Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #91
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib
Slightly OT: I own 10 or so original typescripts (NOT carbon copes!) of stories that he published during the late 1950s, two or three of them written under a pseudonym. They're currently in a climate controlled storage in the U.S along with the rest of my book collection, which is why I can't remember the exact number of typescripts that I own by him.
That is so cool. Good writer. One of my lifetime top ten books was written by him: Dying Inside. That story had a great impact on me when I was young.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-29-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: I was the one who posted the original of that quote.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #92
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreiuta View Post
I did a quick search but I couldn't find any post about this. Sorry if I missed it.

Huge sale on ebooks published by Subterranean Press here. All discounted titles between $0.99 and $2.99. Click on a book to find the individual links to Amazon, B&N and Kobo.
Is there any way to do an advanced search here? It's frustrating to search for an author and get all kinds of paper books as well. I've given up twice now.
Advert
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #93
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
That is so cool. Good writer. One of my lifetime top ten books was written by him: Dying Inside. That story had a great impact on me when I was young.
Same .
Old 09-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #94
Falchetta
Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.Falchetta has never been to obedience school.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Ipad with Kobo and Kindle apps
was browsing and looks like The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan is currently $2.99 at both Amazon.ca and Kobo, not sure how long it might last.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #95
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
... and I believe Subterranean Press has US rights only, so if you're not in the US you're stuck with the higher priced outlets.
Strangely Amazon UK has 28 Kindle books from Subterranean Press but I can't buy these from the store either.

Example: You're Not Fooling Anyone When You Take Your Laptop to a Coffee Shop: Scalzi on Writing by John Scalzi
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #96
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
That's extremely cool, Dr. Drib. Original typescripts are just fascinating and sort of awe-inspiring to look at. I happened to be at the Campbell Awards Ceremony the year KU acquired Theodore Sturgeon's papers, and they had a night with a number of them on display (a letter of notes on the script for Amok Time, some correspondence with Asimov, early exchanges about Scientology). Fascinating stuff.

I was really excited when the Silverberg collected stories started getting released. That's great that you're keeping those manuscripts so well. What a great acquisition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottken View Post
DR. Drib:

I've always enjoyed Robert Silverberg's writing, especially during his 'growth' period in the late 60s and early 70s.

Slightly OT: I own 10 or so original typescripts (NOT carbon copes!) of stories that he published during the late 1950s, two or three of them written under a pseudonym. They're currently in a climate controlled storage in the U.S along with the rest of my book collection, which is why I can't remember the exact number of typescripts that I own by him.

He doesn't get the recognition that is his due, in my opinion.

His Majipoor series of titles make for some wonderful reading.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #97
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It's $2.99 on sale https://gumroad.com/l/rGPy

From what I can see the sale is only when buying through the publisher and the GumRoad outlet they use.
Does anyone know what format Gumroad uses? Will I need to use ADE to download an ePub? I've looked & looked and cannot figure out the format, just "you will receive 2 files".
Old 09-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #98
Brendan Moody
Groupie
Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Fire HD 8.9 4G LTE, LG Ultimate 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Does anyone know what format Gumroad uses? Will I need to use ADE to download an ePub? I've looked & looked and cannot figure out the format, just "you will receive 2 files".
For Subterranean Press titles, Gumroad delivers mobi and epub files that you can download directly. I believe both are DRM-free. They also have a "send to device" feature if you create a Gumroad account, but I couldn't get it to work with my Kindle (admittedly I didn't try very hard).
Old 10-01-2014, 03:41 AM   #99
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Free on iTunes - The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

https://itunes.apple.com/book/id376229549
Old 10-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #100
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Our-Shad...dp/B008JVFX7W/

Voice of Our Shadow by Jonathan Carroll
1.99$

Quote:
For Joe Lennox, successful young writer, Vienna provides a refuge from the tragedy of his brother's death, until he starts up a friendship with the eccentric India Tate and her magician husband Paul. Gradually Joe falls in love with India, but Paul finds out - before he suddenly drops dread. And now Joe has two deaths on his conscience and another voice calling from beyond the grave ...
First published in 1983.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #101
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Voice-Our-Shad...dp/B008JVFX7W/

1.99$

First published in 1983.

Jonathan Carroll is the author of the famous fantasy, "The Land of Laughs."

Highly recommended.

There's a wonderful review of another book by him, by writer Gary K. Wolfe on Amazon, located here:

http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Who-Marr...nathan+carroll

That review above originally appeared in Locus Magazine.

Please check out this important writer. He's a literary writer who happens to write delicate fantasies on the order of John Collier.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-01-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #102
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free from the author via KDP Select @ Amazon:

A Man and His God by Janet Morris (ISFDB, Wikipedia), a story in her The Sacred Band of Stepsons (Wikipedia) sub-series within the popular "Thieves' World" shared world anthology series (Wikipedia), which originally appeared in 1981 in the Shadows of Sanctuary volume from Ace Books and has been reprinted several times since in assorted anthologies, according to its ISFDB entry.

This seems to be a slightly revised edition from the original, and is also apparently part of a ground-breaking depiction of LGBT issues in popularly-available widely-distributed mainstream fantasy.

An immortalized cavalry commander joins forces with the high-priest of the god of war.... Where myth meets legend, two men kiss and Tempus' world changes forever. Meet and mourn the Slaughter Priest in "A Man and His God." In this canonical short novel, the Sacred Band begins when Abarsis, Slaughter Priest, brings his Sacred Band to Tempus and dies in his arms.

In this pivotal story, the Sacred Band is formed from love and death....

This landmark short novel contains what may be the first male/male kiss in modern fantasy, and was widely reprinted, after appearing in somewhat different form in Thieves' World(r), in the Science Fiction Book Club, two Issac Asimov collections, and the Baen Book "Tempus" by Janet Morris.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #103
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
1.99$
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Jonathan Carroll is the author of the famous fantasy, "The Land of Laughs."

Highly recommended.

Please check out this important writer. He's a literary writer who happens to write delicate fantasies on the order of John Collier.
Thanks for the heads-up and the recommend. Open Road Media books are couponable, so I went and picked this up @ Kobo.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #104
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
The Alien Years by Robert Silverberg $1.99 by Open Roads.

http://www.openroadmedia.com/scaryre...ler-and-horror

And then search for Silverberg.

Or
http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Years-Ro...dp/B00J90F458/
For direct at Amazon.

Greg
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #105
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
The Phoenix Pick free book of the month for October is The Earth is all that Lasts by Catherine Wells.

Quote:
Welcome to the North American continent after a series of catastrophes, including famine, plague and floods, have destroyed almost all of humanity.

Descendants of the survivors (those who stayed) have created a tribal society in the depopulated American West which lives side by side with an enclave of scientists.

But unknown to all, a spaceship is coming: one with humans on board who care little for the new tribal customs and ways of life. Financed by an influential family settled away from Earth, Homeward Bound is an exploratory ship sent back to see what has become of the home planet, and how best it can be used to further the aims of certain vested interests.

"Deserves to be more widely read" -SFSite (review written before Phoenix Pick reprinted the book).
There's two other deals, Deal 1 includes the free book + the other two books in the Coconino Trilogy, which includes Children of the Earth and The Earth Saver for $4.99. Deal 2 adds Mother Grimm in as well for $5.99. All books are by Catherine Wells. Summaries below:

Quote:
The Children of the Earth

Almost all of humanity has been destroyed on the North American continent by a series of catastrophes, including famine, plague, and floods.

Descendants of the survivors (those who stayed) created a tribal society in the American West which lives side by side with an enclave of scientists.

Earth has kept its rebirth a secret for some time, but when colonists throughout the stars begin to long for contact with the mother world, violence and greed could once again threaten the planet.

The Earth Saver

Tana Winthrop has longed to travel to Earth. When she is finally able to do so using new technologies she discovers the secret of the survivors living on Earth. But in doing so, Tana has also re-ignited the threat of extinction for those very survivors.

As word of her discovery spreads, she must race against time to save the newly vibrant Earth from the emerging threat and the only way to so is to enlist the help of a legendary hero who has been dead for over two hundred years.

Mother Grimm

Twila Grimm has lived her whole life inside the sterile limits of the Biodome, an isolated domed oasis in the middle of a ravaged Earth.

The outside is world of mystery and disease: where those infected by the deadly CM virus are sent to die. This is a land of disease and death; of warring tribes and half crazed factions that live on the edge of sanity.

But the outside is also where Twila Grimm’s destiny lies. For she is much more than what she appears, and the secrets about her own origins may prove to be the world’s salvation or its ultimate destruction.
Closed Thread