Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #76
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
What I can do for you wodin is check on your jetBook when I pass through Vernon early this morning. I'll make sure it gets through town safely.
Thanks, but I don't expect it to get to Vernon until Tuesday or Wednesday. ETA in Hawaii is Thursday.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #77
bonteku
Interested Observer
bonteku began at the beginning.

Device: Palm tx/Jetbook
Quote:
May I call you Juggernaut Jon?

Your defective Kindle angle is weaksauce. Until you get a jetBook (are there any other ebooks with these screens?) and compare, you lack credibility. You must see that.

I'm the guy that is miffed because jetBook claims dictionary support but only has it for two out of six or more compatible files. I'm the guy who is waiting patiently for a response from Ectaco for a response to my post in their forum. It's me that started a thread about the goofy jetBook LED that blinks at will. I sarcastically slammed their big bust ad as tasteless, and made fun of their cheezy background music and preloaded NY drivers manual.

My jetBook needs one or two resets daily, and I just had to use my Leatherman tool to do it because I am in a cheap motel without a paper clip. But the screen, the reading experience, in lamp light, twilight, or sunlight (sunlight may be a toss-up) is an immense improvement over the Kindle, and I suppose your Sony, as they use the same e-ink screen.

I'm trying my best to give my honest opinion and observations about the jetBook and Kindle. What are you doing?
I really wish there was a central location to find Jetbook threads.I've had my Jetbook for one week and love it but would like to know where did my dictionary go and what is the driving force behind the power LED.I also downloaded some sample books in mobi from Smashwords and got a strange compression warning when I opened them on Jetbook.It's a great device with a beautiful screen and lots of xtras but I would really like to click on one Jetbook heading and get questions answered.Thanks to everyone for all the tips I'm able to pick up.
bonteku is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #78
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
I hear you bonteku. I would like to see a jetBook forum myself. I just took this shot and uploaded it to another thread but it really kinda belongs here. I think it accurately depicts both screens, and is a fair comparison shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2799.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	856.0 KB
ID:	28110  
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With the Kindle and Jetbook, is there a way to change the space between the lines?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #80
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Probably a stupid question: will the AC adapter that comes with the Jetbook work in Europe @ 220? Of course, assuming that I adapt to the correct rounded pins.
I hadn't actually considered the Jetbook before, because of the screen size. But there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between 6" and 5" - thanks @galavanter for the comparision images - and I've just never been comfortable with the idea of page "flashing" on refreshes of eink displays. I don't use DRM-books so that is not an issue.
Price looks good too. (I'd have it sent from the USA as a gift - for real!)
Thanks for any info!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #81
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With the Kindle and Jetbook, is there a way to change the space between the lines?
Nope. I agree it looks rather large on the jetBook (that's capital B Jon), and making the font smaller didn't change it. Maybe it's the book format? I really don't know.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #82
galavanter
Zealot

rgeorg here's a outdoors natural light shot. The first was under a fluorescent bulb.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG2806.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	28117  
Old 04-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #83
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I hadn't actually considered the Jetbook before, because of the screen size. But there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between 6" and 5" - thanks @galavanter for the comparision images

Thanks for the photo galavanter, because of the increased contrast of the JB, it looks like my ancient eyeballs would be as comfortable with a smaller font, thus rendering the smaller screen size moot.

I agree that we need a JetBook forum!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Nope. I agree it looks rather large on the jetBook (that's capital B Jon), and making the font smaller didn't change it. Maybe it's the book format? I really don't know.
The line spacing as also rather large on the K1 as well. Can you get some shots of the JetBook using ePub or some other formats?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #85
galavanter
Zealot

All the formats on the jetBook (small j please ), of which I have at least one of each, look the same as far as line spacing. The Kindle too apparently. Something tells me the Sony can adapt for this?

Jon what do you think of my comparison pics otherwise? Honest.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #86
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
All the formats on the jetBook (small j please ), of which I have at least one of each, look the same as far as line spacing. The Kindle too apparently. Something tells me the Sony can adapt for this?
Yes it can, but it is not a function of the device or its software. The ePUB book can be made (or, if it is non-DRM protected, can be modified) to change spacing, indentation, font, etc.

If ePUB is implemented properly, you should be able to do the same thing on jetBook.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #87
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Probably a stupid question: will the AC adapter that comes with the Jetbook work in Europe @ 220? Of course, assuming that I adapt to the correct rounded pins.
I hadn't actually considered the Jetbook before, because of the screen size. But there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between 6" and 5" - thanks @galavanter for the comparision images - and I've just never been comfortable with the idea of page "flashing" on refreshes of eink displays. I don't use DRM-books so that is not an issue.
Price looks good too. (I'd have it sent from the USA as a gift - for real!)
Thanks for any info!
Yes, it will work in Europe if you have the correct rounded pins.
The info on adapter:
INPUT: 100-240V~
OUTPUT: 5.0V---1000mA
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #88
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made the picture of jetBook screen (this book in mobi format) with smalest font size - 12 to show the quality of the screen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JetBook_screen.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	28123  
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #89
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Well, NewEgg.com just refused my order for the jetbook because the billing address for my credit card is in Europe - never mind that the card is issues from a US bank and the device was to be shipped to an "bank authorized alternative address" in the US!

A few weeks ago, I had difficulties while trying to purchase the EZreader from Frys.

I'm thinking this may be a "sign" for me to stick with my netbooks for now! At least my 9" tablet was purchased by my employer. Oh well...
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #90
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Well, NewEgg.com just refused my order for the jetbook because the billing address for my credit card is in Europe - never mind that the card is issues from a US bank and the device was to be shipped to an "bank authorized alternative address" in the US!

A few weeks ago, I had difficulties while trying to purchase the EZreader from Frys.

I'm thinking this may be a "sign" for me to stick with my netbooks for now! At least my 9" tablet was purchased by my employer. Oh well...
NewEgg has the info below about address verification:
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/AddressVerification.aspx

I think you can call them to explain about bank authorized alternative address