Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #946
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
c.f., https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-535697583

Make sure the setting actually took by tripping an USBMS session and waiting for Nickel to delete everything on its own (which is unfortunately a silent process, IIRC); then just reinstall KOReader/Plato.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:10 PM   #947
curiousdreamer
pseudo-intellectual
curiousdreamer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Okay, so I made a USBMS session on KOReader but I don't see any indication that anything happened (which is probably what you mean by "silent process") so I am not sure what to do next.

If this doesn't work, I'm thinking of completely uninstalling the one-click package and reinstalling it, what should I do to prevent this from happening again?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I'm not really that code oriented.
curiousdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 05:50 PM   #948
curiousdreamer
pseudo-intellectual

Post To add to the previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdreamer View Post

If this doesn't work, I'm thinking of completely uninstalling the one-click package and reinstalling it, what should I do to prevent this from happening again?
To add onto this, can I just reinstall on top of my install of the one click package, or should I go this route or uninstall and reinstall the one click package?
Old 07-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #949
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
so I made a USBMS session on KOReader
The goal is to get Nickel to grok it, that obviously won't work unless you do that in Nickel .
Old 07-17-2023, 06:21 PM   #950
curiousdreamer
pseudo-intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The goal is to get Nickel to grok it, that obviously won't work unless you do that in Nickel .
Alright, so I simply connected my Kobo to the computer in the native Nickel interface, what do I do next?
Advert
Old 07-17-2023, 06:53 PM   #951
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Eject it, and let it sit in nickel for... A While(TM).

If all goes well, you'll see Nickel automatically deleting all those .png files. Once they're all gone (having an idea of your expected amount of total books helps), you can reinstall.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:14 PM   #952
curiousdreamer
pseudo-intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Eject it, and let it sit in nickel for... A While(TM).

If all goes well, you'll see Nickel automatically deleting all those .png files. Once they're all gone (having an idea of your expected amount of total books helps), you can reinstall.

Is it really that easy? Seems too good to be true (unless I'm doing something wrong again, I didn't change anything in the KOBOereader.config or deleted any programs or something like that). I only have 19 sideloaded books so this shouldn't take a lot of time I assume? I'll check upon this in 30 min and see if the .png's disappear.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:53 PM   #953
curiousdreamer
pseudo-intellectual

Update on this: literally nothing happened. I even powered off and on just to make sure. I really don't know what to do at this point.

At this point, I am fully in support of uninstalling KFMon and reinstalling it. I haven't figured out how to actually uninstall KFMon, just how to uninstall KOReader and Plato. Unless you can ELI5 this, I am at a loss as to what to do.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:19 PM   #954
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It has absolutely nothing to do with either KFMon, NickelMenu, KOReader or Plato, it's entirely Nickel, so uninstalling anything won't really change much .

What you *can* try is zapping the entire `FeatureSettings` config section, making sure you don't actually have multiples of it and/or of the `ExcludeSyncFolders` key; then eject, reboot and try an OCP install again.
You might want to try removing the KoboRoot.tgz (you don't actually need it, and that'll skip the reboot and hopefully leave Nickel time to grok WTH is happening) *before* ejecting that final time, though.

Another option instead of re-running the OCP is to just tweak the config file yourself, that's effectively the only thing not working right now.

(You'll still have to reinstall KOReader/Pato once Nickel has deleted those PNGs to restore them, though).

But before all that, I would also run a database integirty check via the calbre Kobo Utilities plugin, because, if for some reason your Nickel db is borked, that *could* explain your issues.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-18-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:21 PM   #955
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Out of curiosity, to what host OS are you connecting the device?
Old 07-18-2023, 10:26 AM   #956
curiousdreamer
pseudo-intellectual

@NiLuJe

For context, I have a Kobo Libra 2 running 4.37.21586 and it's connecting to a Windows 10 computer.

I see what you mean by the first paragraph now.

For the second paragraph, I weirdly don't see any KoboRoot.tgz file that I supposedly should delete after I delete the whole [FeatureSettings] section and before I eject (if I read that correctly). Is that normal behavior?

For the third paragraph, you mean the KOBOeReader.conf in /.kobo/Kobo right? Is it safe to tweak this (I have backed up my whole Kobo just in case and am aware of that Kobo firmware website, not sure if I can link here)? Should I delete the whole [FeatureSettings] section, eject, reboot, then plug back in, add [FeatureSettings] and the code that should be there afterwards, eject, and reboot again?

For the final paragraph, I couldn't find "Kindle Utilities" plugin in calibre but I already have the KoboUtilities plugin. After running a database check, I got this.

Code:
Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

ok

Last edited by curiousdreamer; 07-18-2023 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added edit to last sentence in "third paragraph"
Old 07-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #957
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For the second paragraph, I weirdly don't see any KoboRoot.tgz file that I supposedly should delete after I delete the whole [FeatureSettings] section and before I eject (if I read that correctly). Is that normal behavior?
I suspect @niluje is suggesting doing the install and then removing the KoboRoot.tgz before ejecting your Kobo.

If you see a KoboRoot.tgz file after ejecting or restarting, it would likely be an issue. The normal procedure when your Kobo sees that file after disconnecting from your computer or restarting is to install it and then delete it. The only time I've deleted KoboRoot.tgz other than when I was avoiding a firmware update was a corrupted patch file which did not install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #958
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, what @DNSB said .

(And "yep" to all your other queries, you parsed my 2AM ramblings correctly, despite that obvious Kindle/Kobo typo ^^).
Old 07-18-2023, 05:15 PM   #959
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Somehow, the .png images appear in My Books in Nickel/default Kobo interface. I don't want to delete them or move them just yet as I heard they might have some info on them that helps keep the programs running.
Okay, just in case, because I had an awful stupid thought the other day:

What kind of PNGs are we talking about? Because I was assuming you were seeing basically a whole lot of bits of Plato & KOReader UI elements; but, if, on the other hand, you just have a Plato & a KOReader logo, that's perfectly normal .
Old 07-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #960
b3ta
Enthusiast
b3ta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not sure what went wrong

I have a Kobo Glo HD on 4.37 and MacOS Catalina (10.15).

I downloaded the 2 files from post #2 and opened the zip of the second one within the folder of the first one (KOreader).

Connected my Kobo (not an easy feat - although it usually shows as charging, getting it to show on the desktop fails 90% of the time. I have to wiggle the cable a LOT).

I double-clicked the installer script. Everting seemed to run fine. I ejected the Kobo and it showed as 'updating' (or similar). However there seems to be no difference in the UI.

Edit: Terminal says "no supported packages found in the current directory" (the KOfolder)

Last edited by b3ta; 07-23-2023 at 05:44 PM.
b3ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato