Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #76
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Disappointed. After 6 months of development, they just released such a useless update (at least for DX). and isn't the update for Kindle 2 is simply a cop from DX? What the programmers are doing in half of year. It simply ignored the primary defects, such as folder, pdf index, good bookmarks and fonts. Battery life, is it so critical? what's the difference between 4 days or 6 days? No use.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #77
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepaper View Post
Disappointed. After 6 months of development, they just released such a useless update (at least for DX). and isn't the update for Kindle 2 is simply a cop from DX? What the programmers are doing in half of year. It simply ignored the primary defects, such as folder, pdf index, good bookmarks and fonts. Battery life, is it so critical? what's the difference between 4 days or 6 days? No use.
Quote for preservation sake.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #78
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
the PDF cropping alone is worth it for reading marginal PDFs, think: those with vision issues.

in terms of the kindle2, it's a marked updated - the PDF feature is new new new, hot hot hot. old news to DX users since June, right? good stuff.

i'll take extra battery life, thanx muchly.

supposedly first thing 2010 we'll have folders/tags/something like that. that's HOT HOT HOT. coming soon - they said so.

sure, it would be great to address trivial complaints too most of the other eReaders have a lot of issues too. not getting fixed either

it'd be awesome to have ePub and other formats, but you know? even the K1 is still quite usable. just don't get these whingings.

ex
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #79
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! Terrific update. I have barely touched my iRex DR1000S since I got my Kindle 2i and now the Kindle has PDF support its pretty much the ideal reader for me. ePub support would be nice but calibre does such a good conversion that it would really just be a convenience.

Btw... easiest update ever! I read this thread at work and was wondering what to do with the .bin files that Nate linked to. But as soon as I get home and turn on my Kindle I find it had done the update by itself in my absence.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:40 AM   #80
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Am I missing something, or is this still basically the equivalent of a really basic image viewer for PDFs, but now with a crop feature?

It's still a joke, otherwise:

NO ability to search within a PDF;
NO dictionary use within a PDF;
NO hyperlink capability (which means that TOCs, footnotes and indexes are useless within a PDF.)

So, why is Amazon sitting on its large collective behind, and failing to implement these most basic features?

And why are people so happy with this miserable update?

Phew!
I agree. PDFs on any e-reader are horrible.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #81
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Oooh, this is brilliant! Longer battery life and native PDF - just what I wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
If I were creating a pdf specifically for the device, I'd make sure the font was suitable for the screen. Since I create pdfs from word docs and use Primo pdf to "print", this will work really well for me.

UPDATE: I gave this a quick test using some genealogy software to generate a file. Setting the page size to "A5" -- which is abt 5 x 8 -- creates a presentable, readable document. Woo-hoo!
'A6' is pretty close to the physical screen size. I need to experiment a bit more, but it looks like a 9x10.5 cm page size fits the screen well.

Quote:
<snip>... It simply ignored the primary defects, such as folder, pdf index, good bookmarks and fonts. Battery life, is it so critical? what's the difference between 4 days or 6 days? No use.
I'll take all extra battery life I can get. It didn't go four days with wireless on, for me. I like the current font, but more size choices would be nice, and and I can understand if other people get a better reading experience with a different font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Please... It all depends on how the PDFs are formatted. I prefer it for recipes, for example, as it easily allows me control over what's on the page. It's nice to have the whole ingredient list on one page.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #82
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I have more ebooks in pdf than any other format so this update to my Kindle2 is very much wanted. I've been sending my pdf's via email and have them converted for me with @free.kindle.com even though I have Calibre on my Macpro.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #83
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well still no ePub
The day amazon add ePub, annotation support for pdf, sell the kindle DX internationaly, then they have totally sold one to me. Keyboard seams the way to go for text typing.

But the way it's going , others might have moved first....
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I must respectfully disagree. A4/Letter PDFs on my iRex DR1000S are superb.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #85
exreader
exanimate ex post facto
exreader began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They're pretty darn nice on the DX.

If the source material is broken, the display device doesn't matter.

I've seen some horrible nasty PDFs that didn't look good on a PC, or printed. Worse than bad faxes. An eInk display isn't going to do any good there.

As well, I've seen fantastic PDFs that are eye poppingly wonderful on the DX, and they don't look too shabby on a PC or printed either ;> In particular, these PDFs were made by people who knew what they were doing.

Garbage in, Garbage out... ==> Perfection in, Perfection out

and given in some cases that the ONLY choice for the document is PDF? i'd rather have that than nothing. conversion isn't always an option (some PDFs cannot convert properly to mobi for instance)

ex
exreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #86
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Ah well, certainly I've not experienced any the larger readers but what I've seen on my Sony, Astak and Kindle is pretty poor.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #87
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Ah well, certainly I've not experienced any the larger readers but what I've seen on my Sony, Astak and Kindle is pretty poor.
Really? I often create PDFs for my 6" ereaders and it looks perfectly fine to me.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's certainly true that there is just no satisfactory way to display an A4 PDF on a 6" screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #89
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
This being a _firmware_ update, I take it there is no way to save the current version of the firmware to allow you to revert if you don't like the results?

And Im assuming that when you "Check for Updates and Synchronize" you will get the update whether you want it or not?

I would hope they would have included justification options.. <sigh>

Oh, well...PDF support was never a biggie for me, but justification and ePub support, THAT would be nice!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #90
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I'm disappointed in the lack of epub support, but I guess I can understand the business logic behind it (even if it is flawed). What I cannot understand is why there are no font or screen saver options in the new firmware. These are the two most popular "hacks" to the Kindle, and they are the ones that make most users feel more connected to their device. I'm sure he was a nice man, but I don't want a picture of Ralph Ellison on my Kindle, I want my own authors or pictures of my choosing!

Also, I'm surprised that there is no font scaling on the PDFs, at least as far as I've tried it. That makes the PDF option almost pointless.

I guess the battery life will be a nice improvement if it turns out to be true - my Kindle used to get about 2 days with wireless on, or about a week and half with the wireless off (but updating daily for the NYT). If I can leave the wireless on and have it update itself without dramatically decreasing battery life, that would be convenient.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote