Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #91
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
constantia has a weird setup for the numbers. why is it that 0,1,2 are smaller than 3 to 9? in addition, 6 and 8 are lifted up while 3,4,5,7,9 are lowered? this doesn't serve well any time you have to communicate numbers (addresses, phone numbers, monetary amount, etc), and especially in math equations. it's confusing because it may be interpreted as an exponent.

not specific to constantia, but a more perfect font should clearly distinguish 0 (zero) from the letter O/o, the number 1 (one) from the lower case letter l (el), the capital I from the lower case l (el), etc.

update: i just noticed that one of my favorite classic fonts (georgia) has exactly the same weird number setup. constantia is based on georgia?
I believe that's what's known as 'oldstyle figures'. It's a design decision.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #92
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Seems like it only works for some files.

Whats the most condensed and easy to read font for you guys? I liked to use helvetica, trying different fonts and I'm now using ChareInk, Bitter isn't bad either once those two have been bolded to 4.

Nice feature, shame it doesn't work everywhere.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #93
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Bookerly is still the only one I use.I cant seem to adjust to the others
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #94
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am pretty flexible when it comes to fonts, but until this, I was pretty much using Bookerly all the time on Kindle platform, mostly out of habit. Except for OpenDyslexic or Caecilia Condensed, I would be comfortable reading with any of them.

But the fontgates have now opened and I will be experimenting more (for the moment, at least, enamored of Philosopher from Google Fonts).

I think I would like it if one could ‘pin’ a given font (and page setting) to a particular book, so different books could have different settings, allow the (now) global setting to apply to books without ‘pinned’ settings. And while I rarely read in landscape, it seems obvious there should be a separate default for that.

Eventually maybe Themes that you could define and apply to multiple books.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-12-2018 at 10:26 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 PM   #95
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
I sent a number of fonts I like (downloaded from Google Fonts) to the device and they work fine as custom fonts. But custom fonts mean it applies to the whole book, heading and text etc.

Some of the fonts I use are meant for special effects, and I'd like to call them through css for certain texts only, but I css seems to work only with system fonts. Anyone knows how to call them up from css declaration? Otherwise I will embed them the way I always did.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #96
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
I sent a number of fonts I like (downloaded from Google Fonts) to the device and they work fine as custom fonts. But custom fonts mean it applies to the whole book, heading and text etc.

Some of the fonts I use are meant for special effects, and I'd like to call them through css for certain texts only, but I css seems to work only with system fonts. Anyone knows how to call them up from css declaration? Otherwise I will embed them the way I always did.
Not sure if this is going to work for you but quite a bit of discussion about embedding fonts in epub files. One example from a few years back is found at: Where to put userStyle.css? in the Kobo forum. In another thread, a poster stated that if he embedded fonts using the res:/// format, it worked on his jailbroken Kindle after converting epub to Kindle format (I think azw3).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #97
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if this is going to work for you but quite a bit of discussion about embedding fonts in epub files. One example from a few years back is found at: Where to put userStyle.css? in the Kobo forum. In another thread, a poster stated that if he embedded fonts using the res:/// format, it worked on his jailbroken Kindle after converting epub to Kindle format (I think azw3).
No, it doesn't work for me. Or maybe I did it wrong. I prepared an epub, using css similar to the instruction, converted it to azw3 using Calibre, sent to Kindle (with the font already sideloaded). But the book doesn't open in Kindle Paperwhite.

Here is the epub and azw3: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvOnHiMTAGM9hPgxP78e6wfLvb1w8Q
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #98
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
My kindle basic hasn't updated to the new firmware despite being left on charging overnight with the wireless turned on. Is the update avaible for the kindle basic 7th generation?
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #99
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
My kindle basic hasn't updated to the new firmware despite being left on charging overnight with the wireless turned on. Is the update avaible for the kindle basic 7th generation?
Certainly. But the OTA updates are sent in batches over several weeks. You can download and install it yourself, if you don't want to wait - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201605570
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #100
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How did you do it? You need to copy the *.ttf files directly in the fonts folder on your Kindle (no *.zip), and they will show up in custom fonts.

Remember custom fonts do NOT work with mobi files, kf8 or kfx only.
Thanks, I was already trying to install fonts from the experimental browser directly and didn't realize I had to transfer the fonts via usb cable from a computer. It's a shame fonts can't be downloaded directly, maybe a future update will.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #101
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Thanks, I was already trying to install fonts from the experimental browser directly and didn't realize I had to transfer the fonts via usb cable from a computer. It's a shame fonts can't be downloaded directly, maybe a future update will.
Given that it is not an everyday chore to do so, I don't believe it is necessary. Also the experimental browser is not officially supported. It would be a customer support nightmare to add support for the browser - there are too many performance and compatibility issues to explain away.

Maybe, just maybe, there will be a good browser someday that is documented and supported. Nobody thought custom fonts are coming either since undocumented USE_ALT_FONTS has been disabled a long time ago.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
Ok, Ok, this is all real interesting, but what I would like to know, is what is the One Font To Rule Them All that a majority agrees is the best? I wouldn't know where to start looking, but on thw WWW, they say go with what you like. So far I have tried a few suggested here, but I am open to more suggestions, but would really like just USE THIS ONE, IT IS THE BEST. Thanks for your help.
The ONE FONT TO RULE THEM ALL is ChareInk. It’s any awesome font and it really looks good on a Kindle. Even fixes the wide line height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM   #103
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The ONE FONT TO RULE THEM ALL is ChareInk. It’s any awesome font and it really looks good on a Kindle. Even fixes the wide line height.
I agree I just tried it and I too like it a lot
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #104
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I agree I just tried it and I too like it a lot
Well, is there I link to that font anywhere? So far I'm enjoying using generic handwritten cursive fonts which helps my reading flow better than standard block print font. Finished two books this week which is getting my summer reading off to a strong start.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #105
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Well, is there I link to that font anywhere? So far I'm enjoying using generic handwritten cursive fonts which helps my reading flow better than standard block print font. Finished two books this week which is getting my summer reading off to a strong start.
Yes, Chareink is here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

Beautiful font, I use it on both Kindle and Kobo.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote