Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #91
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm open to any suggestions people have.
How about:

Let's be Meta: Books about Books

or

How Meta is That? Books about Books

ETA: I've updated the second post with the list of themes and while it says official, it's all still tentative. Tweak, improve, change as you will.

(It might be nice to finalize it by the end of May, so we go into June able to look to the next round.)

Last edited by issybird; 05-07-2019 at 12:07 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #92
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Wonder if the first/last theme could be combined in one vote for two months' reading choices--each nomination would be a pair of books, and we'd read the first one one month, then the last one the next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I think that could be really interesting.
I do too! It’s a neat idea, and could generate interesting discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I'm open to any suggestions people have.
Quote:
As it was written: Books about books

or

And so it was written: Books about books

(Not perfect but maybe closish?)
I like them both. You could also play with something like “Written Right: Books About Books”. Or “Right Write: Books about Books”

Last edited by Victoria; 05-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #93
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about:

Let's be Meta: Books about Books

or

How Meta is That? Books about Books

ETA: I've updated the second post with the list of themes and while it says official, it's all still tentative. Tweak, improve, change as you will.

(It might be nice to finalize it by the end of May, so we go into June able to look to the next round.)
What fun - these are great
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM   #94
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Wonder if the first/last theme could be combined in one vote for two months' reading choices--each nomination would be a pair of books, and we'd read the first one one month, then the last one the next month.
I must confess that I really don’t like this idea for “my” theme. Of course it could well work out that people nominate books by the same author in both themes, but I would rather the two themes were separate (and separated by a few months preferably); not locked together like this. It seems too prescriptive to me, and narrows the possible interpretations too much.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #95
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
[...]
[...]
Thinking about mine (Better Together: co-written) and some of the comments... maybe the minor refinement of:

Better Together: Collaborations

might be better? Removing "co-written" hopefully makes it clearer that I don't really care how the participants collaborated (original/translation, text/drawing, text/text whatever) ... I guess it also leaves open the interpretation that people may choose a character collaboration, which may not be what I wanted, but we can't always get what we want, and "collaboration" is still a fairly strong suggestion of the intent.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #96
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Thinking about mine (Better Together: co-written) and some of the comments... maybe the minor refinement of:

Better Together: Collaborations

might be better? Removing "co-written" hopefully makes it clearer that I don't really care how the participants collaborated (original/translation, text/drawing, text/text whatever) ... I guess it also leaves open the interpretation that people may choose a character collaboration, which may not be what I wanted, but we can't always get what we want, and "collaboration" is still a fairly strong suggestion of the intent.
I dunno--I'm not seeing a lot of practical difference between Better Together: Collaborations and It Takes Two to Tango: Intense Connections.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 AM   #97
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dunno--I'm not seeing a lot of practical difference between Better Together: Collaborations and It Takes Two to Tango: Intense Connections.
So do you think "co-written" - being more explicitly about the creators - is better (more distinct)? Or is it equally bad either way?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #98
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I like collaborators -- in the spirit of wildly mis-queued book suggestions, I'm immediately thinking of the Reginald Hill book, The Collaborators. Not what you had in mind. But the beauty of themes.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:44 AM   #99
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
So do you think "co-written" - being more explicitly about the creators - is better (more distinct)? Or is it equally bad either way?
I think "co-written" is indeed more distinct, but the more I look at these two suggestions, the more they seem to overlap. A writing collaboration could surely be considered an intense connection.

Oops, I just looked back through the thread and noticed that I already raised this issue re both themes being about duos. So I won't rehash.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 AM   #100
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I like collaborators -- in the spirit of wildly mis-queued book suggestions, I'm immediately thinking of the Reginald Hill book, The Collaborators. Not what you had in mind. But the beauty of themes.
Which is fine except that it proves Catlady's point, such an interpretation is going to make both themes the same.

Quote:
I think "co-written" is indeed more distinct, but the more I look at these two suggestions, the more they seem to overlap. A writing collaboration could surely be considered an intense connection.

Oops, I just looked back through the thread and noticed that I already raised this issue re both themes being about duos. So I won't rehash.
But I think I see your (and others) point a bit better now. The intent is different, but our super-flexible interpretation of themes means that intent goes out the window and does indeed make these two effectively the same. I did have another idea the other day, now I just have to remember what it was...
Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 AM   #101
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do like both of them, but I too see them as very similar. So if you did have another brainwave, gmw, that could be the best solution.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #102
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

I remember now. The other idea I had was about books that I just want to talk about because I felt as if I missed something; that I didn't get the author's point.

I recently read a science-fiction book called The Great Wheel by Ian R. MacLeod. I really like his writing, and I liked the setting and the characters, but at the end of it I felt as if I'd like to talk to others who had read the story in order to really understand it. I assume I am not the only one who occasionally hits a book that feels like something that needs to be talked about. (Incidentally, the novella that originally inspired my "co-written" idea also falls under this heading.) So all I need is a way to phrase it. Some initial ideas for theme phrases include...

Help me understand: I didn't get it

Puzzlers: Help me understand

Better options would be welcomed.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 AM   #103
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Puzzlers: What's it all about?

It could be fun.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'd like to see this flipped and have Puzzlers come after the colon. It would be more in line with our typical style.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #105
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Okay, so what about:

What does it mean: Puzzlers

I'm tempted to borrow from Shrek:

Books like onions: Layers