Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #91
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
FREE Ebook, Scientists Who Believe the Bible--in Mobi, EPub, and Pdf.

I have a standing rule that I will not post a book from a church, synagogue, mosque, religious ministry, etc. I don't intend to change that.

However, I am making a rare exception for this book. There are numerous reasons. I'll mention just two: 1) the author does a fantastic job of compiling information, and 2) the information is up-to-date (as of about 2014 (the year that this edition was published)).

Title: Scientists Who Believe the Bible.
Format(s): Mobi, ePub, pdf.
Author(s): David Cloud.
Publisher: Way of Life Literature, Inc.
Pages: v + 95.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): N/A.
Price: $0.00.
Retail Price: $4.49 (softcover).
Book Description (from the Introduction):
High Schools, colleges, and universities typically teach only one theory of origins, that being evolution, and the students are not presented with a creationist or even an Intelligent Design viewpoint. In fact, they are often given the idea that no true scientist today is a creationist.. . . .

Following are 84 scientists, most of whom with earned doctorates, who believe in a literal six-day creation. We have included selections from their testimonies and writings. These include statements of many evidences against evolution and for creation. Many of these men and women are former Darwinists who rejected it after studying the evidence.

Comments: I believe that this is a legal free download because it was posted as such on the Way of Life's (the publisher's) website, at the URL below.
URL: http://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks..._the_bible.php.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-05-2016 at 11:24 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #92
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
The Thursday/Friday David C. Cook book is a new one: The Wiersbe Bible Study Series: 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Since we've been talking about Bible software lately, I'll mention that it's free at Vyrso as well. Remember that Vyrso purchases will show up in your Logos software or app. It's not free at Olive Tree, though.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #93
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
The Thursday/Friday David C. Cook book is a new one: The Wiersbe Bible Study Series: 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Since we've been talking about Bible software lately, I'll mention that it's free at Vyrso as well. Remember that Vyrso purchases will show up in your Logos software or app. It's not free at Olive Tree, though.
Thanks for your post.

Lexham Press is another company owned or otherwise having some other close business relationship with Logos.

LP has just marked down 6 Kindle mobi ebooks that they publish, to 99 cents each:
Letters to a Christian, by John D. Barry.
BIble Word Studies, John D. Barry; Rebecca Van Noord (editors).
The Bible in Its Ancient Context, by John D. Barry; Rebecca Van Noord.
The Bible in the Real World, John D. Barry; Jessi Strong; and Rebecca Van Noord (editors).
The Gospel Works Everywhere, Rebecca Van Noord, Jessi Strong; and John D. Barry (editors).
When the Bible is Complicated, John D. Barry; Rebecca Van Noord (editors).

To emphasize, again: these are Kindle mobi books. They are not Vryso or Logos books, for which you would need either to have the proprietary Vryso app or have the Logos Bible software's engine to be able to access them.

Here's a link to Lexham Press' announcement of this sale, which has links to Amazon for each of the above ebooks.

The titles and authors/editors are all unfamiliar to me; I suggest that you check the ratings at Amazon and GoodReads to get the lowdown on them. I do notice that they all appear to be collections of articles, columns, etc. from Bible Study Magazine.

ADDENDUM: I do not see an ending date on the announcement for this sale. Apparently the sale is so new that third party sites that I often browse have no information up at all on the sale. LP sales are a completely new phenomenon to me, so I don't know if they tend to run long or short. I'll try to post an update to this post if I find out that the sale is one that ends, or has ended, quickly.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-10-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #94
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Speaking of Logos... In the 2015 thread we had a discussion about the ability to send Logos/Vyrso books to your Kindle. Logos is retiring that feature at the end of March (See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/123765.aspx).

After that, you are back to the workaround people used before Logos offered that feature. The Logos desktop app actually lets you export up to 100 pages of a book in one go. If you set it to the biggest page size possible, most books can be completely exported in only a few steps. Search the Logos forums for more instructions.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #95
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
Speaking of Logos... In the 2015 thread we had a discussion about the ability to send Logos/Vyrso books to your Kindle. Logos is retiring that feature at the end of March (See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/123765.aspx).

After that, you are back to the workaround people used before Logos offered that feature. The Logos desktop app actually lets you export up to 100 pages of a book in one go. If you set it to the biggest page size possible, most books can be completely exported in only a few steps. Search the Logos forums for more instructions.
Thanks for the heads up. I had not gotten word of it, or if I did I didn't read it.

I hadn't gotten around to trying out the send-to-Kindle feature, but I'm sure that I would have in the future had they continued it. I may try the workaround that you mentioned, though.
Advert
Old 03-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #96
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Hebraic Roots Bible is free.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #97
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I hadn't gotten around to trying out the send-to-Kindle feature, but I'm sure that I would have in the future had they continued it. I may try the workaround that you mentioned, though.
I'm disappointed by it. The materials that I wanted to send to the Kindle were Bibles and commentaries that are difficult or expensive to find as ebooks outside of Logos. The Bibles are missing footnotes and have other formatting issues, while the commentaries that I most want to transfer don't offer the option. If either of these changed, I had a short list of books that I wanted to buy from Logos.

Since I had read posts on the Logos forums that said that Logos was making improvements to the Kindle conversions, I tested sending things to Kindle every so often to see if they'd changed. They hadn't. Now that the feature is being discontinued, I guess I just have to keep hoping that some of the rights holders join the rest of the modern universe and offer regular ebooks.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #98
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE High-Quality Elementary New Testament Greek Grammar!

In my experience, finding a free, good, recently-published beginner's New Testament Greek (koine) grammar is a rarity. And yet, this one is free, it has been recently published, and I think that it is probably a good one based upon what I've read.

Among the things in its favor is the fact that it has been classroom-tested, being designed for and used in the Elementary Greek course at a well-regarded seminary, Asbury Theological Seminary (and having gone through "numbers of revisions" based upon experience in its actual use).

This book is regularly sold to the public, being for sale at Amazon at least. However, it is not available in a digital form, at least at Amazon. The only way that I know of that you can get it in digital form is to get it free that way via Asbury's/First Fruits Press' website.

There may not be any Mobilereader who will be needing this textbook for an elementary Greek course that he or she will be taking. However, I can envision a person with sufficient motivation and self-discipline using a textbook to work their way, by themselves, through the first year's level of New Testament Greek. I know people who have done it.

Title: Elementary New Testament Greek.
Format(s): Pdf.
Author(s): Joseph R. Dongell.
Publisher: First Fruits Press.
Pages: x + 222.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 4.5 (2); 5.0 (1) at GoodReads.
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at (or through Amazon) if available from there: $3.52 (Used, "Good." Paperback).
Book Description (Amazon):
The world does not [need] another Elementary Greek Grammar! There are many fine products on the market that have proven themselves to be useful both in the classroom and for private instruction.

The need for this particular grammar arises from the peculiar shape of the MDiv curriculum at Asbury Theological Seminary. Several years ago the faculty adopted a curriculum that required one semester of Greek and one semester of Hebrew, each as preparatory for a basic exegesis course in each discipline.

It became clear after several years of trial and error that a “lexical” or “tools” approach to learning Greek and Hebrew was inadequate, no matter how skilled the instructors or how motivated the students. In today’s general vacuum of grammatical training in public education across the United States, students typically enter seminary training with no knowledge of how languages work. Any training we might give them in accessing grammatical information through the use of Bible software programs will, we learned, come to naught in the absence of an understanding of just what such information actually means. We agreed that we actually needed to “teach the
language itself,” at least in some rudimentary fashion, if we hoped students would make sense of grammatical and linguistic issues involved biblical interpretation.

Comments: The ebook states that the "First Fruits Press has licensed the digital version of this work under the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial 3.0 United States License." For that reason, and the fact that it is offered as a free download from one of Asbury Seminary's websites (http://place.asburyseminary.edu/academicbooks/6/) (the publisher, First Fruits Press, being a digital imprint of the Asbury Theological Seminary), I believe this to be a legal free download.
URL: http://place.asburyseminary.edu/cgi/...=academicbooks (direct link).

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #99
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Thanks for posting about the Greek Grammar!
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #100
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

I got another email with a survey for a free PDF. Tell HarperCollins what you think about covers for teen Bibles and download either the Once-a-Day Devotional for Teens or The Story of Jesus for Teens in PDF. You have to select one or the other when the survey's finished, but nothing prevents you from taking the survey twice.

Completely unrelated, but the HCSB Study Bible is on sale for $2.99.
B&N
Christianbook (DRM free epub)
Amazon
Old 03-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #101
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

You can get a free Strong's Greek Hebrew Dictionary from LifeWay.

The Strong's Dictionary is a good tool for basic Bible study. The Strong's system is a relatively easy way of being able to study the Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament) words behind the words that you come across in an English translation. The only downside, imho, is that that translation is the KJV.

Here's their blurb about the Dictionary:
This truly is a one-of-a-kind concordance – The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. Not only can you find any Scripture passage in the KJV, you'll find every Hebrew or Greek word behind the English words. It's computer generated which gives you greater accuracy and the Strong numbering system links you directly to the original Greek and Hebrew words. This is a resource for serious Bible study and is essential for your library.

LifeWay calls this edition a "LifeWay Reader" edition. I just found out about this deal and really haven't had a chance to kick the tires and take it on a test drive to make sure that this is the full version (there may be some things that LifeWay adds, in fact). But, I'm fairly confident that it is.

Interestingly, LifeWay seems to offer their downloadable products mainly, if not completely, as ePub's. So, this one is in that format. I suppose that there is a way to open these products in an ePub reader, such as Adobe Digital Editions; however, LifeWay steers you into using their own proprietary, parochial smartphone app (another one! Ack!) or web-based viewer that you can use on your home computer.

You can go to this webpage to get the free deal. If you don't have a LifeWay account, you'll need to set up one.

Stay tuned. It looks like there may be a lot more good freebies from LifeWay's website to tell you about in the future, after I or someone else have coaxed them out.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-16-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #102
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I suppose that there is a way to open these products in an ePub reader, such as Adobe Digital Editions; however, LifeWay steers you into using their own proprietary, parochial smartphone app (another one! Ack!) or web-based viewer that you can use on your home computer.
The LifeWay Reader uses a proprietary DRM. The last time I tried it, I wasn't able to find a way to get an unencrypted file out of the deal. If you want to try it out, LifeWay has pretty much the same ebook selection and prices as Christianbook, so you can build a pretty reasonable library for free. This link shows you their ebook selection sorted by price.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:32 AM   #103
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Free Bibles in pdf version in various languages.

http://cloudlibrary.org/bibles/bible/
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #104
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Free Bibles in pdf version in various languages.

http://cloudlibrary.org/bibles/bible/
It appears that the only English version available is the English Revised Version (ERV). The book (text, etc.) itself is high quality. I know nothing, really, about the translation, although I have run across it a few times.

Perhaps of more interest to me (since I think that the translation is readily available free elsewhere) are the free books on this website by John/Lisa Bevere, the website's owner(s) (http://cloudlibrary.org/categories/books/). I did not recognize either name, but I found that there are many books by them sold by Amazon. Those books are all highly to very highly rated. Several, at least, are published by WaterBrook, a fairly big player in the business of publishing books for Christians (along with their sister company, Multnomah, both imprints of Penguin Random House). At least a couple are published by "Messenger International," an organization that the Beveres started and, I assume, own and run now.

All in all a great find. I'm especially interested in learning more about the Bevere's books, since they are so highly rated and free on this website. Thanks.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-19-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #105
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Lee Strobel's Very Highly Rated The Case for Christianity Answer Book--Only $1.99.

I think that I have every book that Lee Strobel has ever written, and probably more than one copy of each if you count the different formats. But this book addresses some topics that I don't remember seeing Strobel weigh in on in any of his previous books. So, I'm buying the book and am looking forward to reading his thoughts on those topics.

This is the #1 seller in the "Christian Inspiration" category at Amazon at the current time.

My source says that the reduced price on this ebook will be good through March 27.

The Case for Christianity Answer Book. By Lee Strobel. Rated 4.8 stars, from 29 reviews at Amazon. Print list price N/A; digital list(?) price $6.99; Kindle price now $1.99. Zondervan, publisher. 212 pages. http://www.amazon.com/Case-Christian...dp/B00MLO2FXS/.

I didn't check other vendors, per se, but I did notice that ChristianBook does not have the ePub ebook that they sell marked down at the present time. I'll try to check later, before the promotion ends.

Book Description
Answers to the most-asked questions about Christian faith!

The Case for Christianity Answer Book is a great book for both newer and seasoned Christians alike. The Q&A format lends itself to helping believers know how to effectively defend their faith. Perfect for those ready to consider Jesus, longtime believers, someone seeking the truth, or even a skeptic. This book is great for anyone looking for a handy reference. The Case for Christianity Answer Book provides succinct answers to real questions about Christianity. Strobel, a former atheist, uses his investigative journalism skills to dig deep into the Bible to provide compelling and concise answers about Christianity.

In this answer book, bestselling author Lee Strobel offers biblically based answers to questions such as:

- Did God use evolution when He created the world?

- If God is loving, why is there so much suffering?

- Do the resurrection accounts in the four Gospels contradict each other?

- Can you have doubts and still be a Christian?