Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2023, 04:36 PM   #931
CleanYourNibs
CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleanYourNibs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobos, Kindles, Boox, a Nook and a Sony
I don't think it's worth making a new thread for, but I am still curious: is a jailbreak for 5.15.1 being worked on?
CleanYourNibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:03 PM   #932
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanYourNibs View Post
I don't think it's worth making a new thread for, but I am still curious: is a jailbreak for 5.15.1 being worked on?
That requires a new vulnerability to be found that can be exploited to allow updating the keystore. There is no knowing when that will occur.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2023, 02:36 AM   #933
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
That requires a new vulnerability to be found that can be exploited to allow updating the keystore. There is no knowing when that will occur.

Dave
What about 5.14.3 instead?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 02:55 AM   #934
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
What about 5.14.3 instead?
Same answer for everything greater than 5.14.2
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:03 AM   #935
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Same answer for everything greater than 5.14.2
What a bummer... Ok, I suppose then that if one wants to retain the slightest chance that somebody some time in the future finds another security hole, he would do better not to update the factory firmware ever, right?

Or, in other words: has any of the jb found so far been valid for a kindle that had already been fw updated once?
Advert
Old 03-28-2023, 03:24 AM   #936
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
What a bummer... Ok, I suppose then that if one wants to retain the slightest chance that somebody some time in the future finds another security hole, he would do better not to update the factory firmware ever, right?
That has always been true, that advice is frequently given, and seems to be seldom heeded. It has very often paid off, sometimes after a few months, and sometimes only after years.

Quote:
Or, in other words: has any of the jb found so far been valid for a kindle that had already been fw updated once?
I'm not sure what you mean.

Some jailbreaks depend on an exact model and version. Those were sometimes the release version, but others times the version was after many updates. The last few years some jailbreaks would work for a range of firmwares on a range of models. I once had to do a firmware update to jailbreak, but that almost never happens. (And the firmware I had to update to was already old.)

In any case the newer firmwares are getting more and more locked down.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:18 AM   #937
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That has always been true, that advice is frequently given, and seems to be seldom heeded. It has very often paid off, sometimes after a few months, and sometimes only after years.
Yep, that's what I always recommend people to stick to, but I've never been in the position to actually have to follow it myself.
Not being able to stop the upgrades myself makes me feel so... insecure!

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean.

Some jailbreaks depend on an exact model and version. Those were sometimes the release version, but others times the version was after many updates. The last few years some jailbreaks would work for a range of firmwares on a range of models. I once had to do a firmware update to jailbreak, but that almost never happens. (And the firmware I had to update to was already old.)

In any case the newer firmwares are getting more and more locked down.
You have actually answered to me nevertheless.
What I was asking was this: in the past when I jailbreaked my kindles, I read procedures that said: do this and this and this, but they were said to be valid only if I applied them as soon as I got my kindle, that is applicable to a kindle with a factory firmware; if I had let the kindle to update, the vulnerability exploited by the jailbreak was fixed and not exploitable anymore.

But based on what you say, I understand that there are also jailbreak (maybe like this watchthis! one) that do work also on non-factory firmware, provided they are <=5.14.2.
So it's not granted that if I update to, let's say, 5.15.1 now, one day somebody will find a jb procedure that works on this fw "non factory"... but of course, as we were saying above, the less we update the fw, the more likely is a newly found jb to work
Old 03-28-2023, 06:28 AM   #938
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Damn! Kindle just got here, factory firmware 5.14.3.0.1...
I'm locked out!
Old 04-05-2023, 09:15 AM   #939
Althusser
Althusser began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
Unhappy

Quote:
Damn! Kindle just got here, factory firmware 5.14.3.0.1...
I'm locked out!
I too recently bought a PW5 in Italy and I have the same firmware.
Althusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:15 PM   #940
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althusser View Post
I too recently bought a PW5 in Italy and I have the same firmware.
Yep, I'm italian too
Old 04-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #941
atthetower
atthetower began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How do you "Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage" ? is that a folder? im a noob at this
atthetower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:26 PM   #942
atthetower
atthetower began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
how does one "Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage" ? sorry im a noob at this
atthetower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:41 PM   #943
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthetower View Post
how does one "Create the directory .demo at the root of the Kindle storage" ? sorry im a noob at this
Windows: Right-click > New Folder > .demo
macOS: Right-click > New Folder > .demo'

If your on Windows, you might need to do this:

Quote:
In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select Show hidden files and folders from the search results.

Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.
If your on macOS, you might need to do this:

Quote:
Press CMD+Shift+.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:33 PM   #944
thenext1wontbeak
thenext1wontbeak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
WELP!

Hi everyone,

After completing step 8 from the Setup section of this guide, I'm stuck on a screen with the legend "This demonstration device is either missing content or is disconnected from the network - CONFIGURE DEVICE".

I can't proceed to step 9, however, as there's no magnifier icon anywhere. I can tap to enter `;demo` and restart the device.

My device is a Kindle Voyage with firmware 5.13.6.

After searching online, I found a couple of posts where people are instructed to tap the magnifier icon, just like stated in this guide, but again, that icon isn't here.

Something that might be useful for you to know (or not!) is that the background pictures change every time I single-tap on the screen.

Thanks,
-M.
thenext1wontbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:29 AM   #945
Sonnenfee
Zealot
Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonnenfee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Sony, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext1wontbeak View Post
After completing step 8 from the Setup section of this guide, I'm stuck on a screen with the legend "This demonstration device is either missing content or is disconnected from the network - CONFIGURE DEVICE".
Something that might be useful for you to know (or not!) is that the background pictures change every time I single-tap on the screen.
At this step in which you are stucking on right now, you don't have to look for a magnifier icon, there is none.

You have to finish "8. ... skip the misconfiguration lockout using the "secret gesture" (double finger tap on bottom right of screen then swipe left)

Here you can see how to do:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JzuIGbGPpig

Last edited by Sonnenfee; 04-14-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Sonnenfee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak