Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #76
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not here. Very few people wear masks where I live, but 44% are vaccinated.

I'm vaccinated and I don't wear a mask.
I live in the USA in the red part of a blue state. I am willing to bet non mask wearers here are non vaccinated.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #77
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
My colleagues and I are doubly vaccinated. We still wear masks both in the office and on the road. We've been masked up for the past 15 to 16 months.

Heck, at times we still need to add goggles or face shields.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #78
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I live in the USA in the red part of a blue state. I am willing to bet non mask wearers here are non vaccinated.
I live in a small Blue island in a large Red state. Ditto. If they aren't wearing a mask, they probably refused to get vaccinated too.

I went to pick up my groceries this morning at Walmart. I let them do the shopping. The Walmart people who bring the groceries out to my car still wear masks. I also had my mask on even though I’m totally vaccinated. Maybe I don't need to, but I think it is good to wear it and it sends a signal that I care about the health and well being of others.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Maybe I don't need to, but I think it is good to wear it and it sends a signal that I care about the health and well being of others.
Personally I don't really believe in the efficiency of masks. Vaccination and social distancing do the trick. I wore a mask when it was mandatory (and only where it was mandatory), because I didn't want to be bothered for disobeying. But I'm not going to wear it of my own free will.

As much as I can tell, most people in my country share this attitude. The moment the mask mandate was lifted, most discarded their masks immediately.

I'm not saying we're necessarily right. Perhaps masks do protect from viruses, at least to an extent. Still, I believe that Covid has come to stay, like flu, and I for one don't want to wear a mask for years or decades to come.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #80
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I grew up in rural Texas, so I know those people well enough to know if they haven't gotten vaccinated by now, they likely never will. It is like a different world. I'm glad I grew up and went off to college and grad school. I feel sorry for them, but I also know they simply lack the desire to listen to any reasoning. They are too set in their ways, and it is probably going to bite them in the backside before this pandemic ends. Needless to say though, I won't be going into those areas for along, long time to come.
They could surprise you. My uncle is not much different (Arizona), but after my Mom reminded him about the 3 relatives who had permanent damage from polio, he went right down and got his first shot (has since gotten second). My Mom (in her late 80s) remembers summer after summer having to stay home. My uncle was probably too young to remember it (he's 69 now). He's not concerned about dying. He's concerned about disability and not being able to live on his own.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #81
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I'm vaccinated and the majority of my coworkers are vaccinated and none of us wear masks. We got vaccinated so we don't need to wear them anymore.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:40 PM   #82
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
At work, you know and (probably) trust your co-workers. So yeah, once vaccinated, I wouldn't wear a mask either. But out shopping, where you don't know the people around you? So far, I've been wearing a mask still. I don't trust the unknown strangers around me to be doing the right thing.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:13 PM   #83
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Yes, around family, friends, coworkers, etc. that you know are vaccinated, it probably isn’t that important to mask up. But I totally agree with wearing one in public places where most people are going to be strangers. I only wear a mask when around strangers and/or if in a location where they are required.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #84
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
No, I don't wear it shopping either. I'm hardly around other people when I shop. I avoid crowds and busy times. Always have, I just like to get what I need and leave.

Public places don't scare me. Don't touch stuff, don't touch your face, and wash your hands. I carry hand wipes with me, always have.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:42 PM   #85
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, none of my family members are vaccinated, except for me and my 84-years-old Mum. To my knowledge the rest of them are not going to vaccinate. They just don't care about Covid all that much. Even my sister and her husband, who have had it twice. Nevertheless I don't wear a mask around them. Or anywhere else.

Of course some people in my family may change their mind in the future. Then again, they may not.

Then there are children, who are not vaccinated because of their age, and they go to school, to gym and other places with a lot of people.

I have the impression that many posters here are waiting for the pandemic to end. As in vanish. I really doubt it will end. More likely it will become seasonal, like the flu. And considering the number of people who are not willing to get vaccinated, there will never be any herd immunity either.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #86
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post

Public places don't scare me. Don't touch stuff, don't touch your face, and wash your hands. I carry hand wipes with me, always have.
Same. Except I don't use sanitizers or hand wipes either and touch stuff all the time. And I use public transport regularly. I wash my hands when I get home and that's it.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #87
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Same. Except I don't use sanitizers or hand wipes either and touch stuff all the time. And I use public transport regularly. I wash my hands when I get home and that's it.
We keep hand sanitizer in the cars, but once the "experts" were fairly certain COVID wasn't transmitted on surfaces, we stopped using it all the time.

I do keep wipes in the house, but only use them if someone is ill, or to wipe the counter after I work with raw chicken etc. All other cleaning is soap and water.

And when our granddaughter is here visiting, we use them more because of her egg allergy. She can't even used a shared hand towel or our toaster for example, because of the ability of the egg proteins to stay on surfaces. Their home is 100% egg free, so traveling and visiting takes a lot of planning and care.

Sorry, went on a rabbit trail there...
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #88
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

I do keep wipes in the house, but only use them if someone is ill, or to wipe the counter after I work with raw chicken etc. All other cleaning is soap and water..
Yeah, I would probably keep some at home if I lived with several people or had frequent visitors. As it is, I live alone and almost never have visitors (family gatherings mostly take place at my sister's, who has her own house). So no point in using them at home, either.

When my mom still lived at home, she had similar habits to mine and likewise was very rarely ill, despite her age. Perhaps it's genetics. Or perhaps there's some truth in the opinion that the more diligently you try to avoid germs, the more easily you get sick. I don't know. (Of course I don't mean to say that people with compromised immune systems should not try to avoid germs or use sanitizers.)
Old 07-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #89
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
At work, you know and (probably) trust your co-workers. So yeah, once vaccinated, I wouldn't wear a mask either. But out shopping, where you don't know the people around you? So far, I've been wearing a mask still. I don't trust the unknown strangers around me to be doing the right thing.

The same goes for me.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:43 AM   #90
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Not here. Very few people wear masks where I live, but 44% are vaccinated.

I'm vaccinated and I don't wear a mask.
I think that, in that aspect, there is a big difference between Europe and USA.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote