Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2023, 01:29 AM   #91
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Perhaps we shall see a future NickelMenu update allowing us to access this feature on the lowly Libra and Clara.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:45 AM   #92
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Meh. I've used Dropbox on my Sage perhaps a handful of times in the beginning, when it was still new and interesting. Not for a long while now. I never bothered to set it up on my Libra.

As to Google Drive... not interested at all.

Besides, I want to keep my ereaders in the airplane mode most of the time. I want no unexpected firmware updates sprung on me unless I have time to redo the patching.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2023, 02:31 AM   #93
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't you use the patch to always ask for update confirmation to prevent that?
Old 06-30-2023, 02:39 AM   #94
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Perhaps we shall see a future NickelMenu update allowing us to access this feature on the lowly Libra and Clara.
Would it even be included in the firmware files for the readers?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:55 AM   #95
Aleron Ives
Wizard

It's likely, since Dropbox is. It's simpler from a development perspective to have the same firmware for every device and turn options on and off in configuration files.
Advert
Old 06-30-2023, 03:33 AM   #96
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Can't you use the patch to always ask for update confirmation to prevent that?
Yes, and I do use that, but just in case. Who knows, my Kobo might decide to update on its own, when not in use or something.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:13 AM   #97
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I needed an Internet connection to access the Dropbox servers. That’s not quite what I want. Even with Google Fiber, there was always a delay when I opened my WIP.
I played with google drive last night. It downloads the documents to the kobo, although possibly not automatically, and unlike other methods of side loading, I can't delete documents either from the device or google drive. (Obviously, I can delete the document from a computer and then it disappears from the device on next sync.)

I can however delete the document from the device using calibre (it shows up in device view) and then it shows ion the device as not downloaded yet.

Last edited by compurandom; 06-30-2023 at 07:33 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:54 AM   #98
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Firmware 4.37.21533

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I played with google drive last night. It downloads the documents to the kobo, although possibly not automatically, and unlike other methods of side loading, I can't delete documents either from the device or google drive. (Obviously, I can delete the document from a computer and then it disappears from the device on next sync.)
Every time you sync your device with Kobo, it’ll automatically update Dropbox and My Google Drive. My Google Drive is just access to your Rakuten Kobo folder on Google Drive. You can’t do any file management. It’s not a full fledged part of the Google Docs suite. Read only.

Tap on a book and it downloads to your Kobo. You can remove the book from your Kobo to reclaim space, but to remove it from your My Google Drive listing, you’ll need to use a desktop computer or a Google Drive app on iOS or Android.

I forgot to mention earlier that aside from My Google Drive, you can access the Drive through a filter in My Books, just like Dropbox.http://www.cootey.com/pix/2023/june30-mygoogledrive.jpg
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:39 AM   #99
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Meh. I've used Dropbox on my Sage perhaps a handful of times in the beginning, when it was still new and interesting. Not for a long while now. I never bothered to set it up on my Libra.

As to Google Drive... not interested at all.

Besides, I want to keep my ereaders in the airplane mode most of the time. I want no unexpected firmware updates sprung on me unless I have time to redo the patching.
Airplane Mode Good, Wifi On Bad to misquote Animal Farm

I too keep wifi off, to conserve battery life and (mainly) to prevent outside interference

Incidentally, I'm on version 4.35.20400 and happy with it.
Is there any cogent reason for me to consider changing to this new one please?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:31 PM   #100
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
n=1, but the battery drain seems less (Kobo Libra2). 3% after 3-4 days.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:32 PM   #101
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Incidentally, I'm on version 4.35.20400 and happy with it.
Is there any cogent reason for me to consider changing to this new one please?
I have a Clara and updated by mistake (I didn't realize my WiFi was on). 4.37 is fine. But there's nothing really new or outstanding. No significant change in performance.

Unless you have a note-taking Kobo, it's likely not worth updating.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's worth updating to 4.37 if you have one of the Kobos that need to be on 4.35 or later in case of the need for a reset.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 03:03 PM   #103
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks Zod and Jon.
It's a Libra 2, so I'll leave it alone then on 4.35
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:55 PM   #104
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Thanks Zod and Jon.
It's a Libra 2, so I'll leave it alone then on 4.35
I'm still on 4.34...
Old 06-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #105
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It didn't break anything on my Libra 2. That's always positive these days on upgrades.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release