Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #91
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've got no interest in reading a harlequin/mills & boon like The well hung billionaire's doormat mistress, but not all romance is in that class (nothing wrong if you like those titles either). I actually read a Nora Roberts book not long ago called Blue Smoke and it wasn't too bad. Wasn't the best thing I've ever read, but then neither is a lot of the SciFi, Fantasy or Mystery out there either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #92
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I think it's unfair to categorize men as disliking romance fiction because of some kind of moral failing. I think the reason most men dislike romance novels is because they tend to be written from the perspective of the woman (whether or not the writer is female). Books that treat both the main characters with equal importance are more likely to appeal to a wider range of people.
I actually know a few male writers who are writing romance (besides writing cowboy stories and / or crime) - they are all writing from the perspective of the female - shame really, I would love to see them write fromt the male perspective. Although, that would probably cut the book down to a couple of pages

saw her
wanted her
got her

wait that's only 3 lines - doesn't consitute a book
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #93
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
This is most definitely, clearly and publicly defined as 'romance'. Do look it up It might be a slightly different definition of romance than you think though.

Added: romance
You notice he had to change his avatar from the JaneWay (with boobies) avatar in order to take part in this romance discussion.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #94
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of it has to do with the poor writing in most romance books.
I like the ones where the "e"s and "o"s go all the way across the page.

But I guess they're not really classed as romance.

Never mind.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #95
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I nominate "The House of the Seven Gables" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Even the real men here might be able to stomach that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I will second that one.

Written by a Real Man(tm)
I'll third it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #96
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I like the ones where the "e"s and "o"s go all the way across the page.

But I guess they're not really classed as romance.

Never mind.

Confused in Denver.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #97
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
I actually know a few male writers who are writing romance (besides writing cowboy stories and / or crime) - they are all writing from the perspective of the female - shame really, I would love to see them write fromt the male perspective. Although, that would probably cut the book down to a couple of pages

saw her
wanted her
got her

wait that's only 3 lines - doesn't consitute a book
Awwww, c'mon, I'm sure it could be longer!

saw her
wanted her
dammit
dammit
dammit
got her
held her head under the covers while I farted
lost her
dammit
dammit
dammit
got her back by promising to pretend not to be gross
dammit

Brilliant, no?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
This is most definitely, clearly and publicly defined as 'romance'. Do look it up It might be a slightly different definition of romance than you think though.

Added: romance
I still disagree that King Arthur is romance.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #99
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a real romance book...

Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You notice he had to change his avatar from the JaneWay (with boobies) avatar in order to take part in this romance discussion.
Actually, it was Seven of Nine. But I've changed it because the week is up. it's Tuxday... You know the day after Monday and the day before Wednesday.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #101
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Love on the Dole by Walter Greenwood (but it's not available in ebook as far as I'm aware). Shame that, one of the great novels from the 1930's.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #102
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I think it's unfair to categorize men as disliking romance fiction because of some kind of moral failing. I think the reason most men dislike romance novels is because they tend to be written from the perspective of the woman (whether or not the writer is female).
I totally agree. The assumption appears to be that 'romances' must be written from a female perspective (Austen, Bronte, Bridget Jones' Diary etc. etc.).

Romance from a male perspective (for example 'The Accidental Tourist' ) is discounted as not romance at all. I think this is wrong - men have hearts too!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #103
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Awwww, c'mon, I'm sure it could be longer!

saw her
wanted her
dammit
dammit
dammit
got her
held her head under the covers while I farted
lost her
dammit
dammit
dammit
got her back by promising to pretend not to be gross
dammit

Brilliant, no?
You must know chatty males
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #104
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
I think it's unfair to categorize men as disliking romance fiction because of some kind of moral failing. I think the reason most men dislike romance novels is because they tend to be written from the perspective of the woman (whether or not the writer is female). Books that treat both the main characters with equal importance are more likely to appeal to a wider range of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I totally agree. The assumption appears to be that 'romances' must be written from a female perspective (Austen, Bronte, Bridget Jones' Diary etc. etc.).

Romance from a male perspective (for example 'The Accidental Tourist' ) is discounted as not romance at all. I think this is wrong - men have hearts too!!
I agree with this being the reason, but I don't understand it. I enjoy books written from either perspective as long as they're interesting. And not necessarily well written, just needs to hold my interest.

Harlequin type Romances don't normally appeal to me. Neither do most Military Ops books. However, I do like JD Robb and Robert Ludlum, and will give books in any genre a chance if they're recommended by someone I trust.
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #105
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchbaby View Post
I agree with this being the reason, but I don't understand it. I enjoy books written from either perspective as long as they're interesting. And not necessarily well written, just needs to hold my interest.

Harlequin type Romances don't normally appeal to me. Neither do most Military Ops books. However, I do like JD Robb and Robert Ludlum, and will give books in any genre a chance if they're recommended by someone I trust.
Yes, a good romance can appeal to anyone.

But many romances treat the secondary character (usually, but not always, the man) as a two-dimensional fantasy figure - I thought J. D. Robb did this in the book of her's I tried to read. This is irritating if you're not 100% identifying with the main character - imho this is why most male readers find most romance fiction trying.

(I like the detective fiction of Anne Perry; but her romance elements are toe-curling deficiencies from my pov.)
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote