Notices

Old 09-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #91
sharkcow
Enthusiast
sharkcow has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
This may be picky, but I wish they had at least Android 4.2, like the C67 does.
me too. I'm pretty sure those back-button apps would work if it had 4.2 (they work on my phone with 4.2.2). In the meantime, I've even got stuck without back capability in the original settings menu of the reader! So you don't even need to install additional apps to run into that problem. I sure think that cries for a software update...
sharkcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #92
sharkcow
Enthusiast

more bad news: I just tried a usb soundcard on the kepler pro (a solution advertised on the web for some kindles), which is also not recognized. So the verdict is: there is no sound output possible from this device. The only hope remaining (as for the back button problem) would be a software update. A spark of hope remains as some indications exist that the existing android has some sound system remnants left (volume controls, audio binding of bt devices)...

sharkcow
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #93
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
It looks to me that Onyx is positioning the Kepler Pro to be more of a pure eReader than their other products. The KP may still run Android, but it seems to be less versatile than the C67ML Carta 2. No audio capability, for one thing, which the C67 has. This could also be a trial balloon on Onyx's part - to see how this concept of an Android eInk eReader sells and is received. The lack of a back button is a real handicap for the KP. A firmware update could fix that. But they'd need to do some hardware modifications (KP2, anyone?) to remedy the lack of audio capability. Till then, might the C67ML Carta 2 be the better buy if you want 300dpi, audio and a back button?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #94
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
It looks to me that Onyx is positioning the Kepler Pro to be more of a pure eReader than their other products. The KP may still run Android, but it seems to be less versatile than the C67ML Carta 2. No audio capability, for one thing, which the C67 has. This could also be a trial balloon on Onyx's part - to see how this concept of an Android eInk eReader sells and is received. The lack of a back button is a real handicap for the KP. A firmware update could fix that. But they'd need to do some hardware modifications (KP2, anyone?) to remedy the lack of audio capability. Till then, might the C67ML Carta 2 be the better buy if you want 300dpi, audio and a back button?
Given that the specs they originally posted (back in April) suggested that the K-Pro would support MP3 and WAV formats via an "External Bluetooth headset", a feature that has since been deleted from the specs, I suspect that it's more likely to be a case of them originally hoping that they could get this to work, but discovering that there was some incompatibility, rather than an intentional limitation of the K-Pro.

Between this, the Back-button problem, and the repeated postponements of its release, I'm starting to see the K-Pro as a less-than-well-thought-out prototype, rather than as a mature product. I can live without audio, I don't think I can live without the back button however.

The problem being that the K-Pro's only real competitor as a 300ppi flush-bezel Android eInk eReader (which is what I'm wanting to upgrade to) is the Boyue T63 (currently aka the JDRead), which is suffering similar teething problems due to an apparent lack of an official multi-lingual release.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:39 AM   #95
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Between this, the Back-button problem, and the repeated postponements of its release, I'm starting to see the K-Pro as a less-than-well-thought-out prototype, rather than as a mature product. I can live without audio, I don't think I can live without the back button however.
Certainly the initial postings on this product suggest it has been released before it is ready - and that was about 4 months later than Onyx were originally marketing as its release date.

A shame, and it has dropped off my "temptations" list for the present.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #96
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem being that the K-Pro's only real competitor as a 300ppi flush-bezel Android eInk eReader (which is what I'm wanting to upgrade to) is the Boyue T63 (currently aka the JDRead), which is suffering similar teething problems due to an apparent lack of an official multi-lingual release.
The people at Banggood said that they would have the T63 set up with English for their English customers. Did they ever answer your questions about this? From what I've seen, the T63 only "comes" in Chinese!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #97
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Certainly the initial postings on this product suggest it has been released before it is ready - and that was about 4 months later than Onyx were originally marketing as its release date.

A shame, and it has dropped off my "temptations" list for the present.
Mine, too. I'm pretty disappointed - my dream reader has the specs and options of my Kobo H2O, but smaller and with side page turn buttons - the Kepler Pro seemed to be my dream reader on paper.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #98
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The people at Banggood said that they would have the T63 set up with English for their English customers. Did they ever answer your questions about this? From what I've seen, the T63 only "comes" in Chinese!
Nope. Nothing after several days and posting the question first as a followup to the original 'English' question and then (after it had been ignored whilst another, independent, question had), as a new 'thread'.

ADDENDUM: They did finally get back to me, claiming an (unspecified) "special version" of the firmware. I have a query in with Boyue as to whether this is an official/supported version.

Last edited by Hrafn; 10-21-2016 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 10-17-2016, 05:24 AM   #99
Hrafn
Fanatic

Exclamation Kepler Pro Back-Button Firmware Upgrade!

Finally got the following response from Onyx Box on the Back-Button issue:
Quote:
I'm sorry for my delay in answer.As your question

Please download this upgrade patch(Kepler Pro V1.7.5)

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...q9XMNy2Vf4Eqak
Would one of our Kepler Pro owners be interested in trying this out, and reporting back to us?
Old 10-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #100
sharkcow
Enthusiast

Quote:
Finally got the following response from Onyx Box on the Back-Button issue:

Would one of our Kepler Pro owners be interested in trying this out, and reporting back to us?
Hey, thanks a million for that! Just installed it; I see the following differences:
build number is now 2016-10-09_16-37_1.7.5_99d1fd9
kernel version 3.0.35 jenkins@HP-Z220-SFF-Workstation #1 (Sun Oct 9 16:40:53 HKT 2016)

I hadn't noticed before, but the previous build number was labelled "1.7.5_rc1", so I guess this is the first real release...

Pressing the previous page button long now acts as back function. Previously, this called the current context menu. This is a great improvement for me.

best,
sharkcow
Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #101
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcow View Post
Hey, thanks a million for that! Just installed it; I see the following differences:
build number is now 2016-10-09_16-37_1.7.5_99d1fd9
kernel version 3.0.35 jenkins@HP-Z220-SFF-Workstation #1 (Sun Oct 9 16:40:53 HKT 2016)

I hadn't noticed before, but the previous build number was labelled "1.7.5_rc1", so I guess this is the first real release...

Pressing the previous page button long now acts as back function. Previously, this called the current context menu. This is a great improvement for me.

best,
sharkcow
Great!
Now I just need a place that will ship me one.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #102
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcow View Post

It makes sense that it might have been still in late beta, as the reader still hasn't been 'officially' released (only available from Netherlands dealer, and not even featured on their front page). I suspect from the long delay between my first raising the question, and their response to it, that they may have had to go away and write the feature into the code because I had pointed out that Android specs require it.

Given this improvement, and a report of a buyer of a purportedly 'multi-lingual' Boyue T63 having to return it due to inability to get any multi-lingual firmware working on it, it looks like the K-Pro is now locked in as my next eReader. I think however I'll wait the extra few weeks for the official release (last mentioned by them as being "October-November") and buy one direct off Onyx rather than picking up a late-beta out of the Netherlands.

What do long presses of the next page button do? And does a short press of the power button call 'sleep' mode (fairly common on both Android tablets, and pre-Android eReaders)? These behaviours are, unfortunately, not covered in the manual.

Last edited by Hrafn; 10-21-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #103
sharkcow
Enthusiast

audio!

big news: on the off chance, I reinstalled an audio player today after the upgrade to the latest firmware 1.7.5 yesterday - and I almost couldn't believe it, but BLUETOOTH AUDIO WORKS!

so go get one!

Long press on the next page button refreshes the screen (as on C67 with the home button), I find that very useful.
Short press on the power button obviously turns off the device (screen saver shows), audio continues however.

now completely happy sharkcow
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #104
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
So, anyone knows if this is officially released or not? I can't find it in any European stores. Where did you get yours, people of this thread?
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #105
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacoob View Post
So, anyone knows if this is officially released or not? I can't find it in any European stores. Where did you get yours, people of this thread?
It isn't "officially" released yet, but a store in the Netherlands has it now:

http://www.e-readerweb.nl/index.php?...=59994&lang=NL