Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #91
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
kindlekitten, I have to ask, do you get a commission from Oberon? If you don't you really should complain, I bet you have sold more covers for them than their website

What I wanted to know was, how rigid are the Oberon covers, do they stop the Kindle from being bent or twisted? I assume the back cover is rigid, but the front isn't?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #92
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
kindlekitten, I have to ask, do you get a commission from Oberon? If you don't you really should complain, I bet you have sold more covers for them than their website

What I wanted to know was, how rigid are the Oberon covers, do they stop the Kindle from being bent or twisted? I assume the back cover is rigid, but the front isn't?
no, I have absolutely no connection with them at all. the back and front covers are the same thickness. it is REALLY thick good quality leather. I can't imagine what the pound pressure would have to be to twist or bend one of them. I've skied with them in my backpack and didn't think twice about them being vulnerable
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #93
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Ah ok, thanks, I'll have another look at their website.

Cheers
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #94
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Hi all, a question of my own.
I got the following for my kindle 3 (it is a bit bigger than the kindle 3 but it's great).
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neopren...4157823&sr=1-2

Now i want to have a cover (and not a case), but I really can't get myself to pay 25$ and more on a cover. Any suggestions maybe?
Thanks!
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #95
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I think there were a couple of inexpensive covers posted towards the top of the thread, other than that, all I can say is try to make one
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #96
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I have the same kind of leather cover Kindlekitten has and it offers a good protection, I find. I'm always very careful with my things, but I did let is slip out of my hand once and---no harm done.

It doesn't matter what kind of cover you have, but a Kindle needs one-----it has a glass screen, that can and will break when pressured or fallen. Why spend over 100 dollars for an ereader and not a few bucks for a good protection?

It doesn't have to be expensive, but must offer good protection. My cover has some rigid plastic sheets in it for extra protection, as well as soft wool to protect the screen.
Go and look on the webside of the makers of covers and just try to copy some covers in your own home-made style and design, but with the same idea of protection. You can make your own or look what kind of money you have to spare or just order one.

Or if you saved long and hard (as I did) or had a birthday recently (as I had), well....
But take care of that Kindle and screen; it's worth it.

Last edited by desertblues; 01-04-2011 at 01:00 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #97
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I have no complaints about my Oberon cover, but I rather like the looks of the Eco-nique hemp covers made by Tuff-Luv, too: http://www.amazon.com/Eco-nique-natu.../dp/B003ZUXVSK

Holly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51mhk4oZKzL.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	64087  
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #98
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
It's pretty unique in the market of covers, and owners enjoy mentioning it; likely for good reason. There's people here who have photos of Oberon in their signature.

I just came across what appears to be a new cover from a company called Incipio. I think it's their first such book-style cover, and just from the looks of it I was really impressed with its simplicity and function. Closure strap, no pockets, simple colors and a base mounting system. Dumb name, though.
Incipio Amazon Kindle Kaddy
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #99
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post

I just came across what appears to be a new cover from a company called Incipio. I think it's their first such book-style cover, and just from the looks of it I was really impressed with its simplicity and function. Closure strap, no pockets, simple colors and a base mounting system. Dumb name, though.
Incipio Amazon Kindle Kaddy
Oooh, that does look nice. Thanks for letting us know !
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #100
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I have been asked to repost a reply I made in another thread to this sticky thread.

The cases I bought (and returned) are the Marware Eco-Flip and the JAVOEdge MiMo Book Case. The booklights are the Pathway (Target) and the Might Bright TravelFlex.

FWIW, I've only had my K3 for a few weeks... but I've gone through 2 cases and 2 lights... and have returned them all for the lighted Kindle cover.

Both cases that I tried were very well made and did the job. But my complaint was that the way the K3 fit into the cases caused a problem for me getting to the right arrow bar. Any case made this way could/may have the same issue and both my cases (from different mfgs) had the same issue. Here's a pic to show what I mean:

Maybe my thumb is too big. But I always had to be careful hitting that right arrow bar because the case material intruded just enough to be in the way.

And the light issue: I bought the Pathway light from Target and the Mighty Bright TravelFlex... and returned them both. The Pathway was too large and clunky for my tastes and I couldn't close the case cover with it on. It was always an issue of putting on and taking off the light. I just don't want to dink around with a bunch of gear (I take my K3 all over the place with me).

The TravelFlex could have worked, but recognizing that I was going to replace both cases anyway, I figured I might as well get a case that provided no intrusions on the face and had a light, all in one package. And while I don't often need a light, those few times when I do it sure would be nice to have it available if I remember to bring the light along. With it built into the cover like the lighted Kindle cover, I have it all in one nice and neat package.

So the lighted Kindle cover is now on its way to me.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #101
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

thanks! karma! ;o)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #102
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Will K3 unlighted cover work with anything else?

Amazon has recently replaced both my and my wife's Kindle 3 unlighted leather covers. They gave us both a full refund and $30 credit to boot; enough to buy us each the lighted version. Awesome customer support Amazon!

Now I'm curious about what the unlighted covers can be used for. Several people have offered to purchase mine for shipping cost and a couple of buck for my trouble and that appeals to me because I hate the thought of these things taking up room in a land-fill somewhere if someone can put them to use but I'm reluctant to send someone something that may cause them the same problems that we experienced. Is this cover usable with any previous version of the Kindle without experiencing any negative issues or would I be better off just throwing these away?

Thanks to anyone who can reply.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #103
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

the hooks on the side of the K3 are unique to the K3. it won't line up with the K2 and I do not know if any other device has similar slots in them
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #104
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Now I'm curious about what the unlighted covers can be used for. Several people have offered to purchase mine for shipping cost and a couple of buck for my trouble and that appeals to me because I hate the thought of these things taking up room in a land-fill somewhere if someone can put them to use but I'm reluctant to send someone something that may cause them the same problems that we experienced. Is this cover usable with any previous version of the Kindle without experiencing any negative issues or would I be better off just throwing these away?

Thanks to anyone who can reply.
Aside from the obvious problem (which I experienced as well), did you like the covers? I wouldn't throw them away. There may be an easy fix. Actually I'm conducting an experiment at the moment, but I did it on a lark and it's too soon to know if it works.

I'd at least keep them around for craft material or who knows what. Coasters, ha.

In other news. M-Edge is going to release a "design your own" cover, where you can choose surface colors or an image. http://www.medgestore.com/customize/

Last edited by OtterBooks; 01-06-2011 at 09:33 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #105
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Aside from the obvious problem (which I experienced as well), did you like the covers? I wouldn't throw them away. There may be an easy fix. Actually I'm conducting an experiment at the moment, but I did it on a lark and it's too soon to know if it works.
Yes, we both loved our covers. And now we love our new lighted covers that we were able to get with the credit they gave us.

My wife read several posts of people coating the hooks with fingernail polish or something similar and the problem went away. She's decided to put a couple of thick coats of cleaer fingernail polish on the hooks of our covers and set them up in her closet as spares for later. It's probably a pretty good idea. She's always been the brains of our operation!

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote