Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 05:59 PM   #91
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
So you eat but not sleep, I see, I see!
I drink but don't think (I pee, I pee!)
What a pair we would be
on the streets of Paris
eating and drinking all night, mais oui!
A very good bilingual pun. I like it! But shouldn't the second line end with (I wee, I wee!)?

However I see I must learn a little French or quit wearing my beret to the park.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #92
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
perhaps someone should issue some kind of warning, like "surrealist guidance recommended."
There's no more room in title line, but that's what I had in mind when I addended the "unutterable silliness" think to the original title.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #93
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh, that was you then ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #94
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup. I also habitually correct misuse of apostrophes in titles. I correct spelling errors too, but I'm less likely to notice those, owing to my own atrocious spelling (FireFox's spell-checker feature only makes it look like I can spell )

It's one of my few indulgences in the editor/moderator powers.

And no, I don't have access to change user titles (I tried), that's one of the powers reserved to Admins.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #95
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you're like the apostrophe angel ! (or the punctuation police, depending on your perspective i suppose...) someone should make you a (stinking) badge.

a worthy initiative, in any case. i once saw a website whose sole purpose was to repertorie misused apostrophes. people sent them in from all over the world. the unintentional humor is sometimes almost overwhelming.
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #96
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
"Spell-checker". I cringe. Useful to wizards, I suppose. Say it with me, "spelling checker, spelling checker".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you're like the apostrophe angel ! (or the punctuation police, depending on your perspective i suppose...) someone should make you a (stinking) badge.
Nah, just apostrophes: my wife (the English Professor -- literally (pardon the pun)) has thoroughly informed me that I wouldn't know how to use a comma correctly if it bit me on the leg.

I don't need no stinkin' badges!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #98
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
There are many places that I see apostrophes uses, and I find it odd. For example, in the book Eats Shoots & Leaves , the authress claims that the film "Two Weeks Notice" should have an apostrophe 'twixt 'k' & 's'. In my mind, this means that *I* am not telling my employer that I shall leave in two weeks time, but rather that my two weeks are giving their notice. Guess I learned wrong that apostrophes are used to denote possession or those nasty little contractions that really should be outlawed. If I hear one more idiot ask "where's your Cat?" rather than "where Are you?" someone is going to be awash in eldritch horror and will minus a soul.

@Natch: Mr. Moderator Man, how/where do I request that the contents of a thread be published in a format whereby all good members (i.e. English reading ones) may know what is transpiring in said thread? For all we know, they may be planning a Quebecois invasion of Amurrikha.

[Gentle Reader...]

Last edited by Cthulhu; 03-20-2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: forgot the passive Emotification-ignosity
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #99
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Last edited by Cthulhu : Today at 08:16 PM. Reason: forgot the passive Emotification-ignosity

Terrific. Planet Head's reply to such inappropriate verbiage should be lovely. You see, you clearly did not use your spell-checker, Cthulhu. Your emotorficationator was running excessively when you should have just gimbooed someone for the appropriate word to use. So, wait for it now.... For me, I'm off to read my lisajuice and will check back later.

[Gentle Reader: Please forgive my indulgences. I revel in the baiting of others.]
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #100
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I don't need no stinkin' badges!
would you prefer a sweet-smelling one ?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #101
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Spelling Checker. Can no longer abide to label it a spell-checker. Am not a freaking wizard here. No newt's tails or skunk's feet can be found in my prose, no matter how much it shifts into the indigo hue.

Further, have no intention of picking someone else's nose. Even for an evil god, some things are simply too gauche.

On an unrelated note (*gasp!*), is it wrong for someone to attempt mimicking the accent of a foreign tongue? Long away and far away, a shipmate berated me for trying to sound "Too much" like a local. On most of the islands, was asked if I was German. Either they were reacting to the long blonde hair (Oh, COME ON! Blonde is perfectly cromulent!(Okay, as a man I have blond hair, but to rob women of their own adjective is simply wrong)) or that maybe I speak Spanish with a German accent. Since I burned their villages for insulting my Slavic heritage, we shall never know.

Similar-wise, interestingly, there is speaking a language perfectly, and then there is speaking it like a real person does. In Russia, people were puzzled why I would wish to know if an incorrect phrase was a native idiom or a beginner's mistake. Sometime the "to be a better spy" retort got a laugh. Not all ways....

Last edited by Cthulhu; 03-20-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: did not realise that hair colour had different suffixes
Old 03-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #102
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
@Natch: Mr. Moderator Man, how/where do I request that the contents of a thread be published in a format whereby all good members (i.e. English reading ones) may know what is transpiring in said thread? For all we know, they may be planning a Quebecois invasion of Amurrikha.

[Gentle Reader...]
damn ! he's on to us. now we'll have to kill him.

[Gentle Reader...]
Old 03-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #103
Cthulhu
Technologist

Bring it Lady.

Am from Chicago. My friends and I have been ready for years. Those Nike missiles we had along LSD? Not gone, just better hidden. We can still take out Quebec City if the need arises. She is quite a jewel, but she will lie smoldering on the side of the Fleuve is the mighty USA is threatened. You have all ready successfully annexed Minnesota, and we might consider the U.P. a draw.
Aw heck.

54°50' or fight!
54°50' or Fight!

[words to that effect]
Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #104
Cthulhu
Technologist

Am from Chicago. My friends and I have been ready for years. Those Nike missiles we had along LSD? Not gone, just better hidden. We can still take out Quebec City if the need arises. She is quite a jewel, but she will lie smoldering on the side of the Fleuve if the mighty USA is threatened. You have all ready successfully annexed Minnesota, and we might consider the U.P. a draw.
Aw heck.

54°50' or fight!
54°50' or Fight!

[words to that effect]
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #105
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
"Two weeks' notice" is correct. The notice belongs indeed to the weeks, just as a month of Sundays would be that month's Sundays.

Then again, it would be depend on the usage, and one could be forgiven I think, for thinking of "two weeks" as an adjective modifying the noun, "notice". What kind of notice? The "two-weeks" kind. The author compares "one month's notice", and I'm not sure that's a canonical example, as I would likely say "one-month notice", myself.

What trips me up most often is when to hyphenate and when not to, as illustrated by the above ambivalence.

For the rest... try http://translate.google.com.

Would you believe they're only talking about the weather?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, emotifaction, emotifactor, mozzle, mozzle of mozzle, natch's spleen, taylor514ce, unutterable silliness