmounted and removed the USB cable, the Kobo said it was upgrading and then it rebooted. But the Kobo went back to Nickel with the library empty. I tried rebooting again but the result is the same. When I mounted the Kobo again, the filesystem seemed to contain reasonable stuff (e.g., 'kfmon/', 'koreader/' and 'plato/' in '.adds/'). I tried running the install.sh script again but I got the same result.

How can I start KOReader?

Nickel tells me that the Software Version is "2.5.0 (005513d0d1, 4/9/13)".
DamienCassou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #101
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@DamienCassou: You'll have to update your device first .

KFMon requires Nickel >= 2.9.0 *at the very least*, but running a current version is highly recommended.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #102
DamienCassou
DamienCassou began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DamienCassou: You'll have to update your device first .

KFMon requires Nickel >= 2.9.0 *at the very least*, but running a current version is highly recommended.
that fixed my problem, thank you.
DamienCassou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #103
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Excellent work, perfect.

Very very good job. Do you have an account to make a donation?
Thank you, really very good job.
*Tested on KOBO Clara HD
Michal Jancik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #104
nikosmonaut
nikosmonaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello,

I just installed Koreader on my Kobo Forma device with the one click install method and I'm pretty happy with it. But I'm trying to understand other methods to have more control over it. I don't understand how does all this work. What are the meanings of thoses terms :
- kfmon
- fmon
- ksm
- nickel ?

I thought that Koreader was like a kind of custom OS to replace the kobo firmware. But instead it launched on top of it like a virtual machine. It just seems wrong.

Is it possible to just install Koreader on barebone kobo hardware and to not keep any software from kobo ?
nikosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosmonaut View Post
I just installed Koreader on my Kobo Forma device with the one click install method and I'm pretty happy with it. But I'm trying to understand other methods to have more control over it. I don't understand how does all this work. What are the meanings of thoses terms :
- kfmon
- fmon
- ksm
- nickel ?
kfmon is an improved version of Sergey's fmon launcher, basically it can start a specific action when you tap on a "book" which is often a .png file.

fmon has issues and basically no error checking. There is a version by baskerville which adds many of the same checks as fmon uses.

KSM (Kobo Start Menu) has the capability of more actions but for most people, launching KOReader (or Plato or other reading software) is what they are looking for.

Nickel is a Kobo supplied application. It is where much of the magic happens.

Since kfmon, fmon and KSM patch the same script file, don't try installing more than one of them at a time. The results can be "interesting".

Quote:
I thought that Koreader was like a kind of custom OS to replace the kobo firmware. But instead it launched on top of it like a virtual machine. It just seems wrong.
KOReader is an application that runs on top of the Kobo Linux OS. It replaces most of the functionality of the Kobo GUI but depends on the same hardware interface. Would you think that launching ImageMagick on a Linux box is running a VM? Or perhaps, better, launching an alternative GUI -- ghod knows, Linux has enough choice there.

Quote:
Is it possible to just install Koreader on barebone kobo hardware and to not keep any software from kobo ?
That would be a no. KOReader is not an operating system. Much like asking if you could use the LXQt Desktop on your Linux box without needing the operating system to be installed.

I suppose someone sufficiently dedicated could generate a Linux install for the Kobo hardware that would use KOReader as the default renderer. For the amount of work that would take would take, I can't really see anyone doing that. If nothing else, I personally find that the Kobo software does a better task of rendering epubs which leaves only a few PDF files as candidates for KOReader or Plato.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-18-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos....
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato