> 8000 3 5.45%
Yes, i'm getting more page turns now 20 36.36%
No, i am NOT getting more page turns 6 10.91%
No, i am getting LESS page turns 11 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #76
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
I'm not really counting page turns, but I read for a minimum 1hr every day and I still haven't charged my Kobo since day one of the update!

Think I'm going to plug it it now, but I still have about 1/5 charge showing on the battery meter.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #77
Bismar
Connoisseur
Bismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-booksBismar has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo eReader
Got a exchange for my kobo and read approximately 3600 pages over 3 days on the brand new kobo, before the charge message came up.

Not at all satisfied with this.
Bismar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #78
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
I decided to charge mine up the other night, then log the books that I can read before it runs out. Then figure the Kobo page turns.
Ran out today. So almost 20 days since I charged it. Something approaching 3000 page turns. Lots of boot cycles.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #79
zero10
zero10 began at the beginning.

Our Kobo is at approximately 1800 page turns and still shows ~2/3 battery left. Given that it has been powered off and on about every 25-30 pages (we use it to read our daughter to sleep) I am pretty impressed. The old firmware barely made it to 300 pages this way so this is more than a 6x improvement for us
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #80
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Really? 8000 page turns is about 20-30 typical novels on the smallest font. That's a hell of a lot of reading, and I'd suspect that for most people would take more than 2 weeks to complete - and 2 weeks was the other half of the advertising on the battery life.

From the "How many books do you read...?" thread in one of the other forums, it looks fair to say that most people are reading under 100 books a year, or at most 4 books every two weeks. That's still going to be well under the 3000 page turns Bismar got.

So I'm struggling to see how a mere 3000 pages would be a make-it-or-break-it issue for anyone, since that would mean having to plug the unit in for a few hours every three weeks or so. Especially when, if you're reading that much, you'll have to plug it in to sideload the books onto it in the first place.
FWIW, I just counted: in the 12 months to today, I've read 37 books totalling 14925 pages (real, paper pages, not Kobo screensful—only counting what I read for pleasure), or 622 pages every two weeks. On PDFs, where I have them (can't compare epub; no idea if the power drain is the same, better, or worse for PDF vs. epub), it seems to require about 4-5 page-turns per physical page, so call it just shy of 3000 page turns every 2 weeks, if I read them as PDFs. But——I read in bursts: get through several books, then read nothing much for a month or more, etc., not smoothly, so I'd at least double that to account for the peaks. So IF I read everything on the Kobo (which is never going to happen), and IF I cared about running for two weeks at a time between charges (which is also highly unlikely), then getting much less than 7–8000 page turns per two weeks could in fact be a problem.
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #81
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Well I finally did a real test and am getting almost 3500, maybe 4000, warning to charge never came up, but it has been on it's last juice for awhile now...
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #82
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismar View Post
Got a exchange for my kobo and read approximately 3600 pages over 3 days on the brand new kobo, before the charge message came up.

Not at all satisfied with this.
That's too bad that you are not satisfied. I feel like a 4 book (roughly 3600 pages) cycle in between charges is pretty fantastic overall. Not sure any other ereader gets more than that...

The 8000 page turns they claim is if you sit there and press the page turn button over and over without powerdown (I would imagine)....
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #83
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Have to say that I almost take more attention to the battery
status than to the book I actually read. It is distracting, in
fact. Linear status jumps like a jumping champion, not rela-
ted to any usage. First charge was completed with firmware
upgrade and adding of books, followed by one hour proces-
sing. With that I was able to read 1.5 regular book (about
380 real pages, in 3 steps). New charge has another 1.5 book,
and the status icon shows less than half. A lot of power ons
and offs. A lot of looking how much battery was left. I suspect
I will be fine with 2 books of those 380 real pages (why all
those books are at 380?). My question is: is it or-or state?
8000 clicks or 2 weeks? 2 weeks of what? Reading or simply
2 weeks?
Just as a lot of other posters, I'm not sure if my device is ok.
Works fine, looks fine, just that battery indicator makes me
mad.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #84
twokobos
twokobos began at the beginning.

When I first got my Kobo I opened a bunch of preoloaded books, then decided I didn't want them all I'm Reading. I didn't get the concept of going to the last chapter, so I labouriously clicked through every page of each book. I drained that battery like lightening. I figure I got about 1500 clicks before it died stone cold.

More recently I took my Kobo on vacation, fully charged, read 5 books, never charged the device & returned with life still left.

Okay, maybe 8000 pages is like 50km/l hybrid car claims, but I'm satisfied.
twokobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #85
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I get noticeably more when I "power off" as opposed to letting it go into sleep mode.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #86
SandysConnected
SandysConnected began at the beginning.

3d0g, thanks for all the research!

~Sandy, Community Manager at ShesConnected.com
SandysConnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #87
omahawildcat
Enthusiast
omahawildcat began at the beginning.

Is there anyone that reads 8000 pages and thats it?
The 8000 pages would have to be without connecting to wifi and updating the ereader and probably very limited moving around in the menu.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM   #88
omahawildcat
Enthusiast
omahawildcat began at the beginning.

I don't get more then a week on a charge if I read every night or if I don't read at all. I definitely don't get anywhere near 500 page turns on a charge.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote