Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #76
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
"I can't upgrade because XYZ". The only value for XYZ that I am aware of is "I want to DeDRM my purchases, and the upgraded version doesn't support that".
That's not quote true. You can disable KFX downloads, and thereby allow DeDRM, using even the most recent version of Kindle for PC. It just takes a couple of additional steps to do it. See Method 2 under Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 (and later) and KFX in calibre.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #77
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, 1.17 will eventually stop working. Just like the previous version did. When that happens, I'll move to one of the other workarounds.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #78
Phthon
Phthon began at the beginning.

Device: none
[QUOTE=jhowell;4051217]Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "updates" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update each time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.

------

Hello,

I feel strange running a batch file without know exactly what it does. I have no problem doing things manually. I cannot tell if I create a .txt file and name it updates without the extension or if I am on the wrong track. Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks!
Phthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #79
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phthon View Post
I feel strange running a batch file without know exactly what it does.
The batch file removes the existing "updates" folder, located at "%LocalAppData%\Amazon\Kindle\updates", and creates a file of the same name in its place.

Quote:
I cannot tell if I create a .txt file and name it updates without the extension or if I am on the wrong track.
Yes. That is one way to do it.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
[QUOTE=Phthon;4056364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Another way to disable Kindle for PC updates is to replace the "updates" folder with a file of the same name. That prevents an update from being downloaded. Kindle for PC will still ask if you want to download the new update each time it is restarted, but it will not be able to do so.

I have created a simple Windows batch file to preform this change. See attached.

------

Hello,

I feel strange running a batch file without know exactly what it does. I have no problem doing things manually. I cannot tell if I create a .txt file and name it updates without the extension or if I am on the wrong track. Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks!
Yes, you would create an updates file with no file extension.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #81
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I feel strange running a batch file without know exactly what it does. I have no problem doing things manually.
A batch file is just a text file that contains commands from the command processors allowable set, entered using correct syntax. You can look at it and see what it does. It is human-readable.

(Well, I guess a batch file doesn't technically have to contain allowable commands or even be syntactically correct - but then, it wouldn't work.)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:41 PM   #82
Zora
Enthusiast
Zora began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Nexus tablet
Happened to me, 11-5. Tried to delete new verson, re-install old version, didn't work, descended into tech support hell. I was told that I was not allowed to use older versions. Help! I want to be in control of my books.
Zora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #83
lena45
lena45 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello, i have the same problem and i want to downgrade it, how to do please? Thanks
lena45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #84
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try installing and registering the current version. Then without uninstalling, install the older version. See info at the end of the first post here about getting older versions and keeping them from updating: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
Old 11-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #85
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
"I can't upgrade because XYZ". The only value for XYZ that I am aware of is "I want to DeDRM my purchases, and the upgraded version doesn't support that".
I admit, "I want to DeDRM my purchases" is a pretty persuasive value. But also I don't like the newer version of K4PC because it is slower. It's slower to load, for sure. And I can download multiple books simultaneously in version 1.17. In the new version that Amazon tried to force on me, I couldn't. Also, version 1.17 has a black background that is easier on the eyes. The new version had a white background, though maybe it has a setting to change the look. Also, I don't like being forced to upgrade. If it's that important for me to upgrade, then persuade me. Don't hijack my computer and force it on me.

Amazon's K4PC behavior is making me increasingly reluctant to purchase kindle books (thank goodness for Kobo!) To the extent that others are like me, it seems to be counter-productive on Amazon's part. Granted, Amazon is such a behemoth that it may not have to care.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #86
Phillip21
Phillip21 began at the beginning.

Device: Pipo Max M1
Thank you jhowell

Your batch file worked for me with Kindle 1.26/Calibre 4.23, and I hope I will be able to stick with those versions for some time - and thus prolong the life of my 2013 e-book reader!
Phillip21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #87
Me_ri
Me_ri began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libre
I've read everything and it's been very informative. Neither the batch file nor creating the updates and temp folders in the Kindle directory worked for me.

It looks like I would have to downgrade to Calibre 4.23 (already have been using Kindle4PC 1.17 for years, etc.)

Does anyone know if Epubor works? Or is that not a good program? I have plenty to read for right now, so it's not an emergency for me.
Me_ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #88
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_ri View Post
I've read everything and it's been very informative. Neither the batch file nor creating the updates and temp folders in the Kindle directory worked for me.

It looks like I would have to downgrade to Calibre 4.23 (already have been using Kindle4PC 1.17 for years, etc.)

Does anyone know if Epubor works? Or is that not a good program? I have plenty to read for right now, so it's not an emergency for me.
Epubor basically steals the DeDRM code so I would not suggest sending them any money.

My workaround for the current situation to to have calibre 5 installed and a portable install of calibre 4.23 x64) (I installed the 32 bit portable version and then unpacked the 64 bit MSI and copied the program file directory into the portable install -- worked like a charm).

For disabling KFX downloads, I've been using the batch file from here to block KFX downloads. The only caveat is that I also set the default device to my Apple device to prevent a KFX download from sneaking in before they are blocked.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:01 AM   #89
lkmiller
Laura

No need for Epubor. It's just a different interface on top of DeDRM's code.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:11 PM   #90
remmons
remmons began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus
Kobo advantages

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
I admit, "I want to DeDRM my purchases" is a pretty persuasive value. But also I don't like the newer version of K4PC because it is slower. It's slower to load, for sure. And I can download multiple books simultaneously in version 1.17. In the new version that Amazon tried to force on me, I couldn't. Also, version 1.17 has a black background that is easier on the eyes. The new version had a white background, though maybe it has a setting to change the look. Also, I don't like being forced to upgrade. If it's that important for me to upgrade, then persuade me. Don't hijack my computer and force it on me.

Amazon's K4PC behavior is making me increasingly reluctant to purchase kindle books (thank goodness for Kobo!) To the extent that others are like me, it seems to be counter-productive on Amazon's part. Granted, Amazon is such a behemoth that it may not have to care.
I haven't used Kobo. Why do you think it is better? Are the books DRMed?
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, update