Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #76
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
Thanks edembowski and Moejoe,

I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping that Sony eventually comes up with an update for full-justified EPUB display. I can't wait to migrate my library to Epub.
Why would you want that, it's generally poorly done, difficult to read and more stressful on the eyes.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 AM   #77
braver
Enthusiast
braver has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Once again, I'd appreciate if the posters in this thread refrain from

-- copyright debate
-- conversion and quality issues
-- DRM or no DRM

The issue is ebooks for paper books. I don't care in which format here, really. The problem is what aspects are relevant to digital upgrade.
braver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #78
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
1: It would be great if publishers gave a free or low cost ebook with every paper book purchase. I'm all for that even though I can't see myself buying too many more pbooks in the future. Frankly I don't see it happening for free and I don't care enough to bother writing to any publisher demanding it.

2: The above idea would only really work, in my opinion, if an option for such was given at time of purchase. If you want the ebook version then get it when you purchase the paper version. If you do not obtain the ebook version at time of purchase then that is your tough luck.

3: The idea we, as consumers, have a "right" or "entitlement" to the digital version from the publisher, at the publishers expense, for free is laughable in my opinion. At time of purchase the consumer is well aware of what they are purchasing. In this case, that is a paper version of a book. If the terms of sale are not to the consumers liking(because it does not include the ebook) then the consumer has a right to, or is entitled to, not proceed with the transaction. That is the only right or entitlement the consumer has.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #79
orion2001
Groupie
orion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notesorion2001 can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
Once again, I'd appreciate if the posters in this thread refrain from

-- copyright debate
-- conversion and quality issues
-- DRM or no DRM

The issue is ebooks for paper books. I don't care in which format here, really. The problem is what aspects are relevant to digital upgrade.
Unfortunately the topic of this thread is very closely related to these points so if you wish not to discuss them I don't really see what else there is to say. Sure it would be nice to have an ebook along with a regular book, but obviously that isn't happening right now and a lot of it has to do with publishers, DRM, copyright and licensing issues.
orion2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #80
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
3: The idea we, as consumers, have a "right" or "entitlement" to the digital version from the publisher, at the publishers expense, for free is laughable in my opinion. At time of purchase the consumer is well aware of what they are purchasing. In this case, that is a paper version of a book. If the terms of sale are not to the consumers liking(because it does not include the ebook) then the consumer has a right to, or is entitled to, not proceed with the transaction. That is the only right or entitlement the consumer has.
I totally agree with you.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #81
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
You can rip & encode those CDs, if you have access to a computer with CDex installed.
Depending on your country you can also scan your paper books too, in neither case is the publisher under any obligation to supply you with the additional format.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #82
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
braver, if I do understand you correctly you are referring to the Amazon Upgrade feature and demand that this is expanded to any printed book purchases done on Amazon, and, in addition, for a lower or general fee?

It would have done this thread some good if you have stated that more clearly in both thread title and your initial post.

Amazon is a company with international branches. The Amazon Upgrade only applies to the US. I never heard of it before, living in Germany, with the Kindle not being sold over here.
So I took your approach as a general demand on an international level. For the US your idea sounds logical and quite reasonable. For the rest of the world your Amazon-based arguments simply don't apply at all.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #83
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
K-Thomm wrote
Quote:
braver, if I do understand you correctly you are referring to the Amazon Upgrade feature and demand that this is expanded to any printed book purchases done on Amazon, and, in addition, for a lower or general fee?

It would have done this thread some good if you have stated that more clearly in both thread title and your initial post.

Amazon is a company with international branches. The Amazon Upgrade only applies to the US. I never heard of it before, living in Germany, with the Kindle not being sold over here.
So I took your approach as a general demand on an international level. For the US your idea sounds logical and quite reasonable. For the rest of the world your Amazon-based arguments simply don't apply at all.
No...as I stated earlier, Amazon acts as a venue for individuals & small businesses to sell their merchandise...so...MANY of the purchases made on Amazon are in fact thru private individuals or businesses which have no relationship with the publishing company of the item they're selling....no way does Amazon have any obligation to supply ebooks for those items.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #84
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I have CDs I've purchased; that doesn't entitle me to free or low cost MP3s of the same songs.
Sure it does (depending on what country you're in), you just have to "rip" them yourself.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #85
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
The contents is the same, and the fact that you don't think you're entitled to it in all possible shapes means you're still in the 20th century, or are a perfect customer for RIAA and the like, or both.
You're legally entitled to it, but you have to do the work yourself. If you expect Amazon to do it for you then you would need to consider the cost/labor of them doing the work instead.

Would it be nice if Amazon offered this as a service for the pBook customers (either for free or at a reduced price), certainly. I don't really see why they should be required to do so though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #86
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Sure it does (depending on what country you're in), you just have to "rip" them yourself.
You can do it yourself, but the publisher is not obliged to give it to you, or even to make it easy for you to do it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #87
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

And the same is true of books -- you are perfectly justified in scanning and/or converting them to digital versions if it is for your own use and you are willing to do the work.

You should expect the publisher to do the work for you though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #88
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
K-Thomm wrote

No...as I stated earlier, Amazon acts as a venue for individuals & small businesses to sell their merchandise...so...MANY of the purchases made on Amazon are in fact thru private individuals or businesses which have no relationship with the publishing company of the item they're selling....no way does Amazon have any obligation to supply ebooks for those items.
While Amazon does act as a venue for third-party merchants, the so-called "Amazon Sellers," they also make it very clear when you're purchasing from one of these third parties rather than Amazon itself. (At least they do in the USA and Canada.)

So while Amazon has no obligation to do anything for the customers of those third parties, most customers know whether they bought from Amazon itself (in which case Amazon policies do apply) or from a third party.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #89
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Lemurion,
Of course you're absolutely correct.

I merely wanted to point out the difference, and suggest that it adds an additional layer to be sorted thru. Also, there's the Amazon 'fullfilment centers', in which Amazon acts as a storage and distribution service for sellers not interested in warehousing and shipping their merchandise.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #90
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
On the fulfillment centers, that is stated too.

I still don't see why publishers should be required to go back and retroactively make things available for their past customers. It is a logistics nightmare, that ends up with them just losing money.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lobby, upgrade