Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2023, 01:13 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
It didn't even occur to me to wish for pdfs to work better. Even wishing can only achieve so much.
Too bad it didn't occur to ask for a faster processor and more powerful battery.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:21 PM   #77
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Took the survey.

Honestly, at this point I think my next ereader is a Boox. They seem like the only decent option that still has a microSD card slot, and I'm not interested in any ereader that makes me have to swap files around. It's too bad because I really like my Kobo.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #78
ghira
Zealot
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too bad it didn't occur to ask for a faster processor and more powerful battery.
Honestly these aren't things that have seemed like problems to me. Painfully bad formulae in maths books, yes.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 07:05 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
Honestly these aren't things that have seemed like problems to me. Painfully bad formulae in maths books, yes.
What we should have asked for is the latest version of RMSDK. That would solve your math problems with ePub.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:27 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What we should have asked for is the latest version of RMSDK. That would solve your math problems with ePub.
Does the latest version of RMSDK contain the fonts required to display MathML? I do find that using kepub with a secondary font helps but ePub on a Kobo does not support a secondary font.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2023, 12:19 AM   #81
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I fail to see how having to add another step and another device to the process makes things better.
I totally understand the frustration of an extra step. I have some things that generate epub files, and I make sure that it inserts correct metadata in them so I don't need the extra step of re-fixing it in calibre.

The kobo UI is all based on metadata in the document.
If your metadata is blank, then kobo should be using the filename anyway (does it?)
If your metadata is wrong, I don't see any solution other than using something like calibre to fix it.

Last edited by compurandom; 12-30-2023 at 12:37 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 12:53 AM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
If your metadata is blank, then kobo should be using the filename anyway (does it?)
No, the metadata is used. If the metadata is screwed up, the results are less than useful. GIGO comes to mind. Please note that the main metadata used by Kobo is part of the Dublin Core metadata. If it is screwed up, epubcheck is not going to be happy with your epub and no publisher that I am aware of will accept it.

Quote:
If your metadata is wrong, I don't see any solution other than using something like calibre to fix it.
I've used Sigil's metadata editor to fix up some weird issues and at times, have edited the .opf file to correct issues from &^%*)@ software that generates invalid OPF entries (some software authors simply know better than the people generating the standards what is needed and not needed).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 03:38 AM   #83
ghira
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does the latest version of RMSDK contain the fonts required to display MathML?
I don't know the answer to that but the stix math font that appeared on my Sage a few versions ago has made some previously useless epubs readable.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:42 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Does the latest version of RMSDK contain the fonts required to display MathML? I do find that using kepub with a secondary font helps but ePub on a Kobo does not support a secondary font.
Yes, ADE does support MathML.

https://www.adobe.com/solutions/eboo...ase-notes.html
Quote:
Changes in ADE 4.0.3
  • Support is now available for navigational items like Landmarks, Pages list, Images list and Tables list.
  • MathML support is now available for ADE on Windows.
  • Audio and video content in the eBooks can be progressively downloaded on all platforms.
  • Erasing the authorization of this computer adds one more to your number of allowed authorizations.
  • An intuitive popup box for controlling media overlays.
  • The Scrubber bar can be used to navigate to pages across eBooks.
  • Full support for EPUB’s Fragment Identifier.
  • Full support for all input types in eBooks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-30-2023 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:58 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I totally understand the frustration of an extra step. I have some things that generate epub files, and I make sure that it inserts correct metadata in them so I don't need the extra step of re-fixing it in calibre.

If your metadata is blank that's something you should fix before side loading. I've never seen a purchased or borrowed eBook with blank metadata. Wrong, I have seen. But with a Kobo, you can fix it in calibre and send the fixed metadata to the Kobo.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:21 AM   #86
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:

Why would you want to tell them how to solve this problem? Especially in a way that is not backwards compatible? The correct approach in software development is to tell them which problem to solve and then their product managers can come up with a useful solution themselves.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 05:32 AM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Why would you want to tell them how to solve this problem? Especially in a way that is not backwards compatible? The correct approach in software development is to tell them which problem to solve and then their product managers can come up with a useful solution themselves.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
How is a faster processor and more powerful battery not backward compatible?
Old 12-30-2023, 07:31 AM   #88
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
If your metadata is blank that's something you should fix before side loading. I've never seen a purchased or borrowed eBook with blank metadata. Wrong, I have seen. But with a Kobo, you can fix it in calibre and send the fixed metadata to the Kobo.
Not just talking about epubs, but also PDFs.

I've just seen so many PDFs that were well formatted but with either blank metadata or title set to "Microsoft Word Document" or some equally stupid default for title and author.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #89
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
I'd prefer buttons on no side. They would make it such that the bezel on the Libra 2 could be smaller.
I like big bezels and I cannot lie.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 09:16 AM   #90
ghira
Zealot

I generally don't use buttons, but don't really care much if they are there or not. If other people like them, well, fine. My Aura One didn't have them, and I was ok with that. My Sage does, and I mostly ignore them. If the buttons existing helps sell enough that the model exists vs not existing, ok by me.