Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #91
Zaragon
Zaragon began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Just to check, are you aware of Baen, who have a 'Free library' where you can get a free introduction to many of their Authors and even for the commercial books, are available in multiple DRM-free formats (including Sony LRF)?

As a keen SF reader, that's where the majority of my eBook reading's come from!
gwynevans. Thanks, yes I was aware of the Baen library and where they have a book that I want to buy I tend to buy it there because I know I can redownload it in other format if I change my reader without needing to convert it mayself. And of course I love the lack of DRM.
Zaragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #92
Minda
Minda began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Just curious if there is any more information on a Sony site redesign that would allow us Mac fans to buy our books from Sony?

I have purchased 2 pbooks a week in the past 3 months, and I would have purchased them from Sony, but 3 months ago the PC I was using *just* for the Sony Reader died.

This silly issue is about to push me into the waiting arms of Amazon.
Minda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #93
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Sadly, Sony seems pretty uninterested in the MacUser demographic. They all but told us during the last conference call they gave us (about the 700's release) that there would be no Mac support this go-round either. Maybe next time, but I wouldn't suggest holding your breath.

And yes, I agree: it's dumb to not do something that's patently so straightforward.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #94
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Sadly, Sony seems pretty uninterested in the MacUser demographic. They all but told us during the last conference call they gave us (about the 700's release) that there would be no Mac support this go-round either. Maybe next time, but I wouldn't suggest holding your breath.

And yes, I agree: it's dumb to not do something that's patently so straightforward.
It does seem quiet short sighted.

I wonder if Adobe could develop a version of DE for Os X which could authorise the reader for ePub? or is the Sony reader an integral part of that process?

If they could get this , there probably wouldn't be as big a demand for Mac support for the Sony store.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #95
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I wonder if Adobe could develop a version of DE for Os X which could authorise the reader for ePub? or is the Sony reader an integral part of that process?
They use a DLL provided by Sony to talk to the Reader. That DLL works only on Windows (32-bit only to boot).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #96
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
They use a DLL provided by Sony to talk to the Reader. That DLL works only on Windows (32-bit only to boot).
That too bad, however Adobe could provide a method to at least authorize a Sony Reader to accept ePUB and DRM PDF eBooks. That would be a good first step. After that the user could simply drag the files to their reader via the mounted file system.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #97
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That too bad, however Adobe could provide a method to at least authorize a Sony Reader to accept ePUB and DRM PDF eBooks. That would be a good first step. After that the user could simply drag the files to their reader via the mounted file system.

Dale
Just use Calibre and get your ebooks from where ever you like (except sony).
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #98
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
Just use Calibre and get your ebooks from where ever you like (except sony).
Except no DRM books at all from any source.

Dale
Old 10-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #99
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I said, they can only communicate with the Reader using a DLL from Sony. That includes authorization.
BTW, you can authorize the Reader once on Windows and then buy and copy the books on Mac.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #100
EricWiz
EricWiz has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505
This is an interesting thread as one that is planning on buying a 505 in a week or two. SO, if I read this right, I will need to auth the device but then I can buy DRM and non-DRM from any source and just copy the files to the device correct?

I am currently using mobipocket on a palm and buy most of my books from baen. The only difference I expect is to have to donwload the lrf instead of the mobi format. But, on the occasion that I buy a bestseller I don't want to be forced to buy through sony.

Eric
EricWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #101
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As I said, they can only communicate with the Reader using a DLL from Sony. That includes authorization.
BTW, you can authorize the Reader once on Windows and then buy and copy the books on Mac.
Are you saying there is no manual way to authorize the Reader? Does it have to be done via a DLL connection?

Dale
Old 10-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #102
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Are you saying there is no manual way to authorize the Reader? Does it have to be done via a DLL connection?
I'm not sure what you mean by "manual way" but yes, currently you can only authorize the Reader for Digital Editions on Windows (32-bit) with eBook Library installed (the latter provides the communication DLL for ADE).
Old 10-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #103
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "manual way" but yes, currently you can only authorize the Reader for Digital Editions on Windows (32-bit) with eBook Library installed (the latter provides the communication DLL for ADE).
So... we need to get all the Mac and Linux using Sony Reader owners to report this lack to Sony as a bug!

While it would be nice if Sony would provide the necessary library for Macs and for Linux, the real need is for there to be some work-around that is hardware and OS independent. For example, entering the SERIAL NUMBER of the device on a web page someplace, and having that web page (presumably controlled by either Sony and/or Adobe) accomplish the necessary authorization.

The requirement to involve Sony's software (in combination with their lack of support for non-Win32 computers) is really inexcusable.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #104
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Except no DRM books at all from any source.

Dale
It is true that Calibre does not support DRM-full eBooks. But it's perfectly happy with books that were originally purchased with DRM that has subsequently been removed.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #105
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I understand that is the way it works today. But like Mobipocket discussion we had in another forum there is an automatic way but then there is a manual way to enter the data yourself. I am asking it the automatic way could be the only way that ADE could work, not how it works now. You stated or implied that there is no successful way it could be done by the guys who designed the thing unless you have a DLL from Sony. I find that difficult to believe but perhaps you are right, either for technical reasons that I don't know about or perhaps a license reason from Sony that I don't know about.

Dale