Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2023, 04:42 PM   #76
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Amazon Kindle basic
Hello.Do i have to put renameotabin folder to just extentions folder?Or to extentions subfolder that is inside the extensions folder?

Click image for larger version

Name:	aa1f4dbe23f6374a21fd52c302ff935e.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	200043

Last edited by issybird; 03-01-2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Colossal image thumbnailed. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size before posting again.
kos25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:17 PM   #77
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
First choice
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 02:40 AM   #78
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
First choice
first choise among the two options i said?Or the first folder on photo?Also the correct file is from post #25?I mean is universal for all devices?

Last edited by kos25k; 03-01-2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:19 AM   #79
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
“extensions” must contain separate directories directly.

Maybe you can try first and see it for yourself?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:18 AM   #80
kos25k
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
“extensions” must contain separate directories directly.

Maybe you can try first and see it for yourself?
So subfolder extentions shouldn't be there?I should,but newbie here to e-books and already jb took me many hours to find the correct files.I remember i had made an extra step that didnt know if it was needed (kual helper)So i am worried now if my jb will be lost.Btw thanks a lot for your help 😇
Advert
Old 03-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #81
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos25k View Post
So subfolder extentions shouldn't be there?I should,but newbie here to e-books and already jb took me many hours to find the correct files.I remember i had made an extra step that didnt know if it was needed (kual helper)So i am worried now if my jb will be lost.Btw thanks a lot for your help 😇
Do not put an extensions directory inside an already existing extensions directory.

As long as you do not do a firmware update followed by a reset you will not lose your jailbreak.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:21 PM   #82
kos25k
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do not put an extensions directory inside an already existing extensions directory.

As long as you do not do a firmware update followed by a reset you will not lose your jailbreak.
Thanks.To be honest idk how this extensions subfolder has been created there.So now to block OTA updates (so to just transfer files between PC) i put the extracted renameota.zip (3 subfolders) inside the main extensions folder.
Old 03-01-2023, 01:40 PM   #83
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos25k View Post
Thanks.To be honest idk how this extensions subfolder has been created there.So now to block OTA updates (so to just transfer files between PC) i put the extracted renameota.zip (3 subfolders) inside the main extensions folder.
The renameotabin.zip in post #25 has a top folder named renameotabin which contains 2 ordinary files and 1 subfolder named bin which contains 2 shell scripts.

Put the renameotabin folder and all its contents as is into the top level extensions folder on your G: drive.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:14 PM   #84
leifan89
Enthusiast
leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'leifan89 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage, Hisense A9, reMarkable 2
Hello!

I have a Kindle Oasis 3 on FW 5.14.2, I just used KOReader's file explorer to check the /usr/bin directory and I do not see either otaupd or otav3 binaries.

Instead, I see a /usr/bin/checkUpdate.sh file. Reading the script, it seems to check for updates with Amazon, but I can't tell for sure.

Do you know if this OTA script is still expected to work for KOA3 on 5.14.2?

Thanks!

Edit: Never mind - I was wrong, doing an `ls /usr/bin` does show it in the terminal emulator, I guess KOReader's file explorer doesn't show binaries that it can't read

Last edited by leifan89; 03-21-2023 at 11:29 PM.
leifan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #85
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Just a KUAL extension for ota binaries rename/restore.
Reboots automatically, no need to kill the processes manually.
Does this work on a 5.13.7.1 Jailbroken KOA3?
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:46 PM   #86
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelschraube View Post
Does this work on a 5.13.7.1 Jailbroken KOA3?
Does anyone have secure information on this?
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:55 PM   #87
airotkiv
airotkiv began at the beginning.

Device: KV + KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelschraube View Post
Does anyone have secure information on this?
I have the same and it does work.
airotkiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:41 AM   #88
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
Just curious as it seems obvious to me but I can't find anything about it

Do we know where the kindles go for updates?

If we do we can add those to the network's DNS block lists or PiHole or the like to prevent OTA updates. Not that I'm saying that instead of this, more like having an extra layer of protection, like Birth Control + Condoms, it doesn't hurt to have more protection... I just don't understand why I can't find anything about it, even a "I tried this & it didn't work because Amazon uses multiple locations & if one is blocked it jumps to the next"
Thought this was the best place to ask, but if one doesn't exist I'll create a new Thread for it
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 07:50 AM   #89
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
Can't remember exactly, but this is what I used in past to generate the list of things to block on the Kindle itself.

Code:
# Block unwanted domains with the /etc/hosts file
echo ".d" | sqlite3 /opt/var/local/reg/ServerConfig.db \
    | awk -F, '/VALUES/ {gsub(/\047/,""); gsub(/\;\)/,""); print $3}' \
    | grep -o '.*\..*\..*' \
    | grep -Ev 'com.lab126|DOMAIN|WEBSITE|THUMB|openid.assoc_handle' \
    | sed 's/);//;
            s/^http:\/\///;
            s/^https:\/\///;
            s/\/.*//;s/:.*//;
            s/|/\n/g;
            /^\./d;
            /^\[/d;
            /^$/d' \
    | sort -u \
    | while read -r; do
         echo "Blocking host : $REPLY"
         grep -q "$REPLY" /etc/hosts || echo "127.0.0.1 $REPLY" >> /etc/hosts
     done
From an old backup, I think it's this one in particular to block updates, but it was a long time ago....
Code:
127.0.0.1 firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com

Last edited by trcm; 07-06-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: add
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #90
LostOnTheLine
Connoisseur
LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LostOnTheLine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (PW1|PW3|PW4), Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcm View Post
Can't remember exactly, but this is what I used in past to generate the list of things to block on the Kindle itself.

Code:
# Block unwanted domains with the /etc/hosts file
echo ".d" | sqlite3 /opt/var/local/reg/ServerConfig.db \
    | awk -F, '/VALUES/ {gsub(/\047/,""); gsub(/\;\)/,""); print $3}' \
    | grep -o '.*\..*\..*' \
    | grep -Ev 'com.lab126|DOMAIN|WEBSITE|THUMB|openid.assoc_handle' \
    | sed 's/);//;
            s/^http:\/\///;
            s/^https:\/\///;
            s/\/.*//;s/:.*//;
            s/|/\n/g;
            /^\./d;
            /^\[/d;
            /^$/d' \
    | sort -u \
    | while read -r; do
         echo "Blocking host : $REPLY"
         grep -q "$REPLY" /etc/hosts || echo "127.0.0.1 $REPLY" >> /etc/hosts
     done
From an old backup, I think it's this one in particular to block updates, but it was a long time ago....
Code:
127.0.0.1 firs-ta-g7g.amazon.com
Thanks. Was it just one that needed to be blocked? & does anyone know if the reason 5.12+ sneaks updates is because they changed that?
LostOnTheLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
renameotabin, update blocker