Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 02:59 PM   #76
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I just finished The Goldfinch Pulitzer prize winning book by Donna Tartt. It is really good. beyond words. only downside is its 774 pages long but it moves along well.
I still haven't gotten to that one, heard mainly good things. Glad you enjoyed!
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:01 PM   #77
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JANUARY 2021 UPDATE

I'm going to update on the last day of the month since I have time today, and don't see myself finishing another book before tomorrow.

Overall I think I did great this month with volume and enjoyment, but not all the goals. Spent a little bit of extra money compared to some months due to series and other tidbits.

Book count is higher due to being in a big reading mood and reading a lot of series binges of books easy to get through, many of them under 300 pages. Page count does not include books I read on, but did not finish, such as 25% of the Stand, some of 2 audio, etc. I don't pay much attention to page count, so I don't feel like counting pages of non-finished works as well as tracking all the other stuff.
  • Read Count - 32
  • Page Count of finished - 8,741
  • Most read Genre: Urban Fantasy
  • Re-Read Just 1, Arc - 1
  • Money Spent on books (not all read) and services: 61.82
  • Primary source was Amazon (80%), mainly series instead of stand-a-lones.

Majority was indie and self-published at 75%. Besides Urban Fantasy, read a drama and some mysteries, and a few romance.

Diversity Stats -
None: 59%; Foreign: 3%; Mental Illness 3%; Combo 6%; Disability 25%; LGBTQ 3%. For romance books only - Straight is 88.9% and LGBT is 7.4%, with one reverse harem.
Age group is 95% Adult with one Middle Grade
Country setting is mainly, as always, with United States at 65%, with 25% in the United Kingdom, 1 in Scotland, 5% marked as unknown

Services Goals -
To not let KU dominate reading, failed that in January. I did have success on second goal to use rental services enough to make cost worth it - Used KU and Scribd enough to justify expense.

Kindle Unlimited: 18 (justified expense)
Scribd: 3 (justified expense)
Audio: 4
E-Book: 26
Paperback: 2

Author Goals -
I did finish one Perry Mason novel by Erle Stanley Gardner, The Case of the Cautious Croquette. I have the goal of finishing 8 of these this year. I previously listened on Audio via Scribd but have a few paperbacks purchased to read and re-read.
I did not meet other author goals; however, I have been re-reading The Stand as my Stephen King goal and am currently at 25%. I also am still working on The Rage by F. Paul Wilson.

Genre Specific Goals -
Did not meet any goals or make progress

Other Goals Listed -
Did not meet any of these goals or make progress

Thoughts on books read

I read a lot of Helen Harper through some series, one purchasable and the rest on KU. I got annoyed at several books but they are like chips you cannot stop consuming until the series is complete. 3 series total and easy reads. I am taking a break from Helen Harper for now other than the original series I read by her, Firebrand, which is the most enjoyable and the only one still in progress of the three series I read (Firebrand, Bo Blackman, Blood Destiny). The next book in the Firebrand series does not have a release date, but the series has spawned a spin-off series that I'm looking forward to. I believe it may be a trilogy. The release date is early February, pre-ordered this one.

I started the year binge reading an Urban Fantasy series by Lindsay Buroker (Death Before Dragons and Secrets of the Sword), and read the first 8 in the series. There is one final book in this series being released in 2021, Secrets of the Sword III, which I am looking forward to. It's set to be released February 2021, I have pre-ordered.

With audio I did the Middle Grade book for a challenge on Twitter - Nightbooks by J.A. White. I also finished The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley - both were good audio. I listened to The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay J Ashford for 75% of the book, then read the rest of it. The narrator is fine but the story was dragging on and I can read quicker than listen, was ready to be done with it. The other Audio was radio stories, Vincent Price Present Volume 4 - it was 2 hours and very fun, I plan to continue with these fun releases on Scribd.
Advert
Old 01-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #78
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Interesting. Those are pretty nifty. I keep seeing mentions of StoryGraph. I am pretty tied into Goodreads, although less active than I used to be - I am going to import my info into Storygraph from GR and check out the site to see if it holds my interest for random updating.

Edited to add - it looks like they are pretty limited with the custom shelves, and like GR, did not have a default wishlist.
What do you mean by "custom shelves"? You can create any tags you like, and they serve the purpose of shelves, unless I'm missing something. Also, what is a default wishlist? The recommendations generated by completing the profile survey are pretty good in my experience, A large number of them have been added to my TBR there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tags.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	185120  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-31-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:28 PM   #79
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What do you mean by "custom shelves"? You can create any tags you like, and they serve the purpose of shelves, unless I'm missing something. Also, what is a default wishlist? The recommendations generated by completing the profile survey are pretty good in my experience, A large number of them have been added to my TBR there.
I may have misunderstood. The tags probably act like Goodreads does where you can set new shelves, which are technically tags. With Wishlist, I remember people were annoyed Goodreads did not add it as a regular shelf by default for new members. Goodreads said the to be read was the wishlist, but for me and others to be read meant books we already had and needed to read. It's not a big deal either way as long as you can create your own shelves and are not forced to only use the 3 options.

I am trying to test it to see, but cannot figure out the spot to add custom shelves so far.

I see the tagging option on a book I added, but not a way to have tag shelves, so the site wouldn't suit my purpose. I section my books off differently than the options they seem to have. I haven't played with the site much but from what I can it keeps things pretty basic.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 01-31-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:36 PM   #80
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I may have misunderstood. The tags probably act like Goodreads does where you can set new shelves, which are technically tags. With Wishlist, I remember people were annoyed Goodreads did not add it as a regular shelf by default for new members. Goodreads said the to be read was the wishlist, but for me and others to be read meant books we already had and needed to read. It's not a big deal either way as long as you can create your own shelves and are not forced to only use the 3 options.

I am trying to test it to see, but cannot figure out the spot to add custom shelves so far.

I see the tagging option on a book I added, but not a way to have tag shelves, so the site wouldn't suit my purpose. I section my books off differently than the options they seem to have. I haven't played with the site much but from what I can it keeps things pretty basic.

So, if I understand correctly, creating a tag called "wishlist" would address that particular issue? But for the other issue, you're looking a being able to group books by multiple tags, e.g. one "shelf" might be: "wishlist", "debut authors", "poetry", "African" - is that more or less right?
Advert
Old 01-31-2021, 07:01 PM   #81
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
So, if I understand correctly, creating a tag called "wishlist" would address that particular issue? But for the other issue, you're looking a being able to group books by multiple tags, e.g. one "shelf" might be: "wishlist", "debut authors", "poetry", "African" - is that more or less right?
I group my main library by To-be-read, Wishlist (which is large), read. I was curious if a default shelf could be created that is wishlist - Goodreads allows this, but did not see an option on this site. If they do not allow a default shelf to be something like Wishlist, then it would have to be put on another shelf (like TBR, which is not accurate, read - which is not accurate) and just have a wishlist tag, which wouldn't help me at all because my read or tbr numbers would be skewed.

Edited to add --- Unless, unlike Goodreads, they allow you to tag a book without adding it a shelf. Such as just adding a wishlist tag to a book without shelving it at all. I didn't see an option to do this, though.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 01-31-2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #82
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Tanks for patiently trying to explain. I guess I'm not tech savvy enough to grok what the functional difference between a tag and a shelf is. I thought it was just a different term for effectively the same thing, that tagging a book "wishlist" would be the same as putting it on a shelf called "wishlist", but obviously I'm missing something.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-31-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:23 PM   #83
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Tanks for patiently trying to explain. I guess I'm not tech savvy enough to grok what the functional difference between a tag and a shelf is. I thought it was just a different term for effectively the same thing, that tagging a book "wishlist" would be the same as putting it on a shelf called "wishlist", but obviously I'm missing something.
No problem, and this isn't something everyone wants - some don't have large wishlists either way. It does look like a neat site, I'm mainly too lazy to sort through my books when moving the full library over there, but it would be useful for me to just track current year read stats perhaps.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:40 AM   #84
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Anybody else having trouble with their challenge count on Goodreads? I just went in to add my current books and it was showing three of the ones I'd finished. Marked today's as read and left a review, which made four on my done list. Or should have ... except half of them disappeared after I added a missing one from a week ago that finally turned up when I searched for it. So now it's trying to tell me I'm 3 books behind when actually I'm right on schedule, because I have read 5 this month despite their counter page insisting on showing just 2. What the heck is up with that? The books that seem to be going missing from people's lists, as far as I can figure out, are from the Prolific Works Winter giveaway.
It's only you, I think. Try to contact them.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #85
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
January turned out to be a rough month. Started off well enough, but I failed to tackle my specific challenges and after spending the last week traveling/away from home (not by choice!), I’m even off my benchmark pace, which isn’t usually an issue for me. According to Goodreads, I’m already four books behind.

So I plan/hope to catch up my benchmark total in February and at least tackle my specific challenges, although they may be already out of reach. I may just cross off January in that regard and go for a new start this month.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #86
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Books Read 10
Books given up on 3
Books bought 35 oops
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #87
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
January wrapup:
Good stuff: Made 3,000 pages. Finished 10 books plus novella.

Ebook TBR up 12 books and audiobook TBR up 5 books. There is some crossover due to Whispersync. Most are parts of series/authors I'm already reading, which was a goal. A couple were strong recommendations from Mobilereads members (Joe Hill, Archer Mayor). A couple were replacements for paper books I used to have and really enjoyed.

No magazines read. Changed from 1 600+ page book per month to a straight 12 books for the year (currently the Dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton).
Overall - I'm mostly irritated with myself that I went over budget for the month. None of my ebooks are more than $2.99 and the audiobooks $2-5 (except Hobbit which was I think $6.95), but they just add up piecemeal.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:25 PM   #88
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Length Goals:
  • Total Books: 75 (stretch goal of 100) (up from 50/75 last year)
  • Total Pages: 25,000
  • E-TBR Reduction: 25
  • Print-TBR Reduction: 10

Substantive Goals:
  • Read at least 51% non-American authors
  • Read more female/nonbinary authors than male
  • Read at least 52 short stories
  • Read at least 10 books across all our collections that are my wife's or that she wants me to read.

January Totals:
  • Total Books: 9 - 12% of goal, 9% of stretch goal - ON TARGET
  • Total Pages: 2483 - 9.5% of goal - ON TARGET
  • Gender Goal: 73% Female, 0% Nonbindary, 27% Male - ON TARGET
  • Country of Origin Goal: 43% USA, 57% out of US - ON TARGET
  • E-TBR Reduction: +3 - ON TARGET
  • Print TBR Reduction: -6* OFF TARGET
  • Short Stories: 6, 11% of goal - ON TARGET
  • Books Recommended by my wife: 1 - 10% of goal ON TARGET

*My wife continues to buy 1-2 books a week from our local independent bookstore and will do until they are able to fully open again post-covid. I expect this to skew my PTBR list all year long, but its for a good cause.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #89
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
January turned out to be a rough month. Started off well enough, but I failed to tackle my specific challenges and after spending the last week traveling/away from home (not by choice!), I’m even off my benchmark pace, which isn’t usually an issue for me. According to Goodreads, I’m already four books behind.

So I plan/hope to catch up my benchmark total in February and at least tackle my specific challenges, although they may be already out of reach. I may just cross off January in that regard and go for a new start this month.
Sorry January ended up a rough reading month - sounds like it was a busy one.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #90
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
Books Read 10
Books given up on 3
Books bought 35 oops
And I thought I spent too much in January